Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_M View Post
    Just did mine last month and it only took 15 days. It was an RPAL so a few days after I submitted the renewal (online) I emailed a copy of my range membership to the CFO. Often the need that but don't bother telling you.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
    There’s nothing in the firearms act or regulations that requires a range membership to apply for or renew a RPAL.
    The law stipulates that you must be using the restricted firearms for the lawful purpose that was stated on the initial registration application which is usually target practice.
    You could regularly attend a ‘pay per visit’ club and fulfill that requirement without being a full member.
    But people keep ‘empowering’ the CFOs to ‘make law’ by taking their made up laws as gospel and being too scared to challenge them in court.
    Why hasn’t this and other instances of the RCMP & CFOs ‘making their own law’ been challenged?
    Another example of the Canadian gun orgs being asleep at the switch.
    Last edited by Gunrunner; 05-15-2018 at 07:31 PM.
    NFA member
    NRA Life Member
    OFAH member

you could comply, or wait 6 - 9 months

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    you could comply, or wait 6 - 9 months
    If I was already a restricted club member I probably would comply.
    But if I had a ‘pay per visit’ arrangement with a club there’s no way I’d be forking out the dough for a full membership just to comply with a CFO ‘fake law’.
    These government guys have got to realize that not everybody is made of money.
    NFA member
    NRA Life Member
    OFAH member

Quote Originally Posted by Gunrunner View Post
    There’s nothing in the firearms act or regulations that requires a range membership to apply for or renew a RPAL.
    The law stipulates that you must be using the restricted firearms for the lawful purpose that was stated on the initial registration application which is usually target practice.
    You could regularly attend a ‘pay per visit’ club and fulfill that requirement without being a full member.
    But people keep ‘empowering’ the CFOs to ‘make law’ by taking their made up laws as gospel and being too scared to challenge them in court.
    Why hasn’t this and other instances of the RCMP & CFOs ‘making their own law’ been challenged?
    Another example of the Canadian gun orgs being asleep at the switch.
    Actually... There is. And NS CFO also requires section 6 in the Shooting Clubs & Shooting Ranges Regulations. Because I personally contacted our CFO on this matter. They wouldn't transfer guns back to a friend because he didn't have a up to date club membership.

Thank you for your email. In answer to your question regarding confirming purpose for owning a restricted firearm, please see Section 28 (b) of the Firearms Act and Section 6 of the Shooting Clubs & Shooting Ranges Regulations. You also asked about an ATT, which is an Authorization to Transport and differs from the Bill C-42 conditions that can be attached to an individual’s licence. These conditions are added to a licence once a person has confirmed purpose that you are either a gun club member (in your case) or that you are considered a collector.

Thank you

Provincial Firearms Office

Department of Justice
    Someone said it wasn't for renewals. But all goes back to section 28 of the FA.

So some provinces CFO do not require range membership, but It's still written in the FA that gives them the ability to make whatever law they want.

Requirements for Users

6 No person may use a restricted firearm or prohibited handgun at a shooting range unless the person is

(a) a member or an officer of an approved shooting club;

(b) a guest of a person referred to in paragraph (a); or

(c) an individual who ordinarily resides outside of Canada who is either a member of a recognized shooting organization or a guest described in paragraph (b).
    What you are looking for is Section 67(2) of the firearms act.

(2) On renewing a licence authorizing an individual to possess restricted firearms or handguns referred to in subsection 12(6.1) (pre-December 1, 1998 handguns), a chief firearms officer shall decide whether any of those firearms or handguns that the individual possesses are being used for a purpose described in section 28.
    28 A chief firearms officer may approve the transfer to an individual of a restricted firearm or a handgun referred to in subsection 12(6.1) (pre-December 1, 1998 handguns) only if the chief firearms officer is satisfied

(a) that the individual needs the restricted firearm or handgun

(i) to protect the life of that individual or of other individuals, or

(ii) for use in connection with his or her lawful profession or occupation; or

(b) that the purpose for which the individual wishes to acquire the restricted firearm or handgun is

(i) for use in target practice, or a target shooting competition, under conditions specified in an authorization to transport or under the auspices of a shooting club or shooting range that is approved under section 29, or

(ii) to form part of a gun collection of the individual, in the case of an individual who satisfies the criteria described in section 30.
    Not everybody has 10 to 15,000$ to challenge the government to court, than make them self a target to the government.. Our range memberships are 75$ after the first year. I only pay 225 for 2 clubs. 225$ is much cheaper than 10 to 15,000$ in legal fees.

We also do not have the privilege of crown land target shooting. Why our government has like a dozen free DNR ranges across the province.
    Last edited by RobertMcC; 05-16-2018 at 07:02 AM.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

Yup, Nova Scotia & New Brunswick gun owners have allowed their provinces government through devious manipulation of the game laws and regs to in effect turn all their non restricted firearms into ‘range only’ restricted firearms.
    And as I said before there is no law stating that proof of full membership in a restricted shooting range is required for issue or renewal of a RPAL.
    All I need to do is prove if required that I am using the restricted firearms for the reason I stated on the initial registration application.
    If I have a pay per visit arrangement with a restricted club that is sufficient to prove use for target practice under the auspices of an approved shooting club.
    Not many individuals have the dough to front a court challenge but where are the Canadian gun orgs in all this?
    This is nothing compared to what we are going to face with the RCMP as ‘God of Guns’ after c71 passes.
    Last edited by Gunrunner; 05-17-2018 at 06:15 AM.
    NFA member
    NRA Life Member
    OFAH member

Did my RPAL online May 6, called in on the following Thursday and the nice lady said it was sent to the Alberta CFO, called Alberta CFO yesterday and the fellow said it was all good and approved it. Said I should get it by the end of next week.
    Can’t remember the fellows name from Alberta CFO but was very pleasant to talk to.
    Member- NRA NFA CSSA CSC

Renewed online with additional info sent via email on Mar 24. Was going to call last week but got busy and forgot about it. Showed up today in the mail. Mailed May 11. So 48 days and the rest is on the post office. Not bad for Ontario I guess. I admit I checked for a 12.6 to appear, lol. I buy a lottery ticket twice a month so why not.

Just to get back to the original post.... My RPAL renewal was initiated Mar.23rd. The RCMP charged my credit card Mar.23rd.

Still says license has completed initial processing. 'Still have had no license issued.

I called the RCMP and CFO and they said there's no red flags on the license, no incomplete parts, and that it must be just a busy time.

In 3 days it will be 2 months that I've been waiting.....

GRR.

Nobody gets a new PAL in less than 30 days (28 day's is waiting period)
    A fast time for getting a new PAL used to be 45 days.
    If they're backlogged, or vacations, it gets longer.

It's good that DethMyst phoned -- since they just set incomplete applications aside, rather than phoning or emailing immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    Nobody gets a new PAL in less than 30 days (28 day's is waiting period)
    A fast time for getting a new PAL used to be 45 days.
    If they're backlogged, or vacations, it gets longer.

It's good that DethMyst phoned -- since they just set incomplete applications aside, rather than phoning or emailing immediately.
    Alberta CFO told me for a renewal there is no waiting period that’s why he approved mine so quick.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast