Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exporting from USA/Importing into Canada

I'm sure this has come up a lot but I couldn't see any recent threads so I'm hoping someone has some straightforward information.

I'm a Canadian permanent resident/US citizen and want to import some hunting rifles and a shotgun into BC from the USA (all unrestricted), I have a PAL.

They're not worth much (they're inherited and have sentimental value) and I live right on the border, paying an exporter to deal with it seems crazy since it'll cost as much or more than the guns are worth. I can get them to the US side without much hassle, all I would physically need to do is drive down, pick them up and drive back but the legalities on doing so seem really dense. Importing into Canada seems relatively easy, but I'm been all over the web and can't seem to find any straightforward information on exporting out of the USA. Has anyone done it themselves or is there a step by step anywhere online that can walk me through it?

Quote Originally Posted by TreeLeaf View Post
    I'm sure this has come up a lot but I couldn't see any recent threads so I'm hoping someone has some straightforward information.

I'm a Canadian permanent resident/US citizen and want to import some hunting rifles and a shotgun into BC from the USA (all unrestricted), I have a PAL.

They're not worth much (they're inherited and have sentimental value) and I live right on the border, paying an exporter to deal with it seems crazy since it'll cost as much or more than the guns are worth. I can get them to the US side without much hassle, all I would physically need to do is drive down, pick them up and drive back but the legalities on doing so seem really dense. Importing into Canada seems relatively easy, but I'm been all over the web and can't seem to find any straightforward information on exporting out of the USA. Has anyone done it themselves or is there a step by step anywhere online that can walk me through it?
    You cannot legally do what you are suggesting as you would not have the legal, permits and licenses for exporting firearms, even sporting firearms, out of the US. Canada would not care but the US would. It would be a felony if Iím not mistaken. Look online for ITAR.

There is nothing straightforward about exporting out of the US because it is anything but straightforward.

Now there used to be, and it might still be possible, for a US citizen to exercise a one time only export of personal firearms out of the US. It allows people emigrating to take them out or the exporting of estate firearms but there still is a paperwork process to look into. And you can only do it once. This might apply and would be worth investigating In your case. If you do the paperwork for this process and if it applies to your situation, you could save some money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Retired Soldier. Unemployed Engineer. Always a professional.

Webmaster for
    CANFIRE - Canada's Firearm Internet Resource
    IPSC Nova Scotia
    CANFIRE BLog

You would be wanting to perform a permanent export. It can be done by yourself, is apparently a one time exemption. And you can’t sell anything for at least a year. Depending on your permit, different parts. But it’s treated in Canada as part of your “Settler” inventory.

Not difficult, but make sure you read everything before going into it. You may be able to bring them up under “temporary/hunting” importation. That would be easier, but may not be best/proper/legal depending on your particulars.

Thank you both for the info! I'll definitely looking into the estate/permanent export.

Is there any definition on 'temporary'? Because I'd be sure to bring them back in 40 years when I've finished my hunting trip if that makes it kosher...

Quote Originally Posted by TreeLeaf View Post
    Thank you both for the info! I'll definitely looking into the estate/permanent export.

Is there any definition on 'temporary'? Because I'd be sure to bring them back in 40 years when I've finished my hunting trip if that makes it kosher...
    Start with “USA hunters in Canada”. Due to your non-typical status, you’ll have to do a bit of independent research and legwork. Not difficult, just lengthy. I’ve done it and so have others. My case was slightly different from yours. Explore your options carefully and completely.

Canadian permanent resident/US citizen is irrelevant. You must comply with U.S. export laws and Canadian import laws. One of the later will likely be paying GST.
    Read this. http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...porter-eng.htm
    "...USA hunters in Canada..." That doesn't apply either as those hunters are not exporting/importing permanently.

the simple answer is to simple give CBSA (Canada Border Service) a call, and lay out exactly what you intend on doing and "importing". CBSA are the ones that yah or nah if the items can be allowed in, and if their advice is yah keep the copy of the string of emails and present them at the time of crosssing.

Thanks guys. I've spoken to CBSA and they've given me some good advice about importing the firearms, that's not a huge issue. The problem is legally exporting them from the USA.

I've seen/heard of people successfully exporting firearms from the USA but noone seems to be willing to actually give me any solid usable advice on the steps required. One individual with a fair amount of knowledge on the subject who will remain anonymous advised me to just skip the export step and go straight to the the Canadian side, which I don't plan or want to do for several obvious reasons

Quote Originally Posted by SIR VEYOR View Post
    Start with “USA hunters in Canada”. Due to your non-typical status, you’ll have to do a bit of independent research and legwork. Not difficult, just lengthy. I’ve done it and so have others. My case was slightly different from yours. Explore your options carefully and completely.
    Do you have a link, or can you outline the steps you took to get your firearms across the border? My immigration status is irrelevant as (with respect to firearms) I have all the rights and responsibilities as a citizen.

Your immigration status is not irrelevant. Especially as the US may be concerned.

Start with “exporting a vehicle from the USA “. They’ve implemented a digital paperwork aspect that’ll make it more involved if you’re doing the permanent export process.

There’s a thread here about the same thing from a few years back. You should be able to find it. If the links aren’t there. Check with the OP. Aztec may have offered to help, but can’t remember.

I’ve been involved with the export thing twice, different circumstances each time. The digital process was fairly new and even the US border guys in Maine weren’t really sure on how it all worked. It’s probably got more helpful information on it now.

Again, since you know the Canadian requirements now, investigate your two US options. Temporary vs permanent. With no intent to sell, you may be able to use temporary. If permanent, read fine print, and maybe go on a buying* spree to just before your cutoff date for said purchases. Ammo can qualify os well, with amounts over the 5K possible.

Quote Originally Posted by SIR VEYOR View Post
    Your immigration status is not irrelevant. Especially as the US may be concerned.

Start with “exporting a vehicle from the USA “. They’ve implemented a digital paperwork aspect that’ll make it more involved if you’re doing the permanent export process.

There’s a thread here about the same thing from a few years back. You should be able to find it. If the links aren’t there. Check with the OP. Aztec may have offered to help, but can’t remember.

I’ve been involved with the export thing twice, different circumstances each time. The digital process was fairly new and even the US border guys in Maine weren’t really sure on how it all worked. It’s probably got more helpful information on it now.

Again, since you know the Canadian requirements now, investigate your two US options. Temporary vs permanent. With no intent to sell, you may be able to use temporary. If permanent, read fine print, and maybe go on a buying* spree to just before your cutoff date for said purchases. Ammo can qualify os well, with amounts over the 5K possible.
    I was referring to Canadian import, but yes you're correct, my USA status for USA export is important.

I understand I have to investigate my US options. I've been investigating my US options for several weeks now. The problem is I cannot find information on those options. That is why I started this thread. Because I need actual, tangible information. You say you've been involved in the export process twice and I should read the fine print. What fine print? Which form? Where is this fine print? I've been looking for this information and I can't find it. Can you outline the basic steps you took, or give me a link to website that outlines the steps, or link me to the forms you filled out, or give me something, anything that I can use to set me on the right track? I understand the system has most likely changed, but that will give me a starting point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast