Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rising UK, US flu death toll revives killer pandemic fears

OK, I know these flu pandemic stories have been popping up regularly for the last 20 years or so, but there's a reason for that. And not to put too fine a point on it, but this flu did kill an elderly member of my family earlier this year.

Rising UK, US flu death toll revives killer pandemic fears

The Sun, News Corp Australia Network

March 7, 2018 7:07pm

A KILLER flu pandemic could be poised to sweep the globe “tomorrow,” killing as many as 33 million people in its first 200 days.
    A catastrophic shift in the flu virus could wipe out 300 million people, a leading flu expert has warned.

The warning comes as vicious outbreaks sweep across the United States and Britain during the northern hemisphere’s winter.

One of these unusually deadly strains first emerged in Australia last year, and has since been dubbed “Aussie Flu”. Officially designated H3N2, this variant has proven resistant to the latest flu vaccine and has become the most common circulating.

It’s also proven particularly deadly to the elderly.

‘Aussie Flu’, along with another strain, ‘Japanese Flu’, are being blamed in a more than 40 per cent surge in flu-related deaths in the US and UK.
    Dr Jonathan Quick, chair of the Global Health Council, said the rapidly shapeshifting flu virus is “the most diabolic, hardest-to-control, and fastest-spreading potential viral killer known to humankind.”

Describing what sounds like scenes from a horror film, Quick warned in The Daily Mail of starvation, medicine supplies running low, energy systems crippling under the pressure and the collapse of the global economy.

And what could cause such devastation, on a global scale?

“The most likely culprit will be a new and unprecedentedly deadly mutation of the influenza virus,” he said. “The conditions are right, it could happen tomorrow.”

Flu vaccinations attempt to ‘predict’ the next season’s outbreaks. But the viruses they don’t anticipate can step into the gaps left by those they block.

Flu pandemics happen once in a generation, professor Robert Dingwall, another flu expert, told The Sun Online.

He explained that for a pandemic to happen, there needs to be a “dramatic shift” in the flu virus — something we can expect to see roughly every 20 to 40 years.

The last pandemic hit in 2009-10 when swine flu emerged in Mexico, while the deadly Spanish flu pandemic of 1918 claimed up to 100 million lives — infecting a third of the world’s population.

“A pandemic is when we see a shift, a really radical change that means the population has no real resistance to it.

“It seems that’s what happened in 1918 with Spanish flu and 1956 with Asian flu.”
    But while swine flu was classed a pandemic, it wasn’t the “big bang” it could have been.
    “It did infect a lot of people,” he told The Sun Online. “But it wasn’t very virulent.”

Quick warned potentially the most dangerous strain of flu is bird flu.

Also known as avian flu, three strains have caused concern in recent years — H5N1, H7N9 and H5N6.

Of those H5N1 poses the greatest threat of mutating and sparking the next killer pandemic, according to Quick.

He said: “If a new and highly contagious strain of H5N1 were to evolve and hitchhike with an unwitting passenger on to an aeroplane, the pandemic situation would quickly assume disaster movie proportions.”

The strain first infected humans in 1997, during an outbreak in Hong Kong.

The bug infected 18 people, killing six after the virus jumped from chickens to humans.

Over the course of 13 years, from 2003 to 2016, the strain has killed 846 people across 16 countries.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/li...edium=Facebook
    "All organizations that are not actually right-wing will over time become left-wing." --John O'Sullivan (1989)

CSSA, NRA, and OFAH (yeah, I know)

If you know this happens on a regular basis, then why do you continue to pump the fear? Its bad enough that all of MSM and the drug dealing doctors push this crap, but, do you really need a discussion on a gun forum about it? Keep the people in fear and they are easily controlled.....

Quote Originally Posted by Malus View Post
    If you know this happens on a regular basis, then why do you continue to pump the fear? Its bad enough that all of MSM and the drug dealing doctors push this crap, but, do you really need a discussion on a gun forum about it? Keep the people in fear and they are easily controlled.....
    Keep the people informed and they can be more careful to remain uninfected, and also take an illness seriously if they get it.
    "All organizations that are not actually right-wing will over time become left-wing." --John O'Sullivan (1989)

4. The Following User Liked This Post By Ruff

Myotis (03-19-2018)

Sorry for your loss, Ruff

6. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By LB303

Billythreefeathers (03-15-2018), Ruff (03-11-2018)

more than 40 per cent surge in flu-related deaths
    When they print a percentage the number must be insignificant. ( an increase from 100 to 140 in population of 500 million is 'more than 40 per cent')

When they print a number the percentage is insignificant.

Example: 1,000 tons of carbon dioxide.

Weight of the atmosphere on Earth is 14.7 pounds per square inch. One acre is 6,272,640 square inches.
    The mass of atmosphere above One Acre is 92,207,808 pounds, about 46,000 TONS.

8. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Zinilin

Billythreefeathers (03-15-2018), Joshua13 (03-13-2018)

The strain first infected humans in 1997, during an outbreak in Hong Kong.

The bug infected 18 people, killing six after the virus jumped from chickens to humans.

Over the course of 13 years, from 2003 to 2016, the strain has killed 846 people across 16 countries.
    Cha....ching! Keep fanning those fears, scared sheep are much easier to fleece of $$$. Question how many $$$ do we spend on the best guess each year for flu shots? IMHO this scam is right up there with climate change.
    Yes, you can fix stupid, but the stupid folks have passed laws against it. Old, Caucasian, and male; so I am automatically a "racist". I can live with that, if you can't that's not my problem, cupcake.

10. The Following User Liked This Post By FallisCowboy

50 B.M.G. (03-13-2018)

Our whole family had a nasty week long flu this year. Wonder if it was the latest? There will always be flu viruses going around, just deal with it. The vaccines are always catch-up after the fact.

I never get sick, except this winter. I would just get over something and get it or something else again. It's been brutal. Currently all my kids have had fevers for about 3 days and I'm starting feel it. I can't imagine how people deal with this all the time. We don't get flu shots and 2/3 kids aren't vaccinated and so far we have never had issues untill this winter

Sent from my E6560T using Tapatalk

Notice how all these "Flu's" seem to stem from the Asian Countries?
    Considering they seem to have the highest germ phobia's, it seems really strange, is it because there is more of these things being created there?
    MetisWolf

Part Wolf, Part Metis - All Gun Owner and Canadian

Quote Originally Posted by MetisWolf View Post
    Notice how all these "Flu's" seem to stem from the Asian Countries?
    Considering they seem to have the highest germ phobia's, it seems really strange, is it because there is more of these things being created there?
    It's supposed to be because they have so many people living in close contacts with pigs, chickens, ducks, and geese, maybe even carp. The flu viruses are always mutating and one can change so radically in another animal that when it happens to be able to cross over to humans, it might be like something our immune systems have never seen before and it might also be able to kill us in large numbers. Or so they say. But you have to give them credit, the Chinese have stopped what would have been the last several pandemic viruses right where they started, quarantining the areas and killing millions of poultry, usually- this most recent one mutated in Australia just over this past summer, their winter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast