Used my bear spray for the first time on Wednesday

So, I was at the cottage. Woke up Wednesday morning went into the living room and opened the blinds to find a Mama Black bear and her two cubs on the deck. They were just sniffing around so I was content to let them be. It's happened a couple times over the years but this was the first one with cubs. I called over to the neighbours just to let them know they were out there and not to go outside.

However in the time it took to make the call, the bears had made their way over to the neighbours property. I got a call right back saying the parents/grandparents were in the cottage and the kids (girls 9 and 7) were in the wooden playhouse with the bears in between.

So, I grabbed the can of bear spray, truflare launcher and bear bangers, and just in case, my Winchester Defender 12ga and a box of Federal slugs that I had on hand and went out the front door towards the road (bears were on the other side towards the lake) and was able to get up on the neighbours roof.

Well Mama saw me. She grunted and stomped the ground a couple times which sent the cubs scurrying. So I sprayed her. She went about 50 feet or so and stopped and turned around. She looked like she was going to come back, so I fired off a banger and that got her running. Let off another soi it went further down range just to be safe.

Good to know the spray works, at least with a bear basically standing still.

The neighbour called the MNR and was basically asked how many times they've seen them, what were they doing ect and was told if they keep coming around, then MNR will look at relocating them.

2. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By soulchaser

Rory McCanuck (08-05-2017), ruger#1 (08-06-2017)

You are very brave.

I would not want to face a bear with anything smaller than a 30 caliber.

Memeber of CSSA, OFAH

4. The Following User Liked This Post By linung

Waterloomike (08-05-2017)

well done! you know how to evaluate the comportemental aspect....body language tells a lot on bear intentions ; the head bent forward paws dragging the ground is no good. however seems like mommy was more interested into getting out of the way with the
    cubs than anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbes/Hutton View Post
    I was hoping he would show up and do something useful in front of the cameras. Like beat the flames out with his face.

I've seen and heard of bear spray failing to work more times that I would care to stake my life on.

7. The Following User Liked This Post By Drache

Waterloomike (08-05-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    I've seen and heard of bear spray failing to work more times that I would care to stake my life on.
    No doubt.

But I had the advantage being elevated and she was relatively stationary.

If I was on the same level as her, I would have said f--k the bear spray and the 12ga would have been ready to go in case she charged or went at the kids in the play house

9. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By soulchaser

Drache (08-05-2017), ruger#1 (08-06-2017), Waterloomike (08-05-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    seems like it depends (not the underwear,while it might be handy in such scenario ) of the bear size.

with the relatively small black bears we have here, it seems to work pretty good , BUT not sure i'd confront a full size grizz or brown bear with only bangers and bear spray on hands,and that it would work enough to provide me the necessary gap to escape an angry 1200 beast running at me...
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbes/Hutton View Post
    I was hoping he would show up and do something useful in front of the cameras. Like beat the flames out with his face.