Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendations

The ease of cleaning is the same regardless of what you buy. Barrels come off pretty much the same way on nearly all of 'em, semi or pump.
    You can buy strictly on the price, but for Southern Ontario deer hunting, think rifled sights, D&T'd for a scope and maybe even a rifled barrel. The MNR says a rifled barrel is still a shotgun. Asked 'em long ago. Mind you, you can buy a whole other shotgun for what Benelli wants for a rifled slug barrel. $630.99Cdn for a 24" Nova barrel at Al Flaherty’s in TO. You'll pay more just for the name with Benelli anything. Carlson barrels for Benelli's are about half that though.
    A 590A1 20" barrel with 8+1 capacity assuming a cylinder choke is dandy for upland birds or deer, but it must be plugged to 2 in the mag for hunting anything in Ontario. Does take M500 barrels. 590's aren't even mentioned on Mossberg's parts/accessories page. A search turns up M500 barrels only. Not a bad thing.

Remington 870 comes apart easily. Mossberg is a bit more fiddly, and I really have no desire to take apart my BPS.

But for most cleaning you’re just taking the barrel off, and they all do that.

I liked the SX4 and my brother ended up buying one.

Check to see if any of your local ranges is hosting any sort of demo shoot. Browning/Winchester and Beretta are always in my area annually at Wolverine Days. The SX4 and an A5 each were bought because of that
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

I’m old school Browning Auto 5 and Citori owner, but my son brought home the Winchester SXP Bird/Buck combo for about $750 if I recall correctly. It impressed the hell out of me. Good bang for the buck - no pun intended.
    "Mr. Speaker, we really could replace Justin Trudeau with a cardboard cutout, and his peanut gallery wouldn't know the difference"

Thanks again everyone. Much appreciated. Looks like I will check out the Winchester and the BPS while I go shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice
    You can buy strictly on the price, but for Southern Ontario deer hunting, think rifled sights, D&T'd for a scope and maybe even a rifled barrel. The MNR says a rifled barrel is still a shotgun. Asked 'em long ago. Mind you, you can buy a whole other shotgun for what Benelli wants for a rifled slug barrel. $630.99Cdn for a 24" Nova barrel at Al Flaherty’s in TO.
    D&T'd is why I am thinking the Benelli. Comes standard, as far as I have checked anyway. I know about the rifled barrel cost. Something that I can look at down the road, for now anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JustBen
    I will never sell my super nova. You won’t go wrong.
    That's what I have heard and read from many owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Cox
    $1000 for your first shotgun?
    I think it took me my first six or seven shot guns to add up to $1000
    Work bonuses make things a little easier. LOL!

Hopefully I will have my first ever purchase by the weekend! Looking forward to the adventure.

Anyone have or have info on the Stoeger M3500? Seems like it is another option I may look into. Nice gun for the price.

You can buy sooo many nice old shotguns.

I would say try some of the standards, rem 870, mossberg 500, ithaca 37, winchester model 12.

Most of those could be picked up for $300ish used then toss $75 to get it threaded for chokes(if needed)

Older browning auto 5s are pretty similar in price

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12