Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Not it, but worth a check
    https://2016.export.gov/canada/

Internal transaction number generated by AES

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...mber-%28itn%29

That’s one part, AES is the system you need to be able to access I believe

Read up, and drive to the nearest airport with a US presence. If you’re near Vancouver, there’s other options, including an embassy. Maybe Kelowna has customs, not sure.

Same place you can get processed for your NEXUS by the US, you’ll find an office outside security you can access. If it’s a long trip, call first to see if an appointment can be made. Appointment needed for Nexus, likely for in depth conversation as well. Make sure you write down agents full name and number. They can be very erratic in deciding on vague portions of information, and having another agent for them to call/confirm will do wonders. Even if they don’t call them.

Quote Originally Posted by TreeLeaf View Post
    Thanks guys. I've spoken to CBSA and they've given me some good advice about importing the firearms, that's not a huge issue. The problem is legally exporting them from the USA.
    Quote Originally Posted by srdiver View Post
    If he was bringing them from St. Pierre, Miquelon, Bermuda, Jordan, Angola, Bolivia, Japan, possibly.

But not when our biggest trading partner, the USA, is involved. They have a system in place for things to leave.

To paraphrase Bilions “compliance must be complied with”

Quote Originally Posted by SIR VEYOR View Post
    If he was bringing them from St. Pierre, Miquelon, Bermuda, Jordan, Angola, Bolivia, Japan, possibly.

But not when our biggest trading partner, the USA, is involved. They have a system in place for things to leave.

To paraphrase Bilions “compliance must be complied with”
    It's incredible that it's so easy to find relatively straightforward information on taking firearms across the border temporarily, and pretty straightforward to pay a third party company to handle permanent export for you but so damn complicated just finding the information to do it yourself.

Thanks Veyor, that's pretty helpful, cheers.

Contact the US State Dept. They issue the one time exception letters for emigrants' firearms, estate firearms, etc.

we are overlooking the fact that he is not exporting - he already owns them, akin to US Citizen moving to Canada with a uhaul full of personal belongings or their vehicle already purchased and paid for. At the immediate time of crossing his intentions are not resale or transfer to a second party and intend on maintaining possesion of the firearms so they are not exporting.

Quote Originally Posted by srdiver View Post
    we are overlooking the fact that he is not exporting - he already owns them, akin to US Citizen moving to Canada with a uhaul full of personal belongings or their vehicle already purchased and paid for. At the immediate time of crossing his intentions are not resale or transfer to a second party and intend on maintaining possesion of the firearms so they are not exporting.
    It's technically exporting. If the firearms are leaving the US for a length of time, they are being exported. I haven't moved firearms across the US/Canada border, but I've imported/exported personal belongings and several vehicles in both directions. Personal possessions (that you've owned for at least 6 months) makes you export/import them tax free - usually (or tax free up to $10,000 on vehicles when going from US to Canada - but you pay GST/PST/HST on the remainder, and they may also get you on an air conditioning fee, etc.). You are technically exporting your personal possessions, you're just tax-exempt on most things - but it's exporting. But around certain goods like vehicles and firearms, there are also special processes to export and import outside your regular possessions - paperwork prepared and time at the counter on both sides of the border are required. Usually calling the places up and telling them what you want to do, they're pretty helpful - and they're usually pretty nice at the counter too. But I've seen people get sent away and unable to export vehicles from the US for not having their paperwork (you have to give them a few days notice of when you are crossing), so it definitely helps to do a bit of legwork.

I definitely wouldn't recommend just putting them on the truck with other belongings. Especially coming into the Canadian side, because they sometimes like to look at the moving trucks and see if GST needs to be paid. They usually just look for high ticket electronics, and see if stuff is in new boxes or check manufacturing dates (to figure if you've had for less than 6 months). But if they find something like firearms that aren't on the manifest, I wouldn't be surprised if they rat you out to the US side.

I wish I knew more to help, but I haven't done this yet. Although I am curious about how difficult and/or expensive this endeavour ends up being for Treeleaf, because just the other day I was thinking I might be in a position where I may need to do this one day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12