Bullet comparison for use with hodgon reloading

Hey guys and gals have a question regarding using the Hodgens Reloading Data.

I am fairly new to reloading and
    Tying to find out the appropriate amount of powder for my Hornady 165 grain SST in my 3006 using imr 4451..
    it says on the website if you're a particular bullet is not shown pick the one that's closest to the one you have ie l. Similar core and jacket type...
    the two options that are given to me is the Sierra spbt or the Hornady GMX, all are hundred sixty-five grain.
    which bullet do I pick for the chart in the Hodgen reloading system.
    I have the hornady info but they are all very light on the 2 other calibers i loaded not even close to hodgon, lee, or Lyman book.. as a matter of fact there hornady max is where or below the minimum of everything else iv found.
    so far i have found this web site ( hodgon) to be most accurate better than either book.

But which bullet is most like the sst...
    Gmx or Sierra spbt?

Tia for your input.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Hi. The only part that matters is the bullet weight plus jacketed or cast and now, solids. Who made it or its construction doesn't matter. Except for the solids. A GMX is a solid copper bullet. The data is different due to the difference in density between lead and copper. Copper, being a great deal less dense than lead, the bullet has to be longer to have the same weight. (The math is about the mass of tubular objects. Give you a headache.) A 165 grain GMX is 1.399" long vs the 1.274" is an SST. An SPBT is 1.191" long. I'd bet the synthetic insert on the SST point is .083" long. Oh and both the SPBT and SST are lead cored bullets. They uses the same data by the weight of the bullet.
    "...web site (Hodgdon) to be most accurate better than either book..." The data is the same as their on-line load data site's data. Load manuals take about 2 years or more to compile and publish. That doesn't mean it's not correct or accurate.
    Hodgdon makes the powder and tests loads with assorted bullet makers bullets. Lee does no testing of any kind. They use Hodgdon's data. Hornady tests their own bullets only. Lyman tests loads but don't make bullets or powder. Their manual is far more versatile than any bullet or powder makers book.

Moved to the Reloading section.

The GMX is an all-copper bullet, and copper being lighter than lead, the bullet needs to be longer to make up the same length.
    Because it is longer, there is more bearing surface rubbing along the bore, with more friction, which builds more pressure.
    That is why all-copper bullets have lower powder charges.
    Hornady groups all of thier 165gr bullets together, so they print data for the 'lowest' of the bunch, the GMX.
    That's one(the?) reason that Hornady data is usually on the conservative side.

The Sierra bullet is closer to the SST, but looking at the two on my bullet charts, I think the SST is a bit longer.
    I'd drop the Sierra data down a grain from max, and call that my arbitrary max, unless the groups were really starting to tighten up and the brass was showing absolutely no signs of pressure.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

4. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Rory McCanuck

GTW (04-15-2018), kennymo (04-15-2018)

^^ I'm with Rory. Work up the Sierra data, watch for over pressure near the top end.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

What Rory and Kenny said is solid advice.
    "Mr. Speaker, we really could replace Justin Trudeau with a cardboard cutout, and his peanut gallery wouldn't know the difference"

Note that for some cartridges like 45-70 you have 3 classifications in load data: 1) legacy firearms (trapdoor), 2) leverguns (Marlin 1895, Win 1886 ...), strong action (Ruger #1, Siamese Mauser).
    NFA member
    NRA Life Member
    OFAH member

I consider the minimum (starting) loads in that Hodgdon data as my maximum load for my Marlin 1895 GS 45-70.
    I don't care what anyone says they're pretty friggin hot.
    My heavy hard cast projectiles don't need a lot of velocity to kill fast & clean anyway.
    NFA member
    NRA Life Member
    OFAH member

When I started reloading got lots of advice from two people in particular.

The data from Hornady appears to have been written by lawyer to prevent law suits. It is decent data but so different than that from my Lyman book. I check Hogdon but rarely use their data, just curious when on my computer. I generally use my Lyman book and always check my Hornady to see how close they are.

Both of the people I had for mentors were quite anal so always on the safe side. The one worked/co-owned for decades at the local gun shop and he always reminded me that the data was for a specific bullet in a specific gun and to never overlook that. It is something to remember.