Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Over the last few years the organizers at SHOT have had many complaints from legitimate attendees about the number of people that are allowed into the show that really have no business being there, taking up valuable time and resources from the companies who spend HUGE money setting up booths in order to attract orders from re-sellers.
    Having been many times to SHOT can say that IF the organizers were to vette the attendees better the crowds, which are daunting, would be less and overall the show would be better.
    2 years ago there were literally hundreds of US forces personell wandering around at the show along with a ton of LE personnel. I have a hard time buying that a private 1st class would be doing much in the way of procurement or purchasing for the Defence Dept.
    The show is short and intense and it takes all you have to see it all, the more looky loos just makes it harder for those of us who are there for work.

Now that being said there is also a huge collectors show usually on the weekend of SHOT that IS open to the public and well worth the price of admission.

Drama and the CCFR seem to go hand in hand..lol
    Liberal party of Canada-Useless since 1867

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By murph83

Coke (11-13-2017), RobertMcC (11-13-2017)

They literally have an entire division of the NSSF staff on the payroll for the express purpose of vetting attendees and looking for people profiting off their show. This EXACT contest has been tried numerous times and it's always ended with (best case) the contest's closure, (middle case) bans from attending, and (worst case) lawsuits. Honestly, I think the difficulty of filing a lawsuit across the US/Canadian border is probably a very good thing for the CCFR, given they were using SHOT to raise funds.

To give some perspective from someone that's been going for a few years now: last year all media outlets were informed that the carte blanche invitations NSSF had previously handed out were going to be rolled back; even huge outlets like The Firearm Blog and Recoil were given limits on the number of passes they were going to be given. In some cases outlets that had 20+ staff attending in 2014/2015/2016 were told to bring a maximum of 5 or 6 people for 2017. And they really clamped down on the bloggers/podcasts/youtubers. The big names were still there, but back in like 2014 or 2015 you could seriously get media credentials with like... a blog written from your parents basement and read by maybe four people. It was getting pretty ridiculous. That's over now. Now, I have to send them a bunch of PDFs of back issues with my name on the masthead, and when I show up they cross-check those PDFs against hard copies.

The sea change in their attitude is the result of both an industry day a couple years back that was notoriously badly run and overrun by "media," and a MSM interview that went poorly a couple years back. They used to think "the more media the better," but after an industry day where half the attendees couldn't shoot because of the pure volume of people, and that interview making big headlines, the NSSF decided to seriously cut back. Also, the industry has demanded they do a better job, because the exhibitors pay between thousands and millions of dollars to attend and the number of lookie-loos was really reducing the value the exhibitors saw.

They also clamped down hard on other attendees and the conduct on the floor. Last year security stopped anyone at the door with a camera and no media badge, and a lot of people taking photos with their cameras were talked to by security. If the photos were for their own use (sending to buddies, keeping for posterity, etc) it was fine, but if they were found to be covering the show somehow, they got turfed. So covering the show without a media pass is pretty hard now, and with the amount of security that'll be there for 2018 given the amount of protests expected, I suspect NSSF is going to be extremely thorough in their vetting of attendees.

This year the media invites are actually by invitation only.
    Proudly publishing Calibre; The Canadian Firearm Publication, online at www.calibremag.ca!

Like us on Facebook or Instagram to follow along with what's new around the office, as well as to get a glimpse into what goes into producing a gun publication.
    Follow us on Twitter @calibremag to enjoy all the stuff that's deemed too unprofessional for Facebook!

5. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Calibre

firemachine69 (11-14-2017), Rory McCanuck (11-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Calibre View Post
    This year the media invites are actually by invitation only.
    You going?
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies. - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    You going?
    Proudly publishing Calibre; The Canadian Firearm Publication, online at www.calibremag.ca!

Like us on Facebook or Instagram to follow along with what's new around the office, as well as to get a glimpse into what goes into producing a gun publication.
    Follow us on Twitter @calibremag to enjoy all the stuff that's deemed too unprofessional for Facebook!

8. The Following 6 Users Like This Post By Calibre

Dewey Cox (11-13-2017), Eel (11-14-2017), firemachine69 (11-14-2017), Joshua13 (11-14-2017), lone-wolf (11-13-2017), Rory McCanuck (11-13-2017)

Makes me wonder. My boss and I were supposed to be going this year. If they are cutting back on attendees per store though it starts to wonder if I won't be accepted. I know he had to submit a lot of paperwork on my behalf and even provide payslips showing how long I've been employed by the company. Really suck as well if I can't take pictures to show my friends that I was there

Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    Makes me wonder. My boss and I were supposed to be going this year. If they are cutting back on attendees per store though it starts to wonder if I won't be accepted. I know he had to submit a lot of paperwork on my behalf and even provide payslips showing how long I've been employed by the company. Really suck as well if I can't take pictures to show my friends that I was there
    Those are exactly the kinds of photos they do allow. Their sort of standard test was "is this a photo of a person with a gun at SHOT Show, or is this a picture of a gun?"

If they thought you were taking gun pics without a media pass... adios.

Really, if you're there to procure future products to carry, why wouldn't you be taking pictures of products of interest?
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies. - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Calibre View Post
    Those are exactly the kinds of photos they do allow. Their sort of standard test was "is this a photo of a person with a gun at SHOT Show, or is this a picture of a gun?"

If they thought you were taking gun pics without a media pass... adios.
    That does suck though because I do like to take pictures of guns.

Hell I take a camera to swap meets and guns shows.

Ah well, we might not even get the three passes to the show.

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    Really, if you're there to procure future products to carry, why wouldn't you be taking pictures of products of interest?
    Because the conditions at SHOT Show don't allow you to take a photo that anyone would ever use to sell an item, and the buyers are generally furnished with photos by the manufacturers.

They crack down on the photos because a lot of designs are stolen at SHOT every year. It's hilarious; scammers come in, hold a device up to their chest, just in front of a shirt with a 1" grid square pattern on it, and get a photo taken. They'll literally take like five photos of a thing, pick up the next thing, and repeat. For this reason some companies don't even let you take pictures as media. KAC always gives me shit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12