Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Booletsnotreactwell View Post
    Yea I'm thinking that too.

I'm looking at the cocking piece in slow mo as I apply the safety, the cocking piece does ride up and fall back into the notch on it which is exactly how it should work.

That thread you linked before, the guy in it sound like he's having exactly the problem I am having, he ends up fixing it with a new trigger. Come to think of it, looking at the trigger, there does seem to be a little bit of wear as I can see a little bit of exposed shinny metal.

Anyway I bought a safety, I'll see what happens when I get it. If not I'll try the cocking piece then the sear. Then if that dosen't work I'll rage quit, strap tannerite to it and blow it up.
    At least give me the receiver?.. I need a non bubba one for my Isreali K98.

But K98 parts are not that expensive.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

Always against the grain Booletsnotreactwell's Avatar
    Okay so I got another problem, sort of.

I took the K98 out for a spin today to zero it.... And I sucked shit... This is coming from the guy that was printing 3/4 MOA groups with his AR using a stock trigger/10x scope about a year ago. Last I checked, I could do the same on a Savage 10TR in .308...

I haven't shot big bore stuff/traditional rifles in a while, I consider big bore once you go over 7.62x39. By the third box of ammo I was developing a bad flinch, full power Euro 8x57 IS loads and the steel butt plate had me in pain.

I was wearing my glasses and I could barely see the sights. I'm not kidding in that I couldn't get on paper at a sight in target 50 yards way... In the first two boxes I might have had 7 rounds hit the paper sporadically all over it... Like FFS I do better with my Ithaca shooting 3" magnum slugs.

I figure most of the rounds probably ended up going over my target... It took a while to figure out but the the gun seems to be basically already "zero" or the most it's gonna get anyway. It still shoots like 5" high at 50 yards and you can't back up the sight more than that. I figured that should roughly be a 100yd zero but I couldn't really test it because I couldn't hit anything at 100 with irons, strange because on an AR, M305, that's no problem doing that all day.

I figure the gun is probably around 5 MOA, but then I had a couple double taps right on top of each other at 50yd.

What's going on here, have I been spoiled by modern bolt guns/rubber butt pads/comfortable light recoiling semi-auto's and good glass? Any of you have similar experiences?

Go grab a limb saver should pad. Not the one that you install on the gun. But the one you wear over your shoulder. My 762x54 carbine gave me a bad flinch after taking the butpad into the collar bone on a speed shoot. Now I can shoot without feeling it and flinch went away..

Try that and than go back to the range. Groups should shrink since well you know where it shoots and you won't be thinking how much its going to hit you everytime you shoot.

Yeah Mausers shoot high. With a Sweed +1.5 front sight mine still shoots 6" high at 100M. Mind you mines 762x51 Nato.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

Always against the grain Booletsnotreactwell's Avatar
    Okay so I got my spare "unissued" K98k safety, installed it and what do you know doesn't work... Didn't solve my problem. Same thing keeps happening, safety sort of works but even with the safety on if you press the trigger all the way something will "click", nothing will fire but then if you flip the safety back to "fire" the gun will discharge.

So next up, the cocking piece, sear or trigger.

I feel like replacing the trigger would be pointless, it's not like an AR15 where the trigger IS the sear, unless I am missing something the trigger just acts on the sear in the K98k so it should be irrelevant to this problem.

Sounds like the safety is worn or the cocking piece is worn, watch these videos for proper operation -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12