Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    We've burned word as our primary for 27 years, we now buy our wood, cost works out to about the same as the electric heat, but the heat is far better, stove is in basement, heats all the floors, we could cut costs a bit by getting it ourselves, but to have some cut, split and deliver 3-4 cords for 6-800 bucks, not worth me doing it, even though I have the saws, axes, mauls etc.

You know a long time ago I bought a cheap machete from a pawn shop and went to hit a log to see how far I could stick it in. I split it like it was butter and stuck it into the ground!

I could never get that edge right again after resharpening it (I was pretty young) but knowing what I know now I might have to pick up another machete and try again if I get a wood stove!
    Last edited by Hidyn; 11-02-2017 at 09:43 PM.

I finally picked up a wood burning stove for our house. I found a used one off of Facebook, it's not as big as I would like but I figure it's better then not having one at all. Our house has a chimney through the roof already so I will put the stove in the basement and buy all of the pipes to connect it but leave it unhooked as I don't want to pay the insurance premiums for it at the moment. At least if I have all of the parts then if we are faced with an extended outage it is an option. I've got a propane heater, BBQ, and various camp stoves plus lots of propane. A natural gas BBQ, and some naptha camp stoves and lanterns so I'm pretty covered for alternate cooking.
    Lifetime Member PAPRC, SHA
    Member NFA, NRA, SRAC, FMFG, SFC

4. The Following User Liked This Post By chrisc

blacksmithden (11-15-2017)

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
    I finally picked up a wood burning stove for our house. I found a used one off of Facebook, it's not as big as I would like but I figure it's better then not having one at all. Our house has a chimney through the roof already so I will put the stove in the basement and buy all of the pipes to connect it but leave it unhooked as I don't want to pay the insurance premiums for it at the moment. At least if I have all of the parts then if we are faced with an extended outage it is an option. I've got a propane heater, BBQ, and various camp stoves plus lots of propane. A natural gas BBQ, and some naptha camp stoves and lanterns so I'm pretty covered for alternate cooking.
    Good man. A bit of advice though. Even if you don't leave it hooked up, hook it up and test it. Sometimes stuff doesn't fit together...you need some stupid little piece...you're short 6" of pipe...whatever. When you're cold and stressed isn't the time to find these things out.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

6. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

Camo tung (11-15-2017), chrisc (11-15-2017), FallisCowboy (11-15-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Good man. A bit of advice though. Even if you don't leave it hooked up, hook it up and test it. Sometimes stuff doesn't fit together...you need some stupid little piece...you're short 6" of pipe...whatever. When you're cold and stressed isn't the time to find these things out.
    That's a very good idea

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
    That's a very good idea
    A perfect example....Selkirk double wall flue pipe from Home Hardware wont join up with Supervent pipe that Canadian Tire sells. Supervent pipe will however mate up with the wall thimble adapter made by Selkirk. There are many different manufacturers out there that have their own ways that pipe joins up.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    A perfect example....Selkirk double wall flue pipe from Home Hardware wont join up with Supervent pipe that Canadian Tire sells. Supervent pipe will however mate up with the wall thimble adapter made by Selkirk. There are many different manufacturers out there that have their own ways that pipe joins up.
    That would indeed be a hard lesson to learn when it's - 40 and the power isn't coming back on. I would have thought it would be more universal, the more I think about it that is a stupid thing to assume. Thanks for the heads up.

kerosine.jpg

My new kerosene heater. I live in a camper in the woods, it was close to -15 degrees Celsius last night and in that half of the camper it was 23 degrees. I'll be buying larger drums of kerosene to reduce cost as much as I can because buying it in small quantities makes it a fairly expensive heating source, but it works really well for me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234