Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    So after a week's delay, I finally got out this afternoon to do some testing with the Big-Mac BMG loads. I tried 231, 232, 233, 234, and 235 grains of H50BMG powder. The bullets are 750gr A-Max and my seating depth was .010" jump from the lands.

Sorry for the poor quality of this image. It was taken with an iPad.

I was doing a barrel break-in (5 cycles) and scope zeroing with the first shots. I was on paper in three shots at 200m. I decided to do 3 shot groups because of the costs involved with loading the BMG round. I found that 232gr and 234gr were the two best candidates. The 232gr group was .566moa and the 234gr group was .266moa. I also managed to get another shooter's Lab Radar unit to measure the speed of the best load. The 234gr load averaged 2770fps (+24c, 22% R.H., 683m ASL, etc., etc...)

There were no pressure signs on any load. Even the 235gr load. Darrell, there's lots of room still left in the case for 5 or 6 more grains of powder. But, I don't think I'll go any higher, just an FYI. Here's a shot of the spent cases from left to right (231gr to 235gr):

Absolutely beautiful!

Here's some of the 234gr load case:

I couldn't be happier. Those look incredible!! The rifle was hitting point of aim at 200m. I made some Kentucky windage adjustments for steel clanging out too 300m and with my last shot, out to 500m!! I did not enter any data into the AB ballistics, so that's the reason I held over instead of looking at the software.

I'd like to say I'm ready for next weekend Darrell, but not just yet. I will wing it and bring 30 rounds out and see about the extreme distance. I zeroed the scope and have entered the numbers into AB on the Kestrel and my iPad. And I will be bringing both. And here's something very interesting. I plugged the data into iSnipe. At +24c, your height asl, and 22% R.H.; that bullet will stay supersonic out to just beyond 2600 yards. Wuff!

To say it went well would be an understatement. The rifle kicks like a bad tempered mule. I was also only bench shooting. I'll have to see how comfortable I can get shooting prone. Also, I may have to look at another type of cheek riser. The Bradley works well, but I might look into something different. Also, the Versa-Pod might not be my final choice for the fore end. I'll have to talk with you about that.

But...you've got to try this thing!! The potential is pretty encouraging. And man...is it ever fun! Some of the crowd over at the 3 gun competition wandered over to see what all the noise was about. I even let two guys try it out. You should have seen their smiles after clanging steel at 300m with a BMG. But I really could only handle 28 rounds. I used my trap shoulder pad to help out. I'll have to see just how bad the bruise is later tonight.

Andy
    Last edited by 6MT; 05-12-2018 at 10:01 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By 6MT

kennymo (05-12-2018), Lee Enfield (05-13-2018), Rory McCanuck (05-13-2018)

And it's now Sunday. The brass has been de-capped, wet tumbled, dried, sized, and primed. I just need to charge and seat and I'm ready for my next outing. But I saved one fired case from these first 30 as a fire formed example for reference purposes (head space, etc.).

Hehe, 231gr as a starting load

I couldn't be happier.
    Lucking into a 1/4 moa load first time out, with no development, yeah I guess you're happy!

Obviously things are right with that rifle, that brass looks unfired.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

5. The Following User Liked This Post By Rory McCanuck

6MT (05-13-2018)

Thanks Rory. Yeah, pretty easy considering all of the delays and problems I've encountered up until this time. So it feels like I'm just along for the ride. The development seems pretty easy up to this point. We'll see when the distance increases 8 fold.....

7. The Following User Liked This Post By 6MT

Rory McCanuck (05-13-2018)

Glad to see things went well!!!

....on an entirely related note....this week can't end fast enough..... pew, pew, pew!!

10. The Following User Liked This Post By 6MT

Rory McCanuck (05-16-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
    ....on an entirely related note....this week can't end fast enough..... pew, pew, pew!!

Well, let's see how he stretches out. My concern is that the wind might be really stupid all weekend. Going long range with gusts of 30 mph in this hilly terrain can be disheartening. But hey, let's hope for the best and do what we can! Think there's a couple mouse rifles coming too....but all ranges will be available.

Define mouse rifles?
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Define mouse rifles?
    .338LM

Quote Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
    .338LM
    Large mice!! LOL
    Andy are you shooting at CHAS this weekend? I thought I might come out of my hole on Sunday and see if some of my own guns still work. I know there is a PRS match on Saturday, but the calendar looks open for Sunday.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast