Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    That looks well done, neos.
    It's getting harder and harder to support the government in the style to which they have become accustomed. They need a lesson in manners and to be taught who serves who.

Thank you for the compliments. It was a hard decision to go this route, but the stock dictated my move to painting teh stock as parts were missing and teh amount of overall damage prior to me aquiring it. I am glad it was rough so I could have some fun with it, and I did. The texture I added makes it look neat, as well as gives good gripping.

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    Nice rifle and one that will last forever if cared for. I have the model 81 (tube magazine) that my dad gave me 45 years ago. It was his as a kid and I am proud to have it as a good memory. Just a point of safety. The bolt has a pin or bar that locks into a cut at the rear. You mentioned the rifle was roughed up. The cutout may be worn which may cause the rifle to misfire when chambering a round. ( I almost took a shot to the foot) A light touch with a round chainsaw file cured that issue.
    cookin' up a batch of fun (and pasta)

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

That area is in good shape. It locks up solid. Thank you though for the advice, as I will be careful when testing it out just to be safe. I believe I was told that the gunew was stired in a barn or outbuilding but the bolt stored seperately. And it shows. The whole body of this machine was rough, broken, and rusty, while the heart was well preserved. There was not even a hint of rust on the rear of the bolt knob, as the rest of the steel had rust all over, so I can buy that story.

Well, just a little update again. I had some firing pin issues earlier, so I carefully rounded the flat end so it strikes better, and that worked like a charm, making a better indent into the case. Also, I recently made a 'plug' for the magazine hole to take up the missing space, and further making it just a single shot rifle. Being as it was nice outside here today, we went out for a little bit to pop off some rounds. So, I brought my Marlin with me. I just paced out 10 yards and threw up an empty box. Well, to my surprise, after about 6-7 shots I walked out only to find out it was shooting level and slightly to the right about 3/4". It cycled very well, and went bang every time. I was very surprised at how quiet this rifle was waith Winchester M22 rounds. But I had some CCI Standard Velocity I wanted to try. Well, was this stuff ever quiet. I am really liking it. So, overall, I am very happy with my gun. It doesn't look the best, nor is it worth much, but it is very fun to shoot. I just thought I would share my little experience from this afternoon.

That’s awesome, thanks for sharing. I have an old rifle I have been thinking about restoring the stock on and I think you just pushed me over the line to get it started.

Thank you for the compliments on my resurrection of this old gem.

Quote Originally Posted by neos View Post
    Ok. Well, I apologize there Stew. I had looked at the website before a few times, but somehow I missed it. Thank you very much. One down! Out of stock currently, but I will be monitoring the site daily.
    Check CA tire also.

Hi neos,

Barn storage with livestock and ammonia in the air during winter can ruin a gun over time. The the good thing about the old fashioned lubed bullets was the outside of a 22 can rust but the bore is usually lubricated to protect against rust. If that bore is not rusted from barn storage then you will be able to shoot it well with the micro-groove rifling. You will be pleased with it. And congratulations on the transformation you did. Nice job of restoring a gun a previous owner had no respect for.

My Dad bought one of these back in the late 50s and it has been used as a farm gun ever since. Somewhere in the 80s I recall he decided to refinish the stock and remove the barrel bluing with some 0000 steel wool and cold blue. It was well used and carried so much the bluing around the mag well was worn completely off but not abused. No deep wood dents or metal damage and NO rust as he kept it oil wiped off after every use. He also upgraded from an old Tasco rimfire to a 1" 4x made in Japan. Today it looks great and still shoots very well with just cheap ammo. Over the years it has taken many groundhogs, coons and hundreds upon hundreds of starlings from the big old maples in the yard. I checked zero on it last year with el cheapo Win Wildcat copper plated hollow points and had a group of 5 shots touching at a bit over 25yds. Surprised myself.

In the past few years I have gone a bit crazy and picked up two more of these Marlin 80 rifles. This gun was produced for many years and there are several variations. You will find no serial number as it was made pre Gun Control Act 1968.

You may find a rear site at a gun show. If not why don't you just put a cheap 4x scope on it and then if it bangs up no big deal. You will be amazed at the accuracy with a scope.

As for mags, I found out that the newer manufactured mags by Marlin that are supposed to fit the model 80 do not work in any of the rifles I have. Would need work to be fitted to the catch which is a curved bar with a groove cut across it. I had no interest in trying to make them fit (only way I saw to do so was alter that bar on the rifle as there is no easy way to get at the catch on the mag) as I figured they might not feed properly after anyway. So over the years I have picked up a few spare ones to have. Dad always had one spare and I recall buying a second spare from Can Tire where I worked in the 70s for a mere $5. The originals go for considerably more than that now.

You have a good choice for a lug along knock about gun. Let us know how it shoots when you have a rear sight or scope on it.

Btw, the reason you find low noise is that full length 24" barrel on the rifle. And it feels like a big centrefire rifle doesn't it? Nice big chrome bolt handle too.

CD
    Guns are like potato chips....you can never have just one.

Never trust a politician who says, "trust me".

I will never get used to Big Brother looking over my shoulder!

I have seen the future.................and it SUCKS!!!!
    (born in the wrong time & place)

Theme songs:
    "I Wanna Go Back" by Eddie Money http://www.lyricsdownload.com/eddie-...ck-lyrics.html
    "Dream On" by Aerosmith http://www.lyricsfreak.com/a/aerosmi..._20004389.html

First, thank you for sharing your story, as well as your compliments on my rifle. I like those type of stories. Now on to the comments on hand. The barrel is in fact in very good condition. As well, the barrel is pre-microgroove barrel. By my dating this online, it was manufactured between 1934 and 1939 (Mod 80, open rear sight on barrel, bead front, plain pistolgrip stock, rounded forearm. 1934-39). There is also no grooved receiver, and it is indeed drilled for a rear peep sight. As for rear sight and elevator, I made one from a piece of tin in the garage then tempered and blued them as well. I would have already put a scope on it if it had a dovetail groove on it, but I am honestly glad it doesn't as I now have a rifle with iron sights. I have made a single shot adapter for it already, and am fine with it, so I am glad you posted your experiences with the newly manufactured magazines so I will stay away from them. If I do by some chance come across a used one cheap somewhere, I will probably pick it up and remove my single shot adapter. Yes, that was the one big thing I noticed after it was finished is that it feels big, which is different. The only problem I had with the homemade rear sight was after shooting and seeing it off a bit, I tried adjusting it and noticed I was able to shift the rear sight side to side by hand. I was about to remove it and peen a dimple underneath the rear dovetail mount, but after turning it 180 degrees, it was very tight. So I just have to wait for it to get nicer out and when on holidays shortly, go to the range and sight it back in!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast