Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    Yeah one of the guys I shoot with on Friday been shooting and reloading for over 40 years and put over 80K thru his Gen 2 Glock. So hes a world of knowledge when comes to reloading. I thought about getting into casting, But he said it ain't worth it, if I'm paying 112$ per 1000.

Seems like the Xmetal groups well for me.

i started casting because the wife started to shoot ipsc with me, and i can't keep stretching the cash involved by feeding 2 guns . all my lead cost 0 because i have access to COWW for free. the equipement i bought paid for itself after 8000 rounds . between primers and powder, the cost is close to nothing.like 3 dollars for 50 loaded rounds,so we can shoot as much as we feel alike without having to scramble with the budget. BUT,it's time consuming. between casting and coating,yes it claim a lot of my free time,but it really worth it in MY situation. my WW cast boolits with some added linotype provides 13 to 16 BHN which is more than enough hardness for the relatively low speed of the pistol ammunition we use . ...and i can use my cast ammo at the games since it's coated so no restrictions due to lead vaporizing in indoor ranges.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbes/Hutton View Post
    I was hoping he would show up and do something useful in front of the cameras. Like beat the flames out with his face.

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    i started casting because the wife started to shoot ipsc with me, and i can't keep stretching the cash involved by feeding 2 guns . all my lead cost 0 because i have access to COWW for free. the equipement i bought paid for itself after 8000 rounds . between primers and powder, the cost is close to nothing.like 3 dollars for 50 loaded rounds,so we can shoot as much as we feel alike without having to scramble with the budget. BUT,it's time consuming. between casting and coating,yes it claim a lot of my free time,but it really worth it in MY situation. my WW cast with some added linotype provides 13 to 16 BHN which is more than enough hardness for the relatively low speed of most pistol ammunition. ...and i can use my cast ammo since it's coated so no restrictions due to lead vaporizing in indoor ranges.
    Yeah I'm at 8.50 a box. Cheapest I've seen 50rd box of 9mm is about 15$. So down to almost 1/2 the cost.

Getting bullets cheaper would be nice and probably could get equipment cost down. Being just using a propane burner stove and old alum or SS pot and a dipper. It would be finding lead that would be the problem.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    CZ's in general like short COAL. my 1st gen shadow was dead reliable with 1.100. i know hangus hobdell (CZ custom shop) was loading his at 1.095 wich is quite short to me. apart of the throat,cz's mags are also a limiting factor because they feed reliably short cartridges only. both my CZ tactical sport i use in ipsick won't feed properly at speed over 1.135 coal. most 2011's like much more longer cartriges .it is not rare to see 1.200coal in a 2011 mag.

as for hi tek, i'm casting my own since awhile now, and i use hi tek (old gold) as coating. MY coating pass the hammer and acetone test 100% and i use 2 baked coats on my ammo.

XMETAL.......i've witnessed some silly things ,like coating peeling off,and most of the boolits i've tested awhile ago were leaving the coating in the barrel riflings.no good.

i know that some guys at the games tried their loaded ammo, but none of them kept doin so because of the poor accuracy adn they're loaded quite randomly. try to dismantle couple round and weight the powder......you might be surprized lol. i know Xmetal loaded ammo will never find its way in my guns ; i can live with not so
    accurate rounds because at the games we don't need perfect rounds like in long range
    shooting , BUT there's something not right regarding the baking process they use for the hi tek coating.

OF COURSE all this is my experience with Xmetal ammo, but your own milleage may vary.....while i got same kind of reports from other shooters.....there's A whole lot of offers out there, Xmetal is just one of them.
    I never had an issue with deposits in the barrel on my .45, but had some with the coating slipping off during reloading and causing misfeeds.

Only 500rds since I cleaned it, and honestly it's not that bad.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123