Bushnell Legend HD - opinions?

At Canadian Tire I noticed a sight on clearance : Bushnell Legend 1.75-5x 32mm

This would be the low power scope I'd like for the 22 magnum. An alternative to the Vortex Diamondback 2-7x rimfire and some others with 2-7x like Nikon P-rimfire and the Leupold 2-7x rimfire.

The Bushnell Legend seems to get lots of likes from owners, comparing it to the Elite line for glass quality. I like that there is an option for parallax adjustment in the 3-9x Bushnell Legend. The prices are closer to the $200 range rather than around $300 and plus.

Everyone seems to have Bushnell Legends on sale. I like the low power and small size of the 1.75-5x with parallax at 75 yards, but at the same time the adjustable parallax for the 3-9x looks very good and can be found at the same price online as the Canadian Tire option for the 1.75-5x - a little under $200.

Is the Legend line going away for some reason? It looks like they were introduced in 2012, but many places have clearance pricing. I don't see any critical reviews on them, just the usual fluff ones.

Could be a seasonal sale from Bushnell. I have a legend HD on my muzzleloader, it's held up pretty well. Seems to hold zero season to season, even took a good bang that put a ding in the bell without issue. The only thing I notice is it's not quite as clear around the edges as the Elites (I own several, 3200 and 3500). Low light performance is a hair less as well, and the black reticle doesn't show up as nicely as the brassy coloured one in the Elite against dark brush. I think mine is the 3-9x40....

All in all fair performance for the price. The uncle has a couple as well, never an issue, just not quite as nice as the slightly pricier ones IMO...
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Now I'm starting to wonder if it is Legend vs Legend Ultra HD. It is hard to tell when the marketing folks drop information or get it wrong. Is there a Legend and then Legend Ultra HD is a different product? I suspect it is something from 2004ish and Ultra HD came along in 2012. I can't see information on non-HD or non-Ultra on the Bushnell web site.

One Amazon listing for a Bushnell 3-9x scope says it weighs 3.9 KG. Can't depend on these sites for good information.

Had another look at the Canadian Tire scope and it isn't the Ultra HD model. Going by the binoculars with the same names, I think the Ultra HD is a later model and better upgrade.

I've ordered a 3-9x 40mm Legend Ultra HD with the side focus so parallax isn't getting in the way. The way things get sharp to verify the side focus adjustment seems like nothing could go wrong. You don't need to learn the number for the range, unless it is out there so much distance that elevation is going to be off. Just under $200 before tax and shipping. Seems like good bang for the buck.

The HD on Bushnell optics stands for high density glass. Its a way of giving you clearer optics at a reasonable price. There is much better glass out there but there is a price tag attached to it.

I now have the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD, set up with the mounts I have until an order comes in. Now the bullets are grouping. It is a combination of being able to select the range and an improved ability to find the eyebox.

7. The Following User Liked This Post By labradort

Rory McCanuck (10-02-2017)

I think it's the Legend HD that I have on the 7mm, and I find it to be very nice and clear.
    Low light it's quite good, but I agree with Kenny, the gold/brassy crosshairs of the 3200s stick out betterin low light.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

I have a friend who has a Bushnell Legend 1.75-5x32mm on his Norinco M14 and I have found it to be a very nice size and with very clear lens on it for a scope that sell for the price they go for.

If I remember right he paid about $200 with taxes for it.

It has held up well so far on his rifle with about 1000 down the pipe on a rifle that is notorious for being very hard on scopes.