Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks, I'll look into all options, including Zenni.
    CSSA CCFR CPC

Quote Originally Posted by 762shooter View Post
    Where do you think the lenses and frames your optometrist sells you for hundreds of dollars come from? All I'm doing when I buy glasses direct from China is cutting out the middlemen. I'm not saying this is a good thing for our economy but it's the reality.
    Not China. At least not in my case. You can find products that aren't made in China. You can also let vendors know that you prefer products that are made by Canadians or Americans, built in countries that have labour laws, environmental laws, etc.

Or one can blindly support China with your purchases, at the cost of your neighbors and your country. Our wallets are what drive the economy, you have the power to make effective choices with that buying power.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Soph View Post
    Not China. At least not in my case. You can find products that aren't made in China. You can also let vendors know that you prefer products that are made by Canadians or Americans, built in countries that have labour laws, environmental laws, etc.

Or one can blindly support China with your purchases, at the cost of your neighbors and your country. Our wallets are what drive the economy, you have the power to make effective choices with that buying power.
    Of course you have the option of not supporting China or any other country however you better be prepared to live a life that would make a Amish look like a technology guru. You should also check labels for countless other countries that have little if any worker protection. It is good to do ones best however know there are many factories all over the world that do their best to be good corporate citizens. It is so march larger than just boycotting China.
    Last edited by Lee Enfield; 04-09-2018 at 08:18 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Enfield View Post
    Of course you have the option of not supporting China or any other country however you better be prepared to live a life that would make a Amish look like a technology guru. You should also check labels for countless other countries that have little if any worker protection. It is good to do ones best however know there are many factories all over the world that do their best to be good corporate citizens. It is so march larger than just boycotting China.
    It's about understanding where your money goes, and what it does. Obviously with the bulk of the population fixed on "keeping their money in their own pocket" as a priority, we are in a position now where you simply cannot avoid supporting China. For folks like yourself it is more important to buy the cheap widget from China and "keep that money in your own pocket", than support the local artisan down the road, or the Canadian worker in the factory in the city down the highway. That's your choice, and it's your money to spend as you see fit.

Let me be clear though, I don't expect you to change your ways. Most Canadians won't either. I do screen my purchases where possible. Obviously I can't avoid buying a Chinese or Mexican made product. But when I have a choice, I will always look to support my neighbors first, and if it means paying a little more, I have no problem with that at all provided I am getting a quality product in the end. Your mileage will of course vary.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

In many cases you won't even know that you bought a Chinese product. For instance, my understanding is that most of the eyeglass lenses sold by your friendly neighborhood optometrist are made in China and simply fitted to the frames you choose. Also, despite French or Italian sounding names China is the country of origin for many of the frames your local optometrist sells.

The horse is long since out of the barn.

Quote Originally Posted by 762shooter View Post
    In many cases you won't even know that you bought a Chinese product. For instance, my understanding is that most of the eyeglass lenses sold by your friendly neighborhood optometrist are made in China and simply fitted to the frames you choose. Also, despite French or Italian sounding names China is the country of origin for many of the frames your local optometrist sells.

The horse is long since out of the barn.
    You have to be diligent. Lenses aren't that hard if you press the issue, actually most things are not as there are country of origin requirements on all goods sold. For most retail products those labels are quite evident, but for things like lenses you do have to ask for that proof. But it is simply that, an ask. As I noted earlier, you can find the non-Chinese made products if you are willing to look for them.
    Last edited by Soph; 04-10-2018 at 07:29 AM.
    ― George Orwell

I have a pair of ESS CDI, (not prescription) sunglasses. They are really nice, come with clear lenses as well. They run about $110 plus shipping (I got lucky and got them for like 77 bucks because they were on back order for over a month), They Meet MIL PRF 31013 and ANSI Z87. There's a few different models. I think you can get them with an Rx, but the Rx may only meet ANSI and not MIL STD https://essforces.ca/index.php?route=store/store
    https://essforces.ca/ess_support

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12