Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Quote Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
    Thanks Darrel. Those charge weights were recommended by Rick. And yes, it's H50BMG powder.

I may look into the same priming die that you use. I'll have to see how my modification to the piece of crap RCBS unit goes. I ended up removing the broken bolt and then drilling the hole larger. I increased the size of that pivot bolt to a much larger size. What concerns me is that a piece of the frame broke off when the bolt snapped. RCBS is off my Christmas list now for using poured pot metal for that base. It's a decent enough design, but very poorly executed with bad materials. My guess is that they tried to save money.

The reamer for my rifle is different than yours. Mine is a CIP spec chamber and I believe yours is a SAAMI spec chamber. It's because I'm using Lapua brass which is CIP size, not SAAMI. I don't foresee any issues with those charge weights. There is probably room for an additional 5 grains or more of powder before there is any compression in that case.

I must say that everything is certainly larger with the BMG. That powder has large kernels. I had to remove the bushing in my chargemaster...it was pouring way too slow. The press is wonderful too. That thing generates so much force that the bullet seating was extremely easy. After I got the seating die set-up, my seating error was exactly the same as every other calibre I load for, a scant .0005".

Anyways, I'm looking forward to testing tomorrow. And we'll see just how well the barrel mounted Magnetospeed chrony survives ;-)
    Andy
    SAVE the pieces!! I am working on a far more structural body that will employ the handle and parts of the priming system. You are not alone in the housings failing, but the concept is good just need to have a more robust housing, which I think I have an answer to.

2. The Following User Liked This Post By 50 B.M.G.

6MT (05-18-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by 50 B.M.G. View Post
    Andy
    SAVE the pieces!! I am working on a far more structural body that will employ the handle and parts of the priming system. You are not alone in the housings failing, but the concept is good just need to have a more robust housing, which I think I have an answer to.
    Ok Rick, will do. I still have the piece that broke off. But I did remove the broken bolt and drilled the hole larger to accomadate a much larger pivot bolt. I hope me enlarging the hole doesn't ruin this for you...?

I beleive RCBS was trying to save money when they used poured pot metal for that base. Nasty...just nasty.

Btw Rick, I stretched the Big-Mac out to 800m today. Wonderful potential! I'll let you know how it goes this weekend.

Andy

The fruits of a day's labor shooting the "50 Big Man Gun". A recovered bullet from a miss and the shrapnel from a hit (both at 2600 yards).
    Last edited by 6MT; 05-20-2018 at 09:06 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By 6MT

50 B.M.G. (05-23-2018), Rory McCanuck (05-21-2018)

Wow, well done!!!
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

Yeah, doping the 10-20mph winds was fun too. I was on target on my 5th shot. There were 3 near misses. And one of those misses took out a ratchet strap holding the target upright. The BMG still has lots of energy even at a mile and a half. With my rifle and charge weight, it's still supersonic at that distance. 'Ya gotta love physics!!
    Last edited by 6MT; 05-23-2018 at 04:38 PM.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By 6MT

Rory McCanuck (05-23-2018)

BTW, my hold for being on target in that wind was 10moa right. (10 X 26 = 260 inch hold)

10. The Following User Liked This Post By 6MT

Rory McCanuck (05-25-2018)

Lol, and here I thought the 4' holdover for the 444 @ 350 was a lot
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

12. The Following User Liked This Post By Rory McCanuck

6MT (05-25-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    Lol, and here I thought the 4' holdover for the 444 @ 350 was a lot
    Yep, a little more than 4 feet ;-)

14. The Following User Liked This Post By 6MT

Rory McCanuck (05-25-2018)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567