Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: 25 45 sharps

  1. #1
    Member hallsy88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Shilo MB
    Posts
    38

    Question 25 45 sharps

    Hi there goc, i have been looking at this caliber and wondering if any retailers are looking to bring it to canada. There have been mixed reveiws on it but i think personally with the slr coming out this spring it would make a nice <150-200 deer rifle in a semi auto non restricted package. What are your thoughts?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    426
    Having looked at the cartridge, honestly, a necked up 223 with a tiny bullet with a low balistic coefficent moving at 3000 fps MV, might be an OK deer rifle at 100 yards max. Same would go for the .223 with a good bullet.

    Upgrade to .243, 25-06, 6.5 x 55, or 6.5 Creedmoore; more bang for your buck, and you will not need to by bastard reloading equipment. An sks would be a way better 100-150 yard deer rifle.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator Rory McCanuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Middle of Manitoba
    Posts
    9,124
    It duplicates 250/3000 Savage performance, which isn't special nowaday, but in 1915 was quite spectacular.
    It is still a very good deer round.
    No, it isn't a 25/06 or 257 Weatherby, but still more than enough to knock over Bambi at 200 yards.
    I think it would be an interesting round to play with; an AR180 in 25-45 could be a really fun hunting package.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

  4. #4
    Member hallsy88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Shilo MB
    Posts
    38
    the thing is none of those calibers will work in a ar15 action. Also because it uses 223 case you wouldn't need any special mags or other parts to make it work. Dont get me wrong .243 and so on are great and bolt guns are the go to standard but this is more for the cool factor for me personally. Plus i already reload for a bunch of calibers as it is so one more would not be a big deal

  5. #5
    Part-Timer Grizz Axxemann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Leaned over, carving corners
    Posts
    469
    .25-45 Sharps might just be the kicker for the current crop of NR Black guns with the .223 bolt head, especially if said bolts can't be opened up reliably for something along the lines of 6.5 Grendel or 6.8SPC.

    Someone had also mentioned 6.5TC as a potentially viable option, since it's based off the .223 cartridge.
    Yes, you can fix stupid, but the stupid folks have passed laws against it. - FallisCowboy

  6. #6
    Member hallsy88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Shilo MB
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz Axxemann View Post
    .25-45 Sharps might just be the kicker for the current crop of NR Black guns with the .223 bolt head, especially if said bolts can't be opened up reliably for something along the lines of 6.5 Grendel or 6.8SPC.

    Someone had also mentioned 6.5TC as a potentially viable option, since it's based off the .223 cartridge.
    I cant figure out how there are 25cal and 6.8mm commercial cartridges but no 6.5. I would think 6.5 would have the greatest bullet selection between them all. and then there is 6mm also.....

  7. #7
    Part-Timer Grizz Axxemann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Leaned over, carving corners
    Posts
    469
    Grendel has a SAAMI spec. Hornady makes ammo for it. Just not very common or popular here because ARs are typically range toys, and everyone wants to feed them cheap cheap with .223 or go redonkulous and go Beowulf. Then there are the mousefart fans who try to get their .300BLK as quiet as possible without a can.
    Yes, you can fix stupid, but the stupid folks have passed laws against it. - FallisCowboy

  8. #8
    Moderator kennymo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB
    Posts
    10,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz Axxemann View Post
    Grendel has a SAAMI spec. Hornady makes ammo for it. Just not very common or popular here because ARs are typically range toys, and everyone wants to feed them cheap cheap with .223 or go redonkulous and go Beowulf. Then there are the mousefart fans who try to get their .300BLK as quiet as possible without a can.
    I've seen the Grendel appear in the Howa mini action recently. Maybe we'll see a little more brass and ammo, though I can't see it making huge gains with most of the guns that can chamber it being range only restricted here. Low cost 5.56 wins out for that.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    SWOntario
    Posts
    1,674
    Sharps makes a 20" barrel. Problem is the AR-15 is restricted by name in Canada and the U.S. government restricts exports for all AR parts.
    And it's proprietary ammo and brass only. Doesn't appear there are any whole rifles either. Sharps does uppers though. No mention of exporting on their site.
    The ballistic coefficient is about how a bullet moves through the air. That doesn't make much difference in the real world.

  10. #10
    Member hallsy88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Shilo MB
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    Sharps makes a 20" barrel. Problem is the AR-15 is restricted by name in Canada and the U.S. government restricts exports for all AR parts.
    And it's proprietary ammo and brass only. Doesn't appear there are any whole rifles either. Sharps does uppers though. No mention of exporting on their site.
    The ballistic coefficient is about how a bullet moves through the air. That doesn't make much difference in the real world.
    I was more curious if they sold barrels by themselves for something like a macabee slr build that would be non restricted. As for 6.5 Grendel it requires propitiatory magazines to feed reliably from what i understand and also it uses a different bolt. Feel free to correct me if im wrong on that. There is apparently a wildcat called the 6.5 pcc or somthing like that which uses necked up 223 brass

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •