Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks Darrell. I guess I might have made a mistake in buying the bushing neck sizer from CH4D. I assumed it was a F.L. bushing die like my Whiddens. I'm not a fan of just neck sizing either, that's why I'm looking for a F.L. die. I'll probably settle for the RCBS unit.

Well, I "settled" for the CH4D full-length sizing die. So now I have all three pieces. On another note, I tried out my RCBS priming tool this weekend. Boy, one should really read the instructions. I'm a dope! I managed to ruin two primers before I realized that I had the flat end on the seating stem. (The BMG primer is cupped.) Two ruined primers later, I realized my mistake.... D'oh!!!! Well, at least I got a chance to test out the new de-capping die.

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By 6MT

Eel (03-16-2018), Rory McCanuck (03-12-2018)

Ya, it certainly can be a learning curve, can't it? Might think oneself a reloading pro, but 50 will teach some new things....
    If it's the same RCBS tool as I have, I broke it so never really learned how it worked. Likely my fault, not the tool....never did figure that....
    Anyway, all I've ever used since has been that priming die I'm sure I've told you about....

And (as you perhaps know) keep both ends for the tool....some primers need the flat one to "arm" them when pushed in.....

5. The Following User Liked This Post By Dmay

6MT (03-12-2018)

Thanks Darrell. I was really disappointed with it after the two failures. So I thought I'd let it go until the next day and think on it. Since I had a couple of successes on this day already: I got my press back together, I tested the new threaded bushing with my de-capping die, and de-capped my two primer failures. Quit while I'm ahead.

But when I went back to my gun room from the garage, I just happened to see on the front of the RCBS priming tool box, that there were 2 different seating pins. Talk about a light bulb moment!

I rushed back to the garage and changed out the pin to the cupped from the flat. Then proceeded to prime 30 cases for my initial range visit with the BMG in less than 5 minutes. (Just like a hot knife through butter!)

Wuff! Am I stupid or what? I told this story to my wife and she just laughed at me. She mocked me. "Yes my husband, you are stupid for not reading the instructions." (in a sarcastic voice)

Ok, at least I can admit it. Keep calm and carry on....

7. The Following User Liked This Post By 6MT

Rory McCanuck (03-13-2018)

But guys never read instructions.............unless all else fails. If you read first, your dick will fall off.

Haha....yup, waste of paper usually...

What primers you using Andy?

CCI no. 35's.

Quote Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
    CCI no. 35's.
    White box? Or white and blue?

Oops...hit send accidently.
    If blue....be sure to carefully inspect ....some had defects.....cracks....which have caused fire-cutting on boldface. I have a list of batch numbers to avoid....or you can find a list of them at FCSA forum.

And white box....I forget, but don't they use flat.seater to arm? I can't check mine now....but will be home in a couple days....

White box. And they are cupped. Believe me, the flat seating pin just don't work. But....my new de-capping die works thanks to that!

I saw the thread on the blue and white box ones. They are pretty old lot numbers. I'm not sure there are any around any more. If I were to buy privately, I would have checked. But I bought these from P&D.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast