Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Just curious, would they not have needed a warrant to even open the trunk?

Quote Originally Posted by infidel29 View Post
    I wouldn't have responded when asked about a gun in the vehicle, just "you don't need to know that." Not a yes or no because you don't want to get caught lying to a cop. Just hand over your ID, and ask if they're detaining you. Be polite but firm. They wouldn't let them even look at the plate which is crap. Maybe under the pretense of "not wanting the kid to go for a gun in the trunk", but whatever.
    Charge the cop with illegal seizure or theft under $5000, or whatever can stick. Lawyer up. Shut up.

Edit: and cops wonder why nobody trusts, likes or respects them anymore...
    If true, the incident in the OP is a cop violating a basic right ensured under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

The cops claimed to stop them because of a motor vehicle violation (the licence plate). Any questions relating to any other subject should be met with the following response: "I'm sorry officer, I don't understand how that relates to the reason you have stated for pulling me over?"

Telling them they, "Don't need to know that" is just gonna result in an argument. Asking the cop to justify their actions is the better way to go. Then quoting the Charter on Unreasonable Search & Seizure would be the next step if the cop continued. I keep a printed copy of the Charter in my vehicle should an officer need to refresh himself on what the Charter actually says.

In the end you can't stop the cop doing what he is gonna do but you can let him know you understand your charter rights and that in your opinion, questions completely unrelated to the reason given for the stop amount to a violation of your basic rights enshrined in the Charter.

Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    If true, the incident in the OP is a cop violating a basic right ensured under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

The cops claimed to stop them because of a motor vehicle violation (the licence plate). Any questions relating to any other subject should be met with the following response: "I'm sorry officer, I don't understand how that relates to the reason you have stated for pulling me over?"

Telling them they, "Don't need to know that" is just gonna result in an argument. Asking the cop to justify their actions is the better way to go. Then quoting the Charter on Unreasonable Search & Seizure would be the next step if the cop continued. I keep a printed copy of the Charter in my vehicle should an officer need to refresh himself on what the Charter actually says.

In the end you can't stop the cop doing what he is gonna do but you can let him know you understand your charter rights and that in your opinion, questions completely unrelated to the reason given for the stop amount to a violation of your basic rights enshrined in the Charter.
    Most cops are taught to use the old line "Do you mind if I check your (purse,case,vehicle)..." The second you say "No",you've just given him/her permission to search. Then,a warrant isn't required and anything found during the course of the search may be used as evidence. During any traffic stop when an object is not in plain sight,no police constable can arbitrarily search anything for any reason. "Fishing expeditions" are illegal and any "evidence" found is not admissible and any charges arising from it must be dismissed. When interacting with Police during a traffic stop,have your D/L,ownership and insurance readily available,hand it to him/her and remember that SILENCE is your best friend. Try to limit conversations to one word answers and don't be a dick.

4. The Following User Liked This Post By spider69

Suputin (03-15-2018)

Last time I turned down a "voluntary search" after an officer pulled me over and asked if I had any guns, I got a ticket for an illegal U-turn; but had actually just pulled out of a gas station and barked the tires of my Firebird. They will get you one way or another.

6. The Following User Liked This Post By shootemup604

Swampdonkey (04-06-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by shootemup604 View Post
    Last time I turned down a "voluntary search" after an officer pulled me over and asked if I had any guns, I got a ticket for an illegal U-turn; but had actually just pulled out of a gas station and barked the tires of my Firebird. They will get you one way or another.
    Then go to court and fight it. If you didn't do the alleged offence then fight the thing.

There is also a principle where the police are not allowed to ticket you in retaliation for you not cooperating etc. It is called a "retaliatory" act and is not allowed. Tell the judge the cop pulled you over for A and then when you refused to allow him to violate your Charter rights, he ticketed you for B in retaliation.

8. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Suputin

FallisCowboy (04-06-2018), spider69 (04-06-2018)

Yep, he didn't show for court so it was dismissed. This was shortly after I got my PAL. Co-incidentally also shortly after having the ARRR-CMP attend my house because a new citiot resident in our very rural neighborhood found it necessary to report shots fired when I was out shooting 'coons one night. I spent 10 minutes laying on my driveway while they woke up the rest of the family at 11pm to "make sure they were ok". Friggen' city people.

Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    Then go to court and fight it. If you didn't do the alleged offence then fight the thing.

There is also a principle where the police are not allowed to ticket you in retaliation for you not cooperating etc. It is called a "retaliatory" act and is not allowed. Tell the judge the cop pulled you over for A and then when you refused to allow him to violate your Charter rights, he ticketed you for B in retaliation.
    Plead guilty to nothing and defend everything....no matter what it is. Offer no information or explanation to anything not related to traffic stop. The less said,the better.

11. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By spider69

Suputin (04-06-2018), Swampdonkey (04-06-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by KC13 View Post
    Typical Quebec Gestapo tactics. Try driving there with Ontario plates.......
    When do gun owners have to start wearing the yellow stars?
    They need to hire a lot more judges and build more jails because it's a safe bet that compliance with both c71 and the Quebec LGR is going to be low.
    Nobody trust the governments or cops any more.
    They'll probably release rapists, murderers, bank robbers to make room for gun owners.
    NFA member
    NRA Life Member

13. The Following User Liked This Post By Gunrunner

FallisCowboy (04-06-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by magnumsmith View Post
    I am thinking along the lines of calling 911 and reporting a theft of a firearm. The police took it without authorization. This all costs time and money I know but sometimes the police being wrong has to be challenged. You would probably be harassed by them forever. I say this sitting hundreds of miles away.
    It's easy to talk big.
    In the real situation of a police stop many if not most would roll over and take it and then have to change their shorts & socks when they got home.
    Remember High River.
    NFA member
    NRA Life Member

15. The Following User Liked This Post By Gunrunner

FallisCowboy (04-06-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunrunner View Post
    Remember High River.
    Remembered well and never forgotten or forgiven!
    Yes, you can fix stupid, but the stupid folks have passed laws against it.

17. The Following User Liked This Post By FallisCowboy

Gunrunner (04-06-2018)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234