Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cooey Mod 64B semi auto

This rifle was given to me. Yes it is mine to keep. The stock was almost broken in half at the for grip. Slider was stiff. Stock was an ugly dark chocolate color. Worked on the stock. Used gorilla wood glue to fix it. while waiting for that to be fixed, I started on the slider. Started cleaning it. It works a little better. It also needed a magazine. Found new ones at Canadian tire, Under the Savage Brand, Also made in Canada. $24.99. Once the stock was dried, About two days. I started sanding it. Cleaned all the dark finish off. Fixed a big chip in the butt stock with JB Weld wood. That stuff worked great. But will not stain to good. Stain the stock with American walnut stain . It is a nice honey color now. Put two coats of sealer on that. Rifle looks straight, And very nice. Took it out yesterday. Need the step adjuster for the rear leaf sight. At 100yrds it was hitting pop cans. But was not cycling properly. I had to push the bolt forward for the next shot. It only had to go forward a hair. It would work for a couple rounds, And you would have to push the bolt forward again. I will work on it today. Raining here. Forgot to mention. The barrel was rusty, I used the cooper penny lite oil method. Cleaned the rust off and the blueing is still good. If you do this, Make sure the penny is an old one. The newer ones were made out of zinc. Good day and happy hunting. Will try to post pictures later.
    CCFR, Member.

2. The Following User Liked This Post By ruger#1

Newbgunner (06-18-2017)

Good job. Those are nice little guns. As for step adjuster, I have used in teh past a finishing nail and it may just be what you need. Might want to give it a try in the meantime.

4. The Following User Liked This Post By neos

ruger#1 (06-18-2017)

Last edited by ruger#1; 06-19-2017 at 11:12 AM.

CCFR, Member.

I have a similar Cooey 64. It wouldn't cycle anything but high velocity stuff. I tried CCI minimags and some Winchester HV stuff, both of which reliably cycled the bolt, but only the CCI was accurate for me. My rifle seems to like being well lubricated. YMMV.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By Scotlas

ruger#1 (06-21-2017)

I was using Blazer 22 LR. Never tried them before. Looks like they are made by CCI/Speer. I cleaned the bolt with action cleaner. Then blew that out with air. I put a coat of lite gun oil on it. My buddy used to have one. He cleaned his action with diesel. Said it work good.
    CCFR, Member.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotlas View Post
    I have a similar Cooey 64. It wouldn't cycle anything but high velocity stuff. I tried CCI minimags and some Winchester HV stuff, both of which reliably cycled the bolt, but only the CCI was accurate for me. My rifle seems to like being well lubricated. YMMV.
    I have two that I got in a package deal ; the two I have also like the HV ammo....
    " Better To Fight For Something , Than Live For Nothing " ; " When In Doubt....ATTACK ".......Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Gunexpert007

ruger#1 (06-21-2017)

Junior Member Happiness is a warm gun's Avatar
    The Savage 64 is the same gun. Did you remove the barrel from the action and clean it out? Odds are your recoil spring is worn out, so just order one from Savage. They are located in Lakefield Ontario.

13. The Following User Liked This Post By Happiness is a warm gun

ruger#1 (06-21-2017)

Looks like a nice little gun you got there.

15. The Following User Liked This Post By neos

ruger#1 (06-21-2017)

Took it out today. First five shots were fine. The rest would jam or not fire. I can see were the slider is rubbing against magazine. It is like the magazine is to tight to the slider. I pulled the magazine down, And it rattled off six shells in a row. The magazine is made by Savage. I might have to shave the top down a bit. It was getting hot close to noon. 27c. So I went home to cool down. Lots of fun.
    CCFR, Member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast