Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scope for 50 cal.

Opinions on a Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 pm2 please.

expensive

Crisp and repeatable. A guy at the gun club has one on his 416 Barrett. I find it interesting that anyone can get behind the gun and start making 800 yard hits on the first shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    expensive
    Hehehehe.

Quote Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
    Crisp and repeatable. A guy at the gun club has one on his 416 Barrett. I find it interesting that anyone can get behind the gun and start making 800 yard hits on the first shot.
    Thanks.

I looked at one for my new BMG. I decided to go with an ATACR 7-35x56 F-1 instead. More for the increased magnification really. The S&B is a fabulous piece of kit. I will one day own one.

I stepped it up a bit for the BMG. I have seen the videos of scope failures from the whip of the BMG recoil and concussion. So I decided to up the game a bit. If you choose the S&B, you can`t go wrong. I tried out a rifle that had that very scope on it. Incredible!

The Schmidt is a great scope but does not have nearly enough elevation built into it. According to their site a total of 65 MOA.
    In that same magnification the NF ATAC-R has 120 MOA of elevation and owning both I do not see any major difference in clarity, color hue is slightly different.
    I own both so pretty simple to do an A/B comparison
    With the distances 1 can shoot a 50 to effectively, having a ton of elevation is paramount in my opinion.
    A fine reticle is also important as distances are increased.

Andy, not sure FFP is the answer for extreme long range, the reticle in FFP scopes increases in size to the eye with increased magnification and will obscure smaller targets at longer distance.

I had a S&B PMII 3-20x50 on my 50bmg never had any issues with elevation or the ffp reticle. Mind you I was just using it to shoot steel plates and never shot past 1200m as I recall. I also use the identical scope on my trg42 338lm without any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by wally338 View Post
    I had a S&B PMII 3-20x50 on my 50bmg never had any issues with elevation or the ffp reticle. Mind you I was just using it to shoot steel plates and never shot past 1200m as I recall. I also use the identical scope on my trg42 338lm without any issues.
    If the plates are big enough I suppose FFP would work. Good luck seeing a 2.5" diameter gong at 1200 yards, the reticle will more than completely cover it.

Any open center reticle will not cover up even the smallest target. I most definitely was not shooting at 2.5 inch targets at 1200m lol. I don't know anyone that would use such a small steel plate at that distance.

Quote Originally Posted by 50 B.M.G. View Post
    If the plates are big enough I suppose FFP would work. Good luck seeing a 2.5" diameter gong at 1200 yards, the reticle will more than completely cover it.
    I see what you're saying Rick. But I have no issues with seeing a 12" gong at a mile with that reticle. I'll just have to see what it's like. I can't think of another scope with that much magnification (for these old eyes) with that good of glass. So it will have to do. Besides, targets at 2500+ yards aren't that small.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast