Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    A proper target 22 rifle like the Anschutz 64 is perfectly capable of 200+ yds. I have made many hits in the 150-200 yd range with my target .22 using a 3-9x scope.

For the OP, if you are planning to use this rifle in the field, a scope reticle with hold-off points like a MIL dot reticle is preferred. 22 rimfire is a great round but it is affected by both wind and drop at anything over shorter distances. I've found my MIL dot spores allow me to make very rapid hold-off corrections on longer shots and often smack gophers on the second shot. Drives my non-MIL dot equipped buddies nuts as they try to make sighting corrections on a standard reticle.
    That's what I'm looking for alright., and another reason to get a .22-specific scope. The Nikon and Burris scopes are particularly good for hold off reticle points.
    "All organizations that are not actually right-wing will over time become left-wing." --John O'Sullivan (1989)

CSSA, NRA, and OFAH (yeah, I know)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    Never seen or heard of a Zeiss rimfire scope, nor a Leupold, but worth looking into.
    Why do you specifically need a rimfire scope?

I have a normal centrefire scope on my 10/22.
    I have no signature block.

3. The Following User Liked This Post By Petamocto

Swampdonkey (03-11-2018)

Biggest consideration for me is Parallax. I prefer adjustable (side adjust) focus for this. A typical 100yd centre fire hunting scope will be problematic at 25yds( unless your position is perfect) . A rimfire scope often has 50 yd parallax, and can be limiting if you swap the scope around. Bottom line depends on what you want to do, and how much you want to spend.
    "If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." - George Orwell

Trudeau Out Now!!!

5. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By 3MTA3

Czy_Horse (03-12-2018), Ruff (03-11-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
    Biggest consideration for me is Parallax. I prefer adjustable (side adjust) focus for this. A typical 100yd centre fire hunting scope will be problematic at 25yds( unless your position is perfect) . A rimfire scope often has 50 yd parallax, and can be limiting if you swap the scope around. Bottom line depends on what you want to do, and how much you want to spend.
    All depends on what use the rifle will be put to. For paper target shooting, an adjustable objective is important. For field shooting, I have not found an AO scope to be necessary. A gopher doesn't really care which eye the bullet hits.

The only time a non-AO centre fire scope is a problem is on very close shots, which are fairly rare.

By far the biggest consideration is the reticle. A MIL dot or similar reticle is absolutely invaluable for field shooting. It really is the only way to go.

I have a few Nikon scopes including the rimfire and have not had a problem. Real happy with the clarity

Target shooting, I highly recommend a scope with an Adjustable Objective, has High Magnification with a fine uncluttered Reticle. The better the glass, the less eye fatigue you will suffer with on those long summer afternoons at the range.

It's not an Anchutz but I have a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12*40 AO BDC on my Savage. Bright clear glass, fine reticle - doesn't cover target @ 50 yds and at 12X the Adjustable Objective makes it's very easy to focus in on 22 holes @ 50 yds. This scope started out on my 300 Win Mag (now has a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9*40 VBrite), moved to my 25-06 Rem (now has a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12*50 AO BDC) then moved to my Savage MK II FV. For about $20 more, you can get the Vortex Crossfire II 4-12*50 AO BDC.

Savage MK II FV c/w Vortex Crossfire II 4-12*40 AO BDC & Boyd's Stock

9. The Following User Liked This Post By Czy_Horse

Ruff (03-12-2018)

The scope we have on our 22 target rifles is the Tasco World Class 3-9x40 MIL Dot. It is still available and is ridiculously well priced.

To be sure this is a fairly basic scope but it has worked well for years of field shooting. Many thousands of gophers have gone to the big pasture in the sky from this scope. It has proved to be robust and accurate. I've made numerous 200 yd hits on gophers with it.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Suputin

Ruff (03-12-2018)

I have Vortex Optics Strike Eagle 1 6x Scope AR-BDC Reticle (MOA) SE-1624-1.
    This is a high end scope and it is very durable with 2 layers of glass on the reticle.
    Last edited by James1979; 04-04-2018 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by James1979 View Post
    I have Vortex Optics Strike Eagle 1 6x Scope AR-BDC Reticle (MOA) SE-1624-1.
    This is a high end scope and it is very durable with 2 layers of glass on the reticle.

I was looking at high end Vortex scopes only yesterday, including one that does everything but load the gun and pull the trigger, and it was a mere $1400 or so. But I do have to question the wisdom of putting a $1400 scope on a $1500 .22 LR. Beautiful reticle system though, shrinks in visibility at close range so it won't obscure the chipmunk you're hunting for dinner, expands at high power so you can use it better across the whole field of view. And they tell me the parallax is adjustable. But back in the land of affordability, Nikon Prostaff scopes are on sale locally.
    "All organizations that are not actually right-wing will over time become left-wing." --John O'Sullivan (1989)

CSSA, NRA, and OFAH (yeah, I know)

14. The Following User Liked This Post By Ruff

Stew (03-18-2018)

I have a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 on my Savage and it is a great piece of glass- 1/8MOA clicks, very happy with that scope.
    "If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." - George Orwell

Trudeau Out Now!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast