Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BC Resident buying restricted in Alberta

So, I am heading to Calgary for a few days next month and am wondering if there's anything holding me back from picking up a new pistol there and driving it home to BC.

I have an RPAL and a range membership. Can I file a transfer while I'm there and drive it back, or are there any restrictions based on provincial borders?

I have my doubts you would get a registration cert in time. Having said that, I was speaking to the folks behind the counter @ the LGS in Bonnyville and they said if you tell the CFO you are from out of town, they would sometimes move you to the top of the pile so you could take it home same day.

I would expect to pick something out and pay the $30-40 shipping from them to mail it to you.

I don't think there is any verbiage about province to province, it just says from where purchased to where you store it.
    A gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one, you'll never need one again.

Thanks. I'm there 5 days...I figure it can't hurt to try. I might as well save the PST.

I purchased a firearm on-line a couple of weeks ago and it took the CFO about 9 working days for the registration to be completed. I suspect this is a busy time for firearm purchases. I purchased one in January and it took 2 days.

Quote Originally Posted by BVan View Post
    Thanks. I'm there 5 days...I figure it can't hurt to try. I might as well save the PST.
    Don't be surprised to get an invoice in the mail from BC Minister of Finance for the PST. Legally you are required to pay the PST on all taxable goods brought into BC. If you buy it in AB and have the store ship it to you in BC they are required to charge you the PST and send it to the BC gov't. If you bring it in you are required to send the PST in yourself. BC and Feds cooperate whenever they can in identifying unpaid PST. I recently bought a sailboat privately and had to register it Federally, Feds provide BC with registration info on BC residents so they sent me a $1200 PST tax bill. A friend had the same thing with a small private airplane he bought in Calgary and brought to BC. Not sure if they do this with gun registrations but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.
    I'm an accountant (CPA,CGA) and former Accounting Professor so have some knowledge in this area. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by BCGUY12 View Post
    Don't be surprised to get an invoice in the mail from BC Minister of Finance for the PST. Legally you are required to pay the PST on all taxable goods brought into BC. If you buy it in AB and have the store ship it to you in BC they are required to charge you the PST and send it to the BC gov't. If you bring it in you are required to send the PST in yourself. BC and Feds cooperate whenever they can in identifying unpaid PST. I recently bought a sailboat privately and had to register it Federally, Feds provide BC with registration info on BC residents so they sent me a $1200 PST tax bill. A friend had the same thing with a small private airplane he bought in Calgary and brought to BC. Not sure if they do this with gun registrations but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.
    I'm an accountant (CPA,CGA) and former Accounting Professor so have some knowledge in this area. ;-)
    Can't comment on guns and BC tax apart from that if we sell a gun to someone in BC we can't collect the PST. What happens after we ship it is unknown to me.
    I did get a PST tax bill for a boat I purchased in Alberta but kept at Okanagan Lake, that surprised me.
    Just another reason i don't live in B.C.. I love the real estate but the government, like ours now, leaves a lot to be desired.

Quote Originally Posted by 50 B.M.G. View Post
    Can't comment on guns and BC tax apart from that if we sell a gun to someone in BC we can't collect the PST. What happens after we ship it is unknown to me.
    I did get a PST tax bill for a boat I purchased in Alberta but kept at Okanagan Lake, that surprised me.
    Just another reason i don't live in B.C.. I love the real estate but the government, like ours now, leaves a lot to be desired.
    No, you don't collect BC Tax if sale is made in AB (regardless of where the buyer resides) but if shipped directly from store to an address in BC, the BC PST is supposed to be charged to the customer and sent to BC Finance.

Should have also noted that I worked (and taught) Accounting in AB from 1993-2013 before returning home to BC. Many AB stores are not aware of PST laws in other provinces that require them to charge provincial PST when shipping to provinces that have PST. One AB company I worked for was assessed $50k in unpaid BC PST and penalties for not properly declaring and paying BC PST just prior to when I started working for them. They also shipped into SK and MB and had to remit PST to those provinces as well. PST auditors know that there are a lot of inter-provincial PST that they are not capturing and look for ways to track it, including various government cooperation agreements. Again, not positive about the firearms registration but would not be surprised.
    Last edited by BCGUY12; 05-19-2017 at 02:49 PM. Reason: added comments

Quote Originally Posted by BCGUY12 View Post
    No, you don't collect BC Tax if sale is made in AB (regardless of where the buyer resides) but if shipped directly from store to an address in BC, the BC PST is supposed to be charged to the customer and sent to BC Finance.
    This is correct. If you pick up in person, no PST is charged. If shipped, PST is added to the bill. All that said, I also have an Alberta address (hooray for upside-down real estate I can't sell!!).

9. The Following User Liked This Post By BVan

BCGUY12 (05-19-2017)

Taxes aside(Provinces are in cahoots over getting their cut these days.), there's no reason you can't buy a restricted firearm anywhere, except for the lag time for the transfer. That part will take longer if you're a new shooter buying for the first time.

I just ordered a Glock from Nick in QC. I spoke to the guy to process the transfer and he seems confidant that the approval will be coming through within like a week.
    I'm suppose to call back for them to ship it to me in ON when I get the transfer paper in the mail.
    So far it doesn't seem any more of a hassle than going to some place closer where I have to pick it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast