Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    How to Remove Rust From Your Gun Using A Penny - Easy, Safe & Effective
    CLAC, Member, Local 66
    CCFR, Member.

2. The Following User Liked This Post By ruger#1

Dewey Cox (08-30-2017)

I gotta reblue my Mossberg its got some rust spots same with my cooey.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

Manitoba, with Liberals to the East, NDP to the west, Book-ended by village idiots
    One option you might want to look in to is DuraBlue™ Spray-On Bluing.
    I have used this product on 4 pitted and rusted oldies but goldies firearms with good results. The guns were fairly pitted at the start.
    I first took the original blueing and rust off starting with assorted media - 120 grit wet-dry sandpaper, 000 steel wool finally down to 2000 grit wet dry. Got right down to bare metal. Then degreased and used the product (in my case the midnight black-blue) as directed. Got a real deep clean finish and each can will do 2 firearms if used as directed.

The maker is Lauer Custom Weaponry. They ship up to Canada quickly. Check them out on YouTube.
    Takes about 30 days to fully cure. Just waiting for small game season to put these refinished firearms through their paces to assess the durability of the product. Should be a good test of a 12 ga sxs, 2 single break action Winchester 370's and a break action .410. More of an endurance test because the testing will be done by 4 relatively new hunters who are hard charging and tough on their gear.

Product pkg'd like this. IMG_0586.JPG

Don't do this if you want to preserve the original blueing.
    Last edited by GTW; 08-31-2017 at 09:49 AM.
    "Mr. Speaker, we really could replace him (Justin Trudeau) with a cardboard cutout, and his peanut gallery wouldn't know the difference"

Wonder about using copper wire? to rub off the rust? I got a bunch of clean copper wiring from wiring my garage.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    Wonder about using copper wire? to rub off the rust? I got a bunch of clean copper wiring from wiring my garage.
    I have considered bronze wool. Used in woodworking and marine applications as it will not rust if any is left when finishing.
    cookin' up a batch of fun (and pasta)

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

I have had many old guns that were rusted and pitted.
    At first I used to buff them and polish them with a wheel.
    They were still old guns when I had spent countless hours on trying to make them new looking again.
    Then I learned a little trick, just sand them and use a wire wheel brush to take off most of the heavy rust.
    Clean the barrel good and then spray the whole outfit with [contactor grade black shiny paint], that you can buy at CTC.
    It is very cheap and one or two coats and you have a not bad looking gun.
    I can take it out in the rain and with just a quick wipe I can put it away till the next time I use it.
    It is still and old gun but it works, and it stops the rust.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12