Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    We have two types of hunters that come through the shop wanting to buy guns and I try to help them each.

First are the Natives who want a new .22LR or .22WMR to hunt deer. We get someone like this about once a week now. I politely steer them usually towards a centerfire such as .223 or .243. Many of them have been shooting deer with a rimfire for many years and can do it. But many cannot or try to take shots they can't make with that caliber.

Then there are those on the other end of the scale. The ones that come in looking for a .300WM just so they can go deer hunting. I too try to politely steer them to something in a more decent caliber if they only plan on hunting deer. I wish I have kept track of how many people have purchased a 7mm Rem Mag or 300 Win Mag from us and then within months, will bring it back to get us to install a muzzlebrake on the gun because "the recoil is killer". Or those that bring in the gun in because it just won't group on the target. When we test it, the gun groups fine, and they don't like to hear that they are probably just flinching.

As for caliber and damage to an animal, sometimes you just can't tell what will kill. Couple years back on the largest bear I ever shot. Took it with a .308. Round went through bhind the front leg and out on the opposite side. Large entry hole and even larger exit hole (Last time I ever used Federal Blue Box ammo). Bear took off running and went a considerable distance before dying. When we opened him up, we found both lungs were pulp. I was amazed at how far that bear could run.

Then compare that to last years bear. Lined up with my 6.5 Creedmoor. Shot and the bear went up and over backwards. When I gutted him, I found the round didn't even mushroom at all, it went straight in and out like a laser beam through both lungs. Small little holes.

Shot placement does mean a lot in dropping an animal. Caliber means a little as well. And some of it depends on the particular animal as well.
    How long have you been working in that retail store now, a year? I seem to recall your claims of being an apprentice gunsmith.... I find it interesting that you're also working the floor. You sure have learned to watch the market in that short time. I wonder how the store owner and his customers would feel about your racial profiling?

I don't expect you to answer.... but feel free to call me a troll for calling you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce-deuce View Post
    How long have you been working in that retail store now, a year? I seem to recall your claims of being an apprentice gunsmith.... I find it interesting that you're also working the floor. You sure have learned to watch the market in that short time. I wonder how the store owner and his customers would feel about your racial profiling?

I don't expect you to answer.... but feel free to call me a troll for calling you out.
    To answer your questions, I've been there two years now. Yes I am apprenticing as a gunsmith, I will have my certificate later this year and have another two years of apprenticing after that. Yes I also work the sale floor. We are not a large enough company to have three full time gunsmiths.

As for racial profiling, it's not. The only people who have come into the store asking about Rimfire rifles to hunt deer, are Native. I never said all Natives hunt deer with rimfires.

Now please stop trying to troll. Thank you.
    Last edited by Drache; 02-12-2018 at 07:43 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Drache

ruger#1 (02-22-2018), Swampdonkey (02-12-2018)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ruger#1 View Post
    I haven't shot a bear in twenty years. And I have never gut shot one?
    That wasnít in reference to you. I was speaking to another poster here who seems to think heís the proverbial great white hunter. A few years back said poster had a thread up on another forum about him and some friends road hunting and gut shooting a bear... sorry if Iíve cause confusion.

Threads like this are a great reminder to be very cautious with the information posted on these boards...

Rifle came today. When I get a chance. I will post pictures. Safety is different from my 550FS. The 527. All the way forward is on. The 550FS. All the way back is on. Forward is fire.

Attached Images Attached Images

7. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By ruger#1

Drache (02-22-2018), Eel (03-20-2018), kennymo (02-22-2018), Rory McCanuck (02-22-2018), Swampdonkey (02-22-2018)

Attached Images Attached Images

9. The Following User Liked This Post By ruger#1

Eel (03-20-2018)

Looks like it is going to be a while before I shoot this thing. Working six and seven graveyards in a row. Good thing it pays over $50 an hour. Sad thing is. I have to much work here and at work. Then the farm. The ice storm took out a lot of fence, And I can not get to the cabin. Even to tired to take the loader up and clean the road. Maybe things will slacken off next month.

Kyle MacLean took this caribou with his .223.
    Great shooting, Kyle.

12. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By ruger#1

Drache (03-14-2018), Swampdonkey (03-14-2018)

Looks like I will be running one of these this weekend. Shooting will have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by ruger#1 View Post
    Looks like I will be running one of these this weekend. Shooting will have to wait.
    Looks like your poor new CZ is gonna be lonely. Send it my way and I will show it some love. I promise to send it back. haha
    How do I change my signature to something about Bacon?

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast