Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Preserving cell phone battery life when out in the cold.

Simple idea for preserving cell phone batteries out in the great cold suck, don't know why I never thought of using heat packs in a pouch, but I expect I can whup up something without paying the $40 (US) for one of these fancy kits.

MiVT: Therma-Phone

STOWE, Vt. (WCAX) We've probably all experienced a dead cellphone battery at the worst time. It happens more often when we're out in the cold weather. Now, a Stowe woman's Made in Vermont pouch is keeping cellphone battery levels high and frustration levels low.

Head to the front counter at In Company in Stowe and you'll notice an accessory that you wouldn't normally see in a women's boutique.

"I think the packaging draws them right to it and it's a conversation starter," said the store's Devon Williams.

The product is called Therma-Phone. It's a pouch for your cellphone specifically designed to prolong the life of the phone's battery in freezing temperatures.

"The whole message of when I thought of this was safety," said Sherri Hermanowski, the former Stowe ski patroller who came up with the idea.

When people were brought in off the mountain, they'd come into the first aid station and go to call a friend or family member.

"They'd go to pull their phones out and their phone wasn't working," Hermanowski said.

That's because the cold got to it first. Two years ago, Hermanowski consulted with her friend Yvette Randolph and that's how Therma-Phone was born.

"She would make the prototypes, we'd pick a fabric, she'd make it and then we would test them," Hermanowski said.

Therma-Phone's test data shows that a normal cellphone dies after just 40 minutes when the temperature is at minus-1. That same phone at the same temperature lasts four hours in a Therma-Phone case.

The Therma-Phone survivial kits, which are $40, come with two heat packs which increase the battery life even further-- up to 7-8 hours.

"You don't have to be without your phone, especially in a dangerous situation, or when it comes to finding your children at the end of the day," Hermanowski said.

You can find Therm-Phone in stores near ski resorts throughout Vermont, from Stowe Mountain to Mad River Glenn and Sugarbush. There's also a website.

"This has been an exciting journey for me and I'm very proud of it, and that it has gotten to this point, and hopefully we'll continue to grow," Hermanowski said.

A fashionable outfit for your phone, providing a longer battery life which could potentially save a life.

http://www.wcax.com/content/news/MiV...473825753.html
    "I may not understand what you say, but I'll defend to your death my right to deny it." --Walt Kelly

Anybody ever heard about an inside pocket before?
    Yes, you can fix stupid, but the stupid folks have passed laws against it.

3. The Following 8 Users Like This Post By FallisCowboy

Camo tung (02-14-2018), Dewey Cox (02-13-2018), Drache (02-13-2018), Eddmac (02-14-2018), Forbes/Hutton (02-13-2018), kennymo (02-13-2018), Rory McCanuck (02-13-2018), Smc (02-13-2018)

I've left my phone in the vehicle many times over night when temperatures dropped to -10 or colder. Never found my batter dead though in the morning. Lower than normal yes, but not dead within 40 minutes sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by FallisCowboy View Post
    Anybody ever heard about an inside pocket before?
    Downhill ski wear does not tend to have them. Or much of any kind of pocket at all for that matter.
    "I may not understand what you say, but I'll defend to your death my right to deny it." --Walt Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    Downhill ski wear does not tend to have them. Or much of any kind of pocket at all for that matter.
    Where are you supposed to put your flask then?
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

7. The Following User Liked This Post By Dewey Cox

FallisCowboy (02-13-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
    I don't know, I guess you preload. And then you're almost certain to need your phone, to call for a leg splint.

9. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Ruff

Dewey Cox (02-13-2018), FallisCowboy (02-13-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
    CamelBak®

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Stew

Swingerguy (02-13-2018)

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    I'm a bit overweight, almost 50, completely out of shape, 2 unhappy shoulders, with 2 iffy knees for a chaser. Downhill ski wear and I aren't likely to meet up many more times. LOL. Most of my shirts do have pocket though.

Anyway...this wasn't a discussion about clothes. I like the heat pack idea. The ones I've been using would have to be monitored though. They do get quite hot in my gloves. With blood circulation to carry away heat, they're still plenty warm. My initial concern would be possibly overheating the phone if they were right up against it, and somewhat confined. It might be fine if placed in an outside pocket, and the big winter suck was constantly pulling heat away.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    I'm a bit overweight, almost 50, completely out of shape, 2 unhappy shoulders, with 2 iffy knees for a chaser. Downhill ski wear and I aren't likely to meet up many more times. LOL. Most of my shirts do have pocket though.

Anyway...this wasn't a discussion about clothes. I like the heat pack idea. The ones I've been using would have to be monitored though. They do get quite hot in my gloves. With blood circulation to carry away heat, they're still plenty warm. My initial concern would be possibly overheating the phone if they were right up against it, and somewhat confined. It might be fine if placed in an outside pocket, and the big winter suck was constantly pulling heat away.
    If the pouch is reasonably airtight, that controls the heat output too. Works all too well in my goretex mountain mitts.

I was doing some sightseeing the other day and my phone kept shutting down because of the cold, after only a few minutes of exposure to the cold, and it wasn't even that cold, maybe -1 or so.
    Successfully escaped this crazy quack s***hole country ALIVE - 12/26/2017!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast