Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I was at Fed Up I and II. Waste of time and resources. 10,000 gun owners having one meeting on Parliament Hill is more expensive, more time consuming and less effective than one gun owner having a meeting with his MP x 10,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Two For Sure View Post
    I was at Fed Up I and II. Waste of time and resources. 10,000 gun owners having one meeting on Parliament Hill is more expensive, more time consuming and less effective than one gun owner having a meeting with his MP x 10,000.
    I disagree. For one thing, the Fools On The Hill wouldn't have turned out the federal snipers sitting in shaggy piles of string if the first demo hadn't made a big impression on them. But although it would look really good in the media, people actually don't have to come from huge distances anyway, there are lots of us in the Ottawa area. And although it would mean that many times more organizing, maybe there could be regional demos.
    "All organizations that are not actually right-wing will over time become left-wing." --John O'Sullivan (1989)

CSSA, NRA, and OFAH (yeah, I know)

3. The Following User Liked This Post By Ruff

glockfan (03-16-2018)

I remember Fed Up II showing up on the national news that day. The protest was covered on television news for maybe 20 seconds, followed by MPs making statements for another 2 minutes. The next day it wasn't anywhere in the media (television, newspapers).

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    I remember Fed Up II showing up on the national news that day. The protest was covered on television news for maybe 20 seconds, followed by MPs making statements for another 2 minutes. The next day it wasn't anywhere in the media (television, newspapers).
    Well like I said my mom got a big eyeful of it. And anyway the point is to impress our elected representative masters, not the CBC.
    "All organizations that are not actually right-wing will over time become left-wing." --John O'Sullivan (1989)

CSSA, NRA, and OFAH (yeah, I know)

If you want change , you should 1) talk to your local MP in person . 2) Get your gun club/range to become politically active locally . 3) Join your local riding association , and try to get on your local board of directors for your riding association .
    " Better To Fight For Something , Than Live For Nothing " ; " When In Doubt....ATTACK ".......Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

the manipulation of social media is imo the biggest threat to any reasonable gun laws, as I said elsewhere, sensational lies gather more media than simple truths, we need more people debunking the lies that get spread on social media

from, well it's obvious.

It was posted today, written some time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by John Y Cannuck
    found this on my computer, I'd forgottten writing it, it's still viable

Many years ago, a lifetime it seems, I was affronted as a hunter, and sports shooter, by my government.
    Liberals it is said will do anything to get elected. So it certainly seemed to us shooters.
    We were set upon with a barrage of twisted statistics, half truths and outright lies.
    They polled Canadians about gun control, feeding on the uninformed. The questions, and I think there were four, were used to come to one conclusion. It didn't matter if you answered NO to three, of the questions, if you answered YES to even ONE question, you were deemed IN FAVOUR of gun control for statistical purposes.
    So naturally, many folks did just that, and they had their statistics, showing huge support for their cause.
    Fledgling groups of sport shooters and hunters sprang up, The CSSA, the NFA, the already established OFAH, and many others, some radical, some not, some grew, some failed. The community was not speaking with one voice.
    But somehow, they did get together, on the most important points, and with help from faxes, phone calls and newsletters, they organized two huge Ottawa rallies. FEDUP I and FEDUP II.
    Hunters and sports shooters came from coast to coast to Ottawa that day by the bus load. Me, I drove.
    This was the pre-911 era, when you could drive to the steps of Parliament most days. Not this day.
    I parked along the river some distance from the hill, and walked. A gorgeous day, and hot if I remember right. There were a few scattered tents on the lawn in front of the hill, and from one of these I got my introduction to what was really going on behind the scenes.
    But where were the people? It was well past time they were all here.... The birds were the first indication, flying off from their roosts amongst the buildings, as a mass of yelling Canadians the full width of the street, and as far as the eye could see came into view. They quickly spread out and filled most all of the lawn in front of the Parliament buildings, screaming for unbiased policy, with the Chant "FEDUP, FEDUP", and reminding the politicians of their constituents, with "WE VOTE", "WE VOTE"
    It was a heady atmosphere for a young man, but the rich and righteous Liberals would have none of it. Minister Allan Rock took the podium and after the boos had quieted, spouted government policy like we were not even there.
    The rally had done little to affect the government, but it had galvanized shooters.
    The Liberal media gave us little coverage, but it was enough to show shooters across the country that they were not alone.
    I and many others began a letter writing campaign that continues to this day, we will not allow fraudulent statistics, and yellow journalism to ever again influence public opinion. We tell the truth, and we back it up with irrefutable facts.
    By the time Fedup II was organized, the internet, in a fledgling form was becoming popular, and it became our most important tool.
    Anne Mclellan took the podium this time, yelling out to a crowd of near the same size, the "the debate is over". The statement was supposed to be demoralizing, it just made us determined, and mad.
    The progressive conservative party of that time, was not our friend either, having started us down the road to gun control under Kim Campbell. But, when a new party based in western Canada under Preston Manning was formed, from the ashes of the old party rose a new and invigorated group of REFORMers. They were about family values, and the average Canadian, Not the rich, and their friends.

They understood us, and could see how the liberals were using sentiment, and knee jerk reactions to fuel support.
    Up to this point, we had been talking online though what is called newsgroups, and American websites.
    Canadian firearms culture parallels American, but is decidedly different. Different enough, that problems frequently arose on American sites.
    So it was that all those years ago, a young Toronto shooter established what is now one of the largest shooting communities on the Canadian web, with currently well over 90,000 members, and growing at amazing speed. That website, Canadiangunnutz.com was originally conceived of as simply a place for Canadian shooters to talk.
    A very simple format at first, it soon had to be divided into subforums to help folks find anything amongst the growing number of topics and posts.
    One of the subforums was politics, and there the Canadian shooting community finally came together. Not as an entity, there is no NRA in Canada, but simply as a group of shooters of like mind, dedicated to educating the Canadian public and keeping lies and false statistics in check.
    Here we could discuss the days news from one coast to the other, even that of the far north, and respond to falsehoods with facts.
    Gradually, the public came to see the truth, that firearms are no more evil than baseball bats, or knives. It's the person holding the tool that is the problem, not the tool. If a person is bent on completing an evil act, the lack of a firearm will not dissuade him or her from doing so, just as a piece of paper (registration certificate) that has to be with that firearm will not change what that person might use it for.
    In the past, Liberal politicians have used disasters like Ecolle' Politechnique to elicit an emotional response, and get themselves elected.
    Imagine what could have happened if that individual had used a firebomb, or even driven an automobile into a crowd of people. He need not have used a firearm, and given the lack of one, would likely have committed his horrible act in another way. Neither would having his firearm registered have dissuaded him, he intended to die, he wanted fame, and I will not give his corpse the satisfaction of using his name.
    So, I walked this time from my hotel, up to post 911 Parliament hill. Past a number of RCMP, some with what must be the most boring of jobs, that of gate keeper. To stand where all those years ago, Allan Rock, and later Anne McLellan stood.
    I couldn't help but think, "is the debate over now Anne?"
    I gazed down where as a young man I had stood, and watched the parade of fellow shooters fill the grounds, many are now dead and gone, many are now my friends. A new generation of shooters must now step forward.
    Never let your guard down, never give in. If they come for your friends rifle, or handgun yours will be next.
    Do not ever believe that "we don't really need that semi auto", or "that handgun", because when that one is gone, they will only move on to the next, and the next, until they are all gone.
    Stand up for your sport, and that of your friends, if you don't shoot handgun, stand together with those that do, if you don't hunt, stand together with those that do.
    For not to do so will be our undoing.
    We are one, brothers, sports shooters, and hunters.
    Support new ventures in the shooting area, popularize the sport, take a friend, a young person, a politician, or a news person shooting, or hunting.
    Never let an anti shooter get away with miss information.
    We have in Parliament right now, Our best chance at reform. Don't waste the opportunity, write your MP. Better yet, if you can, come to Ottawa, and see for yourself. Make an appointment with your MP, and you can talk to him face to face in his Ottawa office. I did for over an hour.

Even better if you can do it with a Liberal or NDP MP. The fact that you drove to Ottawa and talked to him personally will have much better effect that his aid walking in and saying "we got another email today", "I dealt with it."

There are lots of attractions in Ottawa as well, so you can make a holiday out of it, and take your family.
    After a tour with my MPs assistant, I watched the vote from the comfort of the members gallery. What a great feeling it was when Candice Hoeppenner stood and voted, giving a thumbs up to the gallery, she seemed to be aiming straight at me. I returned it along with all who were with me, and there were many.
    Off to the senate now, and, according to the Prime Minister, we may be rid of the registry, by the first days of summer.
    This is NOT the end of the fight of course, One day, the forces that oppose us will once again rule the hill.
    We must be on our guard.
    Educating the public, with the truth, is our best line of defence.
    The amount of grey hair I saw in that room was disturbing to me.
    We need the youth to take up the fight.
    Aim true, and shoot straight, let the truth be our guide.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123