Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    www.aztecharmory.ca
    Quote Originally Posted by Booletsnotreactwell View Post
    I always thought there was some kind of legal issue with having LAR-10 mags with full 10rd bodies. Something like how the originals got approved in only 10rd bodies, and 10/30 mags are considered a "modified" 30rd mag and not a 10rd "pistol" LAR mag. I know it sounds stupid but I've seen the idea repeated enough that I always thought 10/30rds wasn't legal. There were a few companies in the past that did it and they were getting called out for it, it probably didn't help that they were pretty sketchy overall.

Thoughts?
    Thanks for the insight... from what I was told, if the mags are "made for" the LAR-15 then they are allowable. These mags come from the ASC factory and have not been modified in any way. That said, we definitely do not want to be in contravention of any rules, not matter how senseless they may seem. Have you seen anything in writing that supports your thoughts?
    It's Not Always a Matter of Need...

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
    Thanks for the insight... from what I was told, if the mags are "made for" the LAR-15 then they are allowable. These mags come from the ASC factory and have not been modified in any way. That said, we definitely do not want to be in contravention of any rules, not matter how senseless they may seem. Have you seen anything in writing that supports your thoughts?
    I'm sure you are familiar with this Marshall, but here it is anyway:

LAR Pistol Mags Ruling 2008-06-18.pdf

It would appear to me, as a layman, that these ASC magazines meet the pistol requirements.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Always against the grain Booletsnotreactwell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
    Have you seen anything in writing that supports your thoughts?
    No I don't, and that's sort of part of the issue. I don't mean to discourage you and your business endeavors but it's one of those things that's a real grey area. Nobody really knows what a "LAR-15" mag is, is it any .223/556 mag stamped "for use in pistols", is there a special modification (because if I take a set of calipers to a legit LAR-15 mag and any other GI mag it's the same), is it because they left the factory with those markings on them and that in itself means it was designed for a pistol, nobody really knows for sure.

The only real for sure thing is that the originals that were approved and the only ones that have any formal documentation issued by the RCMP are the ASC and C-Products manufactured "LAR-15" mags that come in a standard GI style 10rd body, the ones the Questar business originally had a hand in importing/getting approved. Everybody else has basically been piggy backing off that since.

The idea of 10/30's has come up a lot in the community over many years, every time I've seen it the idea gets shot down with a bunch of internet know it alls claiming it wouldn't be allowed because then it would just be considered a "modified" magazine and not a purpose built "pistol magazine". I know, makes no sense but neither do our laws.

This was also before the RCMP came about with their "dual use" ruling, the dual use thing is actually a new "standard" so to speak they have completely invented and are now using. You can't find it anywhere in the official Firearms Act yet they've used the term in a few official publications. One that comes to mind was when a company called Northern Republic Magazine was trying to import E-Lander made 5/30 .50 cal Beowulf magazines. Apparently they were denied because the magazines were "dual use" in that they were simply adapted from an original 30rd .223/556 magazine and not built from the ground up as a .50 Beowulf magazine. I mean if you think about it, even LAR-15 mags in .223 are adopted in design from normal 30rd mags, so that's hypocritical to their previous rulings in a way. I also remember them saying that the magazines in current configuration could take multiple calibers thus they were dual use, this was about a year or so after the cat was out of the hat on the .50 cal mags and word got to the RCMP that guys were buying them to legally stuff 15 .223 rds in. That is also contrary to one of their previous publications they recently took down claiming that whatever caliber anybody stuffs into any magazine that's different from what that magazine was intended to take is irrelevant to it's legal capacity restriction.

I feel like if 10/30's were allowed somebody would have done it by now, I know that doesn't help but that's also been one of my indications as to why there was somehow an issue with them.

Historically 10/30's have never really been commonly available, a handful of businesses like really sketchy looking businesses with text only websites have offered them. Never really heard back and chances are the guys that bought them, if they weren't scammed never showed them in public.

www.aztecharmory.ca
    I still can't find any reference in the Firearms Act, the Criminal Code or any of the Special Bulletins that indicates that these mags need to be in 10 round bodies only. Again, they are not modified. They are factory mags made for the LAR-15. Also, they are not "dual caliber". They are designed to hold 10 rounds of 5.56x45 ammo only.
    The reference to "GI style 10rd body" is questionable as well. To my knowledge the US Government has never issued a 10 round M16 magazine so if we are using the GI standard they would need to either 20 or 30 round bodies.

www.aztecharmory.ca
    Also, Special Bulletin #72 is still the standard for use of a magazine in a firearm other that what it was designed for. This is, as mentioned, contradictory to the new "dual use" term which our friend Mr. Smith has come up with which requires the .50 Beowulf mags to be blocked to 5rds of 5.56. Even though there is no actual law, CBSA will not allow them to be imported unless they are blocked to 5.56. This includes the Poly80 Beowulf mags which are in fact designed to feed only .50 BW ammo.

To say that it is all ridiculous would be a major understatement, but it is the world we live in... for now... simple solution... Vote!!

6. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Marshall

lone-wolf (12-10-2017), Mark-II (12-07-2017), Scotsman (12-07-2017)

hey can you bring in the new HEXMAG 10/30 Round Pistol Carbine Magazine please :-) they other dealer is allready sold out.

Got to try them a few weeks ago and they run awesome . Id grab 12 off the bat

I dont see any specific HEX pistol mags on there.

Quote Originally Posted by DILLIGAF View Post
    I dont see any specific HEX pistol mags on there.
    You are correct, my apologies I posted too quick.

Take care.

www.aztecharmory.ca
    Quote Originally Posted by DILLIGAF View Post
    hey can you bring in the new HEXMAG 10/30 Round Pistol Carbine Magazine please :-) they other dealer is allready sold out.

Got to try them a few weeks ago and they run awesome . Id grab 12 off the bat

These may have been an exclusive to another Canadian importer. I don't see them listed with any of our US suppliers and Hexmag doesn't have them on their site. I'll look into more and see what we can do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast