Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    my mistake, I thought the dials were for adjusting

on a more serious note, OP, sight pushers are quite easy to construct from C clamps as mentioned earlier

I find it bizarre they sell these firearms that out of the box are only vaguely sighted in. In a country where most hardware stores do not stock brass punches, why have the requirement that the owner will do these mods? On the old Cooey, there is a single screw holding the rear sight and it allows some pivoting. At least with that they only assumed you had a screwdriver. Of course it doesn't stand up to bumping as well as these modern designs, but at least it starts with a modest assumption of what the 22 owner needs.

In the future I am going to look for windage adjustable design out of the box. I don't intend to put a scope or red dot on every 22, and there are only certain models of 22 for which after-market sights are available. Well, there are always the rail mounting sight options, but the front sight can be the item where you need something compatible with the rifle model.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    on a more serious note, OP, sight pushers are quite easy to construct from C clamps as mentioned earlier
    Is this the design where you make a blank notch in the C clamp with a dremel tool which I don't have?

The commercial products for this seem to be all pistol solutions. There is something from Brownells which is OK for the 10/22 front sight, but some rifles have front sight screwed in and windage is on the rear sight.

The principle is right for making micro adjustments not doable on the hammer method.

I'm actually moving back to Iron sights. Since I got RX glasses, and figured a way to see my target better.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

Do you mean standard iron sights with a V notch, or something like peep sights? Both are known as "iron sights". I asked my eye doctor about shooting and glasses and he didn't have any suggestion on how to tweak the prescription. I know of a guy roughly my age who takes off his prescription glasses to shoot with peep sights - they may have been "target aperture sights". He said he could see the target better with peep sights than just looking at the target by eyeball.

I have suspected slit diffraction could explain what he noticed.

The red lines represent light waves. As light passes through a narrow slit, it has a magnifying effect.
    It is hard to find something out there backing up my thought on this, but I found this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airy_disk#Aiming_sight

Aiming sight
    Some weapon aiming sights (e.g. FN FNC) require the user to align a peep sight (rear, nearby sight, i.e. which will be out of focus) with a tip (which should be focused and overlaid on the target) at the end of the barrel. When looking through the peep sight, the user will notice an Airy disk that will help center the sight over the pin.

Another fun one, the FR8 has no standalone windage adjustment, but the front sight is slightly tilted to give it some windage change.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies. - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by labradort View Post
    Do you mean standard iron sights with a V notch, or something like peep sights? Both are known as "iron sights". I asked my eye doctor about shooting and glasses and he didn't have any suggestion on how to tweak the prescription. I know of a guy roughly my age who takes off his prescription glasses to shoot with peep sights - they may have been "target aperture sights". He said he could see the target better with peep sights than just looking at the target by eyeball.

The red lines represent light waves. As light passes through a narrow slit, it has a magnifying effect.
    It is hard to find something out there backing up my thought on this, but I found this:

V notch, peep, etc..Most of my sights are peep or V notch. Something other than red dot or scope.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

Quote Originally Posted by labradort View Post

I have never looked into the science, but it does work. After some "creative" fitting I put an old Anshutz globe and base (I got for next to nothing) front sight on my Norinco JW 15; bought a Williams Diopter off of amazon for around 50 bucks, that clamped on my rear dove-tail, and at 20 yards from a bench rest, I can frequently put 10 shots into the same hole. With the buck-horn and blade it came with; 1 1/2" was the best I could hope for. My scoped rifle puts 10 shots in a much smaller hole. Free hand, I shoot as well with the peep as I do my rifle with the scope.

9. The Following User Liked This Post By MarkR

labradort (08-14-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12