Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    So apparently the RCMP have been told not to lay charges for 10/22 mags, but rather confiscate them because if charges are laid, there might be a trial, in which case a judge might set a precedent in that people are allowed to keep using them, and they don't want that.

Ruger 10/22 Drum mag legality?

This whole situation appears to remain a mess. Still no stores I’ve seen carrying any magazines produced by a third party in capacity above 10 rounds for the 10/22, SR22, charger or now the precision rimfire. Even ones strictly marketed for the 10/22 rifle only.

This situation is no different than the Beowulf mags or the LAR pistol mags legal to sell. Although the Beowulf magazines capable of holding more than 5 rounds of 5.56/.223 are now prohibited regardless if the magazine is labeled for Beowulf. We can still(for now) purchase 10 round “pistol” mags for our “pistol” AR-Handguns. Same goes for purchasing 10 round magazines for the Robinson arms XCR-M “Pistol”. These hold 10 rounds of 7.62/.308.

Problem here is that these “XCR-M Pistol” magazines also fit some fine new rifles like the Mossberg MVP LC and the Ruger Precision Bolt action rifles. If I’m not misinformed. The Ruger actually retails with 2 - 10 round P-Mags. How long before these “High capacity AR-10” magazines are also prohibited?

I personally own 4 of the Butler Creek 25s and the GSG-110 Drum. I’d have to double check the BCs but the drum I know is labeled “for use with 10/22 rifle only” or something along that line. Which in the case of the Beowulf mags, means absolutely nothing to the RCMP.

I’ve thought about getting myself one of these Charger pistols for cheap plinking at the range because I have the 10/22 rifle and have enjoyed years of its reliability and have used it to teach non-gun friends and their kids safe firearm practices in controlled situations. It rarely leaves my safe unless I’ve planned a range day with my nephews. Since last summer I’ve only carried the factory 10-Round Rotary magazine just to simply avoid any issues. The rest are boxed away in storage. Shame really but 10 shot mags are more than enough when teaching or working with younger inexperienced shooters.

In the end I will likely not get a charger pistol because I have these higher capacity legal magazines for my rifle. Try defending yourself when your caught at home, at the range or traveling between the two with these high capacity magazines and both the pistol and the rifle. All legally owned. Then have them believe you that you have never put the high capacity magazines in the pistol or never planned to. Simply not worth the hassle to be labeled as a public threat and have your PAL revoked and property seized. All without any criminal activity or intent.

Good to be Canadian where the registered citizen is as good as registering yourself as a criminal.
    Last edited by Whiteannerdy; 02-11-2018 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteannerdy View Post
    This whole situation appears to remain a mess. Still no stores I’ve seen carrying any magazines produced by a third party in capacity above 10 rounds for the 10/22, SR22, charger or now the precision rimfire. Even ones strictly marketed for the 10/22 rifle only.
    It doesn't matter who makes the magazine for the 10/22, they are all still limited to 10 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    It doesn't matter who makes the magazine for the 10/22, they are all still limited to 10 rounds.
    Totally true. All manufacturers of magazines even if not produced by the firearm manufacturer must follow the same rules of capacity.

I only meant that ruger produced the BX-25 Magazine and marketed it as the pistol magazine before trying to enter into our market and was labeled prohibited because of this. After this I was not aware of any other 10+ magazines made by ruger so could only comment on third party mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally true. All manufacturers of magazines even if not produced by the firearm manufacturer must follow the same rules of capacity.

I only meant that ruger produced the BX-25 Magazine and marketed it as the pistol magazine before trying to enter into our market and was labeled prohibited because of this. After this I was not aware of any other 10+ magazines made by ruger so could only comment on third party mags.

The only reason the BX-25 mags got into hot water is they were marked on the package for the rifle and the pistol. That started this whole thing. Then someone decided to change their interpretation of the BX-25 mag to include all 10/22 magazines.

This situation is no different than the Beowulf mags or the LAR pistol mags legal to sell. Although the Beowulf magazines capable of holding more than 5 rounds of 5.56/.223 are now prohibited regardless if the magazine is labeled for Beowulf. We can still(for now) purchase 10 round “pistol” mags for our “pistol” AR-Handguns. Same goes for purchasing 10 round magazines for the Robinson arms XCR-M “Pistol”. These hold 10 rounds of 7.62/.308.

Problem here is that these “XCR-M Pistol” magazines also fit some fine new rifles like the Mossberg MVP LC and the Ruger Precision Bolt action rifles. If I’m not misinformed. The Ruger actually retails with 2 - 10 round P-Mags. How long before these “High capacity AR-10” magazines are also prohibited?

I personally own 4 of the Butler Creek 25s and the GSG-110 Drum. I’d have to double check the BCs but the drum I know is labeled “for use with 10/22 rifle only” or something along that line. Which in the case of the Beowulf mags, means absolutely nothing to the RCMP.

I’ve thought about getting myself one of these Charger pistols for cheap plinking at the range because I have the 10/22 rifle and have enjoyed years of its reliability and have used it to teach non-gun friends and their kids safe firearm practices in controlled situations. It rarely leaves my safe unless I’ve planned a range day with my nephews. Since last summer I’ve only carried the factory 10-Round Rotary magazine just to simply avoid any issues. The rest are boxed away in storage. Shame really.

In the end I will likely not get a charger pistol because I have these higher capacity legal magazines for my rifle. Try defending yourself when your caught at home, at the range or traveling between the two with these high capacity magazines and both the pistol and the rifle. All legally owned. Then have them believe you that you have never put the high capacity magazines in the pistol or never planned to. Simply not worth the hassle to be labeled as a public threat and have your PAL revoked and property seized. All without any criminal activity or intent.

Good to be Canadian where the registered citizen is as good as registering yourself as a criminal.
    Why don't you get firearms insurance to protect yourself from frivolous charges.

These things have been sold for decades and many Canadians are not even aware what the RCMP are doing behind the scenes and go on oblivious to what changes are going on around them.

How can you hold masses of innocent people accountable for things they purchased legally when bureaucrats changed the rules without them even knowing?
    Cover your ass. A cop is less likely to even proceed with charges if he knows you have a lawyer that knows more than him about the subject and will make him look stupid in a courtroom

I have insurance through my annual club/range memberships. Even with the insurance I would prefer leaning on caution then trying to prove I was right.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345