M&P40 2.0 to 9mm Conversion?

Recently I've been looking at picking up a handgun. I've been looking at the Smith & Wesson M&P40 2.0 as my best option.

I am on a bit of a limited budget so the M&P is on the top end of what I can afford for now (I'd like to own a Glock someday, but it's out of my budget for now). And I'm really not interested in Norinco stuff. I had considered the Sig Sauer P250 with a barrel conversion kit to .40S&W too. (Though part of me is wondering if it'd be cheaper to just buy a second gun in that case...)

Now to complicate things a bit... the ability to change calibres is a bit of an important one to me. I want to be able to shoot the .40S&W so I can practice with it. But also have access to the ability to shoot 9mm (which is cheaper). I know there are barrels you can buy that can accommodate this. (And have to buy magazines for 9mm also.)

Which leads me to a few questions...

1- Is changing calibres this way safe?
    2- Does it have to be taken to a gunsmith to do or can I do this myself?
    3- Is it better to look at getting another gun instead? (Instead of going with the M&P40 2.0 look at the Sig instead? Or another gun not on my radar at all.)
    4- I've looked around at a few stores and right now the best price for an M&P40 2.0 is $570 (at FOC). Anyone know of any other shops that beat that?

Thanks in advance for your time and any input offered.

There's a couple of companies that offer ' drop in ' barrels for the MP and Glock. Normally they require zero fitting. Availability can be sketchy but if you're patient you'll find one. Most of the time you can just use your 40 mags and they'll work fine.

Lets say $ 550 for the MP + at least $ 200 for the spare barrel and you're into a different price bracket like the M&P Pro. If you're on a limited budget get a 9 not the 40. There's a ton of used first gen M&P's at great prices and the cash you save you can put to ammo. There's not a huge difference between the 2.0 and the 1.0 so you're not missing out on very much, other than paying more.

1) Think in terms of U.S. law suits. If it wasn't safe, there'd be all kinds of 'em and there are not.
    "...like to own a Glock..." Less money than a SIG depending on where you are. A G22 runs $780 in the Calgary Shooting Centre(just happen to have their site open). A SIG starts at $985.
    3) A conversion kit for the SIG runs almost as much as a whole pistol. Nearly $600. Consists of a slide, barrel and mag.
    Do not discount buying a used pistol when on a severe budget(the might be moot in NS though.). It's not like buying a used car. Takes a lot of abuse to damage a modern firearm.

Dante has a promo on atm. $ 470, new with 2 mags. pretty close to what a clean used one goes for.

After posting this topic, I ended up speaking with a qualified gunsmith to basically ask what I asked here. And he stated that the replacement barrel is safe. And that I only had to bring it in for a change if I went with the higher accuracy ones like by Apex (that require precision fitting). I'd never really thought about the US lawsuit angle truth be told. Though that does make quite a bit of sense. Our Southern Siblings are a touch more litigious than we are (or so it seems at least). So that pretty much cemented my mind and what to do.

I did see that yesterday night (after I'd returned from the range) they dropped the price on a few sites...
    I did look at the M&P9 (1.0) but I figured for the difference in price (about $80) I'd rather go with the 2.0 series. The trigger was one major thing that I was concerned about on the 1.0. And if I had to change the trigger on the 1.0 then I'd already be in for more money than just buying a 2.0 from get go. (New trigger being around $150.) But with the reduction in price yet again (down to $560) for the 2.0 I went ahead and bought an M&P40 2.0.

Yeah, Sigs and Glocks are a bit more expensive so definitely out of my price point for now. But I'll probably get one eventually. (I'll probably look at buying a shotgun next though...)

Full disclosure that I avoided doing a lot of looking at used online because I'd rather just deal with a reputable company than Michael McUnknown. (Maybe I could get a better deal, but at the same time there's also the fact that at least with new I have a much better idea of what I'm dealing with. I don't have to worry that someone abused their gun. Even though guns are tough there is still a limit.)
    I did also look in a few different local gunshops... but buying used in NS is not that easy. There aren't as many Firearms owners here to start with. And many of the firearms shops are spread out quite a ways. (There's only really 4-5 which are close enough for me to visit. By that I mean within an hour or so drive. Kinda don't need to spend more in fuel making trips back and forth checking stock than what the gun itself would cost...)

Have you looked at Tenda?

They generally have better prices especially ammo.

although if you not local... Shipping might be a killer. They're in Richmond Hill Ontario. Lucky for me it is a small detour on the way back from the range.
    Memeber of CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

http://www.bullseyelondon.com/surplus I have had 2 92,s (a 92s, listed here and a 92f) the s are Italian and in mho are far superior than the f witch are S&W.
    Don't be afraid of bullseyelondon I have delt with them before and they offer free shipping on $200.00+ online orders. And don't be afraid of beretta they have been in the industry for centuries and offer fine products.
    I have never owned a glock but, I have fired a few nothing wrong with them but, you cannot compare a da/sa trigger to a long plastic what ever you call it trigger on the plastic guns.

I forgot to add that if the disconector on the safety is a down side for you, a rollpin holds the safety in place. if you remove the safety a little pin on a spring will be in the bottom of the slide remove the pin and spring then reassemble the saftey. Now with the safety on the gun will remain on your choice of full cock, 1/2 cock or at rest and will not allow the gun to fire while in the safe position, although the trigger will release the hammer the gun will not fire. Why? Because the 92's fireing pin is in 2 pieces 1 of witch is in the safety and is rolled out of contact of both the forward part of the pin and the hammer
    Last edited by g0rd0; 10-14-2017 at 07:48 AM.

linung,
    I did look at Tenda and they had a better price for the gun itself (by $10). But the shipping itself would have drove the price up by another $15-25 so I wasn't really coming out ahead there. (Shipping costs can suck at times.) It's great for you though that you can stop by when you need to.

g0rd0,
    The Beretta 92S doesn't look bad at all. Though I've already bought the M&P40 (2.0) and I don't have enough money now to buy another.

I ended up buying through Bullseye London (partly because the free shipping and also because they accept Amex). I looked at Firearms Outlet Canada but I couldn't tell if they offered free shipping or not and their Customer Service page is nothing but "Lorem Ipsum" holder text. (A fact that kinda doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me...)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.ec View Post
    linung,
    I did look at Tenda and they had a better price for the gun itself (by $10). But the shipping itself would have drove the price up by another $15-25 so I wasn't really coming out ahead there. (Shipping costs can suck at times.) It's great for you though that you can stop by when you need to.

g0rd0,
    The Beretta 92S doesn't look bad at all. Though I've already bought the M&P40 (2.0) and I don't have enough money now to buy another.

I ended up buying through Bullseye London (partly because the free shipping and also because they accept Amex). I looked at Firearms Outlet Canada but I couldn't tell if they offered free shipping or not and their Customer Service page is nothing but "Lorem Ipsum" holder text. (A fact that kinda doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me...)
    Bulls Eye is good; they stand behind what they sell to and often have great prices on ammo too.