Semi-wadcutter in .45 ACP

I was gifted 2000 - 185gn .45 semi-wadcutter cast lead bullets.
    Instead of ordering more I was just going to use these.
    Has anyone else tried using them in their 1911's?
    Hodgdon's has a load for JSWC but I am wondering about the lead feeding properly.
    Last edited by greywolf67nt; 02-10-2018 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Atrocious spelling
    He who hits first wins, regardless of the speed of the opponentís miss.

2. The Following User Liked This Post By greywolf67nt

Swampdonkey (02-13-2018)

I shoot 200gr LSWCs out of my 1911s all the time. The only trouble I've ever had were feeding issues with a bunch of rather squat and funny looking 195 grainers of unknown manufacture. DRG and Excel bullets feed without issue.
    Magua took the hatchet to colour with blood...It is still bright.

Once you find the perfect oal and they cycle through your gun, all is golden. 185gr is going to cost more for powder than heavier bullets. But gifted is a great price.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Once you find the perfect oal and they cycle through your gun, all is golden. 185gr is going to cost more for powder than heavier bullets. But gifted is a great price.
    I think with what the lead cost me I can afford the half penny a round more in powder.
    He who hits first wins, regardless of the speed of the opponentís miss.

a little trick for swc's in selfloaders don't crimp when you seat the bullets use the lee factory crimp die and all should feed no problem. I used this in my model 92 9mm with 162 grn swcgc and had no problems cycleing them.

Your pistol needs to be set up for light bullets. Different return spring. After that it's about the OAL. Lotta the shooting game players use 185's with no fuss though.
    They already lubed?

You may not have to change the spring. I too am playing with 185 grain, and started with the lightest load in the manual. I am shooting a Nork 1911, and have no feeding problems, but I am going for accuracy. I am actually going to start reducing the loads somewhat to see if there is a difference.

I do not have to chase brass as far either! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by g0rd0 View Post
    a little trick for swc's in selfloaders don't crimp when you seat the bullets use the lee factory crimp die and all should feed no problem. I used this in my model 92 9mm with 162 grn swcgc and had no problems cycleing them.
    Yeah my Lee dies, I got the seater die on the min needed, and do all my crimping with the crimp die. Crimp die is the shit.

With SWC you just need to get the case lip just below as it flares out.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

Just picked up a bunch of Copper Plated 200 grn SWC 45's. Should be fun. Have had 200 grn SWC and they were great. Just trying to reduce my lead intake..Steve O

I got some winchester semi wad cutters. They work fine. big muzzle flash and it uses small pistol primer.

I got them second hand from some guy I meet at the range. They wouldn't chamber properly on his pistol but they work fine on my Glock.
    Memeber of CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!