Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    What's strangeday's batting average? I never heard from the guy in a while, but I always thought he was crying about the sky falling far too often.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    By Strangeday
    2017/10/08
    https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...2017-line-item

The proposed regulation will prevent the use of any magazine in a firearms for which its original use was not designed for. This means that using the pistol magazines in rifles and interchangeable magazines that load cartridges not designed for it would be a prohibited use. So if you can stick more than 10 9mm rounds in a Glock 22 magazine to use in your Glock 17 this will be prohibited. If you use a 10 round pistol magazine in your AR compatible rifle...this would be unlawful. One thing that seems consistent is that those trying to draft the regulation still do NOT understand the nuances or technicalities of what they are trying to accomplish with this.
    What could possibly be the public-safety benefit of that? "You're not allowed to have 10 round magazines for semi-auto rifles, because of murders. But we'll let you keep your ten round pistol magazines that happen to fit in rifles, just as long as you solemnly swear not to put them into a rifle, ever, anywhere, for any reason."

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Hardhead

killer kane (10-12-2017), Neil Burke (10-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
    What could possibly be the public-safety benefit of that? "You're not allowed to have 10 round magazines for semi-auto rifles, because of murders. But we'll let you keep your ten round pistol magazines that happen to fit in rifles, just as long as you solemnly swear not to put them into a rifle, ever, anywhere, for any reason."
    This is effectively what the pin in the magazines to make them 5/# or 10/# are, so nothing would surprise me.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies. - H.L. Mencken

5. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By lone-wolf

firemachine69 (10-13-2017), Neil Burke (10-11-2017)

If they just said 30 rounds max, no matter what the gun was, I could live with that. For now anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
    If they just said 30 rounds max, no matter what the gun was, I could live with that. For now anyways.
    I could live with 10 across the board, for now (key words "for now"). It really is a stupid law. I've got some very small 10 round (pinned to five) AR mags. If I were hell bent on murder I could easily carry a whole whack of them. They're much more "pocketable" than the 30 rounders.
    CSSA/CCFR/NRA

8. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By Doug_M

firemachine69 (10-13-2017), killer kane (10-12-2017), Scotlas (10-12-2017), speedloader (10-14-2017)

Canadian Forceswww.specterarms.ca Specter Arms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    What's strangeday's batting average? I never heard from the guy in a while, but I always thought he was crying about the sky falling far too often.
    It might be low but consider the possibility that his low average is because he gets people to act and thus prevents what he fears.
    Guns, optics and accessories along with sound professional advice at
    www.specterarms.ca
    http://specterarms.blogspot.ca/

10. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Specter Arms

firemachine69 (10-13-2017), Gunexpert007 (10-12-2017), Waterloomike (10-14-2017)

I'd love to see this backfire for anti-gun sorts. Instead of tightening restrictions on guns the powers that be take a good hard look at how the system, as it sits, is failing and strikes the magazine restriction policy. (Or at the very least makes it so the capacity is set to factory standard. So a pistol that normally holds 17 rounds could in fact have 17. An AR-15 could have it's normal 30 round magazine. If they want to leave true high capacity magazines banned, like the drum mags, I could live with that. I'd possibly call it a fair compromise.)

Sadly I do not think that would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
    Public safety benefit?

There is no public safety benefit contemplated or desired from our firearms law and regulation.
    Two vicious lies undergird that stinking pile of excrement that passes for firearms law and regulation in Canada.

Some guns are too dangerous for you to have, and you don't "need" guns because you have police to protect you.

13. The Following 6 Users Like This Post By CLW .45

Doug_M (10-12-2017), firemachine69 (10-13-2017), glockfan (10-14-2017), GTW (10-12-2017), speedloader (10-14-2017), Waterloomike (10-14-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.ec View Post
    I'd love to see this backfire for anti-gun sorts. Instead of tightening restrictions on guns the powers that be take a good hard look at how the system, as it sits, is failing and strikes the magazine restriction policy. (Or at the very least makes it so the capacity is set to factory standard. So a pistol that normally holds 17 rounds could in fact have 17. An AR-15 could have it's normal 30 round magazine. If they want to leave true high capacity magazines banned, like the drum mags, I could live with that. I'd possibly call it a fair compromise.)

Sadly I do not think that would happen.
    Failing?

No, it is working as planned.
    Two vicious lies undergird that stinking pile of excrement that passes for firearms law and regulation in Canada.

Some guns are too dangerous for you to have, and you don't "need" guns because you have police to protect you.

From the CGN rumor mill:

Quote Originally Posted by Bartok5 View Post
    In my travels yesterday the staff at two different LGSs in Edmonton told me that their "contacts" had advised of new legislation pending this year concerning magazine limits. Apparently part and parcel of implementing the Liberal Party Firearms Platform this year will be to craft legislation that closes all of the loopholes associated with the use of compatible magazines in firearms for which they were not specifically intended. In other words, no more "pistol" magazines will be permitted in long-guns and no .40 cal pistol mags may be used in a 9mm version of the same handgun in order to achieve a capacity exceeding 10 rounds.

I was also told that part and parcel of the new legislation will be a ban on the future importation of pinned, "standard capacity' magazines. So, no more 5/30 round mags with a simple Rivet. All long-gun mags will have to be manufactured to hold only 5 rounds, with no simple means of un--pinning. What this will mean for the size of mag bodies in rifles with deep magazine wells is not clear, so there is little point in "what iffing" things at this stage. I was strongly advised to stock up on pinned "standard-capacity" magazines before the end of the year and before prices spike following the tabling of legislation. I'm personally fine for mags, although I don't look forward to pinning all of my rifle-calibre "pistol magazines" to 5 rounds. Shades of the early 1990s and having to pin all of the mags for my soon to be prohibited long-guns. This, of course, assumes that the government/RCMP will actually allow us to rivet our 10-round "pistol magazines" to the legal 5-round limit, rather than insisting that they be destroyed outright....

Has anyone else been privy to similar discussions? I have no reason at all to doubt what I was told, and every reason to believe the sources, who after all, work in the industry. I'm not trying to fear-monger here, just passing on what I was told by two independent sources on the same day. A bit of crappy news to brighten an otherwise splendid Friday the 13th. You can take it or leave it - no skin off my nose either way.,

Edited to add: There was also much discussion (not started by me) that focused on the coming restriction or all NR centre-fire rifles and shotguns. The prevailing theory being that the RCMP are allowing as many NR rifles into Canada as possible in the hopes of capturing all of the currently-available designs when the reclassification occurs. Personally, I don't think we will see the reclassification of center-fire long-guns until a second Liberal majority government, but I've certainly been wrong before. It was interesting to hear this discussion, as every time I raise the spectre of reclassification on CGN I get pilloried as a "chicken little" when nothing could be further from the truth. Those who know me personally know that I don't hold back just because my firearms choices may prove to be unpopular with the government. My dozen or so prohib rifles/carbines and SMGS are proof enough of that....
    Pump actions speak louder than words

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast