Question Rangefinder - but for golf....?

Hello there GOC,

I am currently shopping around for a rangefinder. I have a bunch reward points from my credit card company.....

SO with that being said.....I see in their catalog a Nikon Coolshot 20 range finder. Basically it is for golf, but I would guess that it could be used for a hunting application.

It is just a basic one where it ranges up to about 600 yards or so. It is nothing fancy, but it would help me judge distance a little better.

No incline-decline type of thing either, just a straight up point and range at an object kind of thing.

I figured that with a bunch of reward points I have, I might as well get something free, right?

Have any other people here used a golf rangefinder when hunting?

Any input would be most helpful.

Cheers
    Snake88

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    You won't be very happy with it for hunting, especially if you expect it to work at the ranges it says it will for golf. Most game animals aren't nearly as shiny and reflective as all weather flag material.
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

That particular model should work well.

Might not have pinpoint accuracy or reflectivity on smaller objects, but it will close enough for 95% of people.

I'd suggest some camo duct tape to cover up the glaring white color.

In the thriving metropolis of Beiseker AB.
    I did the same thing with my airmiles. I found that it works fairly well up to 400 yards and to get 500-600 yards out of it, you have to hold it perfectly still.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    You had me at Bacon

NFA

for that cost why not get the real thing ?
    https://www.cabelas.ca/category/rangefinders/1487

I had one. Not sure about it's golf capabilities though. I ended up selling it. Just couldn't range anything after 400 yards. While my Bushnell 1000 ranges out to beyond 800m.

But, I sold that too. And now I have a Sig K2000. I am happy now.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
    I had one. Not sure about it's golf capabilities though. I ended up selling it. Just couldn't range anything after 400 yards. While my Bushnell 1000 ranges out to beyond 800m.

But, I sold that too. And now I have a Sig K2000. I am happy now.
    +1 for the Sig Kilo 2000. In bright sunlight, it won't quite do torso size steel plates at a mile, but I've never had it fail me at 1000 meters or less except in fog/mist. I really don't expect any range finder to work when there's enough moisture in the air that you can start to notice it at 50 ft.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

I am just throwing it out there. Wasn't sure if some else tried it or not. Maybe in a hunting application for a short range could be good.

I figure that my capabilities are about 300 yards or so, but if something is little bit beyond that then I don't think I would have the confidence to shoot and be accurate enough.

As for other options, I hear the Vortex Ranger 1000 is pretty good as well. Thoughts?

I appreciate the feedback so far.

Cheers
    Snake88

Quote Originally Posted by Snake88 View Post
    I am just throwing it out there. Wasn't sure if some else tried it or not. Maybe in a hunting application for a short range could be good.

I figure that my capabilities are about 300 yards or so, but if something is little bit beyond that then I don't think I would have the confidence to shoot and be accurate enough.

As for other options, I hear the Vortex Ranger 1000 is pretty good as well. Thoughts?

I appreciate the feedback so far.

Cheers
    Snake88
    The Vortex Ranger is decent. I've gotten as much as 800 yards but 500-600 is more typical of a max range for me. It seems a bit slower than other brands I've tried, but it's also cheaper.

I am on my second one. It just died one day, but with Vortex lifetime warranty, I sent it in and they sent me a new one. Hard to beat that warranty for electronics.