Zeiss Failure Below -25c?

https://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/...technical-data

Only functional between -25/+50c?

Does that imply distortion, cracked housing, or lenses knocked out of alignment?

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Well...metal expands and contracts with temperature change as we all know. Scopes are made (supposedly...depending on manufacturer) to some pretty tight tolerances. My interpretation of their operating temp range is that once you're outside of that range, they wont guarantee that the scope remains as accurate as they would like. Its one of the few conditions that they cant compensate for.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

The best advice I've found says that the seals may leak, letting air inside the tube. Not much said about the subject, really. I never noticed a difference at the range at -30c.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    The thing is, if they say +30 max temp, somebody will try +40. If they say +40, somebody will try +50. If they said +100C, some idiot would put it in their oven just to torture test is at 110C, and then right a long critical review on the net of how bad the product was.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

I'm guessing that the limits are more regarding the seals as noted, but a quick email or phone call to the company would probably the way I'd go to find out.