Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Derusting and rebluing

Hey all, just joined the site so forgive me if this has been done already but I'm kinda new to forums. I recently inherited several firearms from my father. Some have a bit of light rust which I've researched on how to deal with. However there are a couple that are in very bad shape. They're basically worthless shotguns however they hold sentimental value to me. Are the do it yourself bluing kits worth the effort and do they really last? Or is it worth it to have them professionally cleaned and blued? All other sites I have looked at are American so pricing isn't really accurate. Does anyone know how much it costs to have this done around here? Also in terms of removing the light rust, I've read that a 0000 steel wool, used dry can keep much of the original finish intact. Any thoughts would help. Thanks

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    Welcome to GOC.

"worthless shotguns",?. To have them refinished professionally you will end up with expensive worthless shotguns. There are good results to be had with bluing kits but usually only when you start with a good condition firearm. If the rust has pitted the gun, it will always have the pitted area. I have a old .22 that was looking its age. I did the 0000 steel wool to remove surface rust (light dusting) . It has a brown patina from age and I left that alone. Rubbed in some grease to stop anymore corrosion gave the stock a waxing with furniture wax and left it at that. Now it looks almost as rough as when my dad gave it to me many years ago! Sentiment is memories and no amount of money spent can improve them.
    cookin' up a batch of fun (and pasta)

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

3. The Following User Liked This Post By FALover

Rory McCanuck (08-07-2017)

I learned how to remove rust with electrolysis lately and if you want all the rust gone for 100% certain that's what you need to do. Remove the surface rust first with that steel wool. Then do the electrolysis bath.

Sent from my E6560T using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Liked This Post By Joshua13

Swampdonkey (08-07-2017)

I heard electrolysis can remove the bluing as well

My condolences on your loss.
    "...do it yourself bluing kits..." If you mean the ones with tanks and chemicals, not worth the expense for just a few firearms. 0000 steel wool(pricey enough these days) and light oil(Not dry. And 'light oil' is 3-in-One or regular gun oil.) will remove surface rust without bothering the rest of the finish. Do that and then use any cold bluing if there are spots where the existing bluing is gone.
    Like FALover says, nothing will fix pitting. Professionally cleaned and blued will cost a fortune. Starts at $175 per firearm for a bead blasted flat finish at Epp's in Orillia, Ont. $300 for a high gloss bluing job. Not many shops do hot bluing any more. It requires a great deal of hand work and a room with no other ferrous metals in it.
    And they came from your pop. They're priceless. Even if they're not worth a pile of cash.

Use a copper penny and gun oil. Make sure it is copper. Oil the rusted spot. Then rub the penny back and forth across the rusted part. It will remove the rust. It will not scratch the metal or remove the blueing. Just the rust.
    CLAC, Member, Local 66
    CCFR, Member.

Manitoba, with Liberals to the East, NDP to the west, Book-ended by village idiots
    You want a 1996 penny or earlier as the copper content was 98% copper. Later than that you get into zinc and steel pennies which won't work.
    "Mr. Speaker, we really could replace him (Justin Trudeau) with a cardboard cutout, and his peanut gallery wouldn't know the difference"

10. The Following User Liked This Post By GTW

ruger#1 (08-30-2017)

Could you just use copper pipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Join the CSSA. Its the least you can do.

Manitoba, with Liberals to the East, NDP to the west, Book-ended by village idiots
    Never tried. I imagine you could cut off a piece, pound it flat and it should work imo.
    "Mr. Speaker, we really could replace him (Justin Trudeau) with a cardboard cutout, and his peanut gallery wouldn't know the difference"

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
    Could you just use copper pipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LOL, Are you doing a barrel on a tank? I seen some copper wool somewhere. I just whish I could remember where. It should work as long as it is copper. Rub it lightly on the spot. I have done 3 rifles this way. You do have to degrease the barrel before blueing.
    CLAC, Member, Local 66
    CCFR, Member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast