Long Eye Relief Scope

I watched a video on Youtube from a Canadian Company that makes a no drill no tap scope mount for Swedish Mausers. The scope mount they make mounts a picatinny rail to the rifle in the existing fastening holes of the rear ladder sight after the rear ladder sight is removed. The rifle would then require a long eye relief scope.

I am not that up to speed on rifle scopes so my question would be how much eye relief in inches would be required to see out of a scope mounted that far forward on a rifle?

Are long eye relief scopes any good? What are the pro's and con's compared to a regular scope?

What are some decent makes and models of long eye relief scopes?

I am just thinking about this as my eyes are getting older and it is starting to get more and more difficult to use iron sights as time marches on.

You'll find them labelled as 'scout' scopes usually, after Cooper's scout rifle concoction. Most of the major players offer or have offered them, and inexpensive Chinese models can be had on Amazon and E-bay. I haven't noticed as many around lately, a few years ago everyone and their dog was mounting them on Mosin Nagants and SKS's via a similar setup. A red dot also works well on these. I found I didn't like having the optic so far forward, though it is easier to see than the irons.

Note that handgun scopes are also 'long eye relief', but tend not to have the ideal eye relief for an ahead of the action rifle mount.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Here's a starting point, the 7.9" eye relief sounds about right. $199 is probably around as low as you'll see in a scout style from a name brand manufacturer.

https://www.theammosource.com/store/...r8aqhnguo58rq7
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

cons with scout scope is that the field of view is less.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

I like their Mosin bolt better than the ATI one I have

edit: assuming he means these guys

https://www.badacetactical.com/colle...sy-diy-upgrade
    Last edited by Stew; 02-02-2018 at 08:27 PM.

No adjustable turrets though

Quote Originally Posted by shortandlong View Post
    No adjustable turrets though
    Mean target turrets? Scout scopes are meant for quick up and shots. Plus you wouldn't want bulky target turrets hanging off the front of your rifle.

Vortex makes a nice scout scope.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

Thanks everyone for the links to the scopes. I like the Vortex Scout Scope best so far because of the Vortex warranty.

Yes the company that I was looking at with the no drill no tap scope mount for the Swedish Mauser is Bad Ace Tactical out of Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Any more info at all is welcome to this thread.