Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Decided to build an AR

So this is pretty much what I want to build. My own take on a Mk12 SPR

18" barrel
    PRS stock
    14" RIS

Not sure what pistol grip I'll go with. Wondering if I should go regular or on of those that have the rest on the bottom

2. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By Drache

Andy.h (03-12-2018), Billythreefeathers (03-13-2018), Doug_M (03-12-2018), Swampdonkey (03-13-2018)

I have one of those ergo shelf grips, and other then look cool (maybe) it doesn't do much. Other then provide another resting option. I read somewhere that the theory of the rest was to put your hand in the same place every time. The rest does force your hand into the same position each time. Probably marginal benefit at best at my skill. Your mileage may differ. Save you money and put a regular grip on it. One day I'll get around to replacing it.

All I know is for grips I've come to prefer a much more vertical angle like say magpul or bcm as opposed to a more slanted angle like tangodown
    Please refer to me as Waynetheperson, I wouldn't want to offend anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by ISaidShotgun! View Post
    I have one of those ergo shelf grips, and other then look cool (maybe) it doesn't do much. Other then provide another resting option. I read somewhere that the theory of the rest was to put your hand in the same place every time. The rest does force your hand into the same position each time. Probably marginal benefit at best at my skill. Your mileage may differ. Save you money and put a regular grip on it. One day I'll get around to replacing it.
    Thanks for the insight. I shall stick with a regular grip then.

A couple questions for you to make sure you're getting what you want:
    - Have you spent a lot of time with the AR platform?
    - Are you dead-set on getting a bipod?

The reason I ask is that I have found they generally get in the way, and just add more weight than they're worth. On a conventional rifle they make sense because there is no other way to stabilize the front.

However, with most modern full-size mags (even if pinned), I find you can rest the mag on the ground and/or wedge it into something else.

It's obviously not as stable as a bipod if you're going for the smallest groups possible, but it's pretty darned good, it's free, and it makes the rifle even easy to fire from other positions without the extra weight in front.
    I have no signature block.

Canadian ForcesMember Billythreefeathers's Avatar
    Like it Drache,, I'm thinking about the same thing to start,, looking at wallnut later on

I swapped the standard hard plastic one on the Bushmaster for this one from DD;

https://danieldefense.com/furniture/...rip-black.html

The textured bit is a softer rubber, seems a little more gripy (is that a word?) when your hands are wet.
    A mind is like a parachute. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine.

I agree with Run'n'Gun that the DD soft overmold furniture is the best AR furniture you can get.

I've held dozens of different grips, and once you hold the DD stuff you'll never want anything else.

I have no signature block.

Quote Originally Posted by Run 'n' Gun View Post
    I swapped the standard hard plastic one on the Bushmaster for this one from DD;

https://danieldefense.com/furniture/...rip-black.html

The textured bit is a softer rubber, seems a little more gripy (is that a word?) when your hands are wet.
    I totally agree on the soft rubber feeling over the hard plastic

Ok so here it is so far. Still have a little tweaking to do. The rings I'm using aren't as high as I'd like so I'll need to go higher... problem is the rights are already "high".

10 Round E-Lander magazines are on the way, the normal 30 round mags are just way too long.

12. The Following User Liked This Post By Drache

Billythreefeathers (03-19-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast