Thread: Longbow Dueling

Longbow Dueling

I'm not sure if this has ever been attempted before, but I thought it would be fun to try. My friend and I had a dueling challenge with a longbow. I'm looking into the possibility of hosting events for all kinds of things (guns, bows, crossbows, spears etc...) so I wanted to see what was possible as far as recording was concerned.

Basically, we both shoot at a target and the first person who hits the target wins the round. If someone releases first but misses and the other guy hits his target, he gets the point. Pretty simple. We had an air pistol as a starter gun so when the shooter hears that he draws and shoot. This concept can be improved and used for a variety of interesting dueling ideas. Also, we recorded a couple of hit/death shots for fun and I think it worked out pretty well. I'd like to hear any feedback on what I can do to improve before real events are hosted.

I guess we're taking advantage of the updated dueling laws in Canada

An air pistol as a starter gun would be hard to hear. If you have access to IPSC timers use that.
    You may want to look at the SCA's (Society for Creative Anachronism. www.SCA.org) advancing fighter course of fire too. Targets are coloured drawings of an armoured fighter starting at 70 down to 20 ten yards apart. Time on target is 5 seconds with any shot after time discounted. Recorded count down with the voice saying the distance 5 times fairly slow then changing.
    The SCA also does what they call 'Clout'. 30' diameter circle(usually crenelated hay bales, but rope works too) at 100 yards. Sometimes with a large drawing of an armoured knight inside. Idea is to put 6 arrows into the circle. One point per arrow. Two points if you hit the fighter. Isn't as easy as it sounds.
    There are no updated dueling laws. The idiots just decriminalized dueling. Junior did that faster that the dope smokin' laws. snicker.

I understand what you're saying about the air pistol being hard to hear. It wasn't a problem for us but we do have an actual starter gun that could be used to fix that. You did give me some interesting ideas and I thank you for that.

go oldschool

MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo9mm View Post
    go oldschool

hahaha... I do consider myself an old school type of fellow. I think I'll stick to the starter gun next time. The air pistol was fine but I can see it being an issue during firearm events. (because of people using hearing protection. I don't own a whistle but it is a good idea for sure.

"...an actual starter gun..." Dickie Davis at Second Chance used a .38 blank in a revolver. He'd point the thing at himself to check how many he had left. Funny.
    The types of shoots are only limited by your imagination. Balloons on a string or an apple on top of a human shaped target is kind of fun too. Willy Tell was a crossbowman though. snicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    "Balloons on a string or an apple on top of a human shaped target is kind of fun too. Willy Tell was a crossbowman though. snicker.
    For sure, i've shot at balloons before (usually with a Mosin Nagant) They are fun to shoot because of the sporadic nature of it.

Been rating apple size in the supermarket by how easy or difficult it'd be. snicker.
    Balloons are good for a .22 pistol shoot too. Cheap and easy to set up. Needs a fan indoors though.