Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Have a Ruger American in 22 mag. Nice little rifle. Clean the barrel, shoots to point of aim at 50 yds. Second shot flyer Clean the barrel, one hole group. Second shot flyer Clean the barrel, one hole group.

The badger was designed with cheapest as the main parameter and the rails show it. Very poorly done. They are however very accurate, so it's worth it to tinker with them. Not hitting the paper at 50 yards is pretty bad.
    Here's what I recommend.

1. If you have a cheap scope, change the scope first. Just because someone else had a good one doesn't mean they are always good. Even Leupold makes duds (yes I had one). Generally, I've had good luck too with chinese scopes.

2. Second though, is how those cheap plastic rails are mounted. They are held in place by tiny metric (M3?) screws that will let the rail slide around a little under recoil, affecting scope zero. So the second thing is to crazy glue (loctite 404 if you can get it) the plastic rail down and use scope rings with a wide gripping length to minimise distortion when you tighten them up on the plastic rail.

3. If you are more adventurous, you can replace the top plastic rail with an aluminum one, then center-punch, drill and counter-bore the new rail for the supplied tiny screws and glue the whole thing in place like in step 2. If you don't know what drill and counterbore mean, find someone (ideally a machinist) that does and hopefully has a drill press and vise to make this easier. You can use the old plastic rail as a template to get your spacing right on those holes.

4. Of course, I did it the hardest way. The new rail kit I bought came with larger socket head cap screws meant for the rail, so I tapped new holes with a bottoming tap (not a regular tap) so then the cap screws just had to be ground to length. The steel of the barrel drills easily though, it is like butter, so be careful you don't drill too deep and go into the rifling. You'll only have a few threads of engagement when you're done. Be careful. But, it's worth it. My .22 mag groups at about 1.5 inches or less at 50 yards now.

It's quite a nuisance that some companies specifically choose to make things poorly just to save a few dollars, but then create problems for their customers. As a result, I have a very poor opinion overall of anything Chiappa makes and generally avoid their products, mainly because of this experience. This was my first and last Chiappa anything.

Thanks Larry. #2 has been done. I will be in the wall tent for a week. So I will have a good chance to sight it in.
    CLAC, Member, Local 66
    CCFR, Member.

Quote Originally Posted by LRA View Post
    Have a Ruger American in 22 mag. Nice little rifle. Clean the barrel, shoots to point of aim at 50 yds. Second shot flyer Clean the barrel, one hole group. Second shot flyer Clean the barrel, one hole group.
    I had something like that going on with Winchester FMJ 22 WMR. Then loaded CCI Maxi-mag and the grouping was much more consistent. The Ruger is nice but the stiffness of the bolt lockdown is strange. I have the conclusion this is something they do to slightly childproof it, like the bolt release on the 10/22.

Well I can confirm that the Simmons, And Red Dot are not the problem. I tried sighting the Chiapaa in at ten yards. It was all over the paper. Tried the peep sight. Same thing. Will see what Dave from Hi Cal can do for me. I will never buy another one of these rifles.
    CLAC, Member, Local 66
    CCFR, Member.

Sorry to hear ruger, I am very wary of chiappa quality
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies. - H.L. Mencken

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234