Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by t_glover View Post
    I made it to the range today to try out the accuracy with the barrel stabilizer installed.
    I am impressed my best 4 shot group out of 5 was 1 9/16" a big improvement
    over 3 7/8".

I took the gas block off and installed the .035" bushing that I made. With the .040" bushing most of the brass
    was thrown about 8'.

With my SKS I can hit a 12" steel gong at 200 yards 9 times out of ten with Chinese corrosive ammo and open sights.

Terry
    Nice group! I have a 583 Mini-30 with a 1-4x leupold and I can hold to under 2" for a 3 shot group, but for a 5 shot group it opens up to about 2 1/4". Also have an accustrut on mine.

2. The Following User Liked This Post By Anomaly

Waterloomike (05-04-2018)

Yes same ammo.
    I was surprised too.

Terry

4. The Following User Liked This Post By t_glover

Waterloomike (05-04-2018)

I gotta say, even with the brutal trigger, sloppy stock, iron sights and a tendency for my surplus ammo to tumble inside of 50 yards...

I still tend to hit what I'm shooting at with my silly SKS.

It will never be a bench rest gun, but for what you get it's an AMAZING deal.

I want a non-restricted AR-15. It is the perfect firearm for sport and light hunting. At least varmints and predator control.

Barring that I want a semi-auto .223 but they are either outrageously expensive, plagued by design flaws, poor shooters or all of the above.

I've always wanted a mini-14... One day I still might get one. If they were $700 NIB I would buy one.

6. The Following User Liked This Post By Hidyn

Camo tung (05-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by t_glover View Post
    I made it to the range today to try out the accuracy with the barrel stabilizer installed.
    I am impressed my best 4 shot group out of 5 was 1 9/16" a big improvement
    over 3 7/8".

I took the gas block off and installed the .035" bushing that I made. With the .040" bushing most of the brass
    was thrown about 8'.

With my SKS I can hit a 12" steel gong at 200 yards 9 times out of ten with Chinese corrosive ammo and open sights.

Terry
    That is a real big difference for the better. That stabilizer really worked out well. Sure feels good when a plan comes together.

Cold barrel accuracy is acceptable but what is the sense in owning a semi auto if you have to wait 2 minutes between shots?
    I sighted the scope in for warm barrel accuracy if you can call it that. At 100 yards the first shot out of the cold barrel is 2" to the left and 4" low.
    I aimed 4" high and 2" to the right for the first shot and put it almost in the center of the target. The rest were 4 shot groups fired about
    10 seconds apart allowing the barrel to cool for about a minute between 4 shot groups. The scope needs a slight adjustment to the right.
    The target pictured was 20 rounds 2 missed the target on the left. I have tried a few different powders and bullet weights with the same results.
    The target pictured is 8 1/2" x 11" the group is about 5" x 6". Its a fun gun to shoot and I have no intention of parting with it.

Terry

9. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By t_glover

lone-wolf (05-06-2018), Waterloomike (05-06-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    False. If youíre comparing gun vs gun, there is no chance an SKS wins anything.

However, if youíre talking about dollar vs dollar value, or pro-rating dollar vs accuracy, maybe you can make a point.

But quality vs quality or accuracy vs accuracy, no SKS can touch a Mini if money isnít a factor.
    False, my SKS shoots consistently way better than my Mini 14 ever did, and I have done nothing to it. Nothing. Bone stock, 1951. Way heavier, and does not look or feel as nice, but way more accurate, and just as reliable... Can't hunt in southern ontario with them though.

Expensive noise makers.
    But if you like noise go for it.
    Cheaper to buy an SKS.
    The horsemen will be making a grab for the minis and the SKSs once c71 passes and the RCMP becomes the omnipotent Gun God of Canada.
    NFA member
    NRA Life Member
    OFAH member

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234