Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10mm 1911

I have the non-railed RIA. I forget the specific model. Aztech brought it in for me, as the only gun I could find up here was an old one with the ugly ass billboard on the slide.

If the Ruger had been announced a few weeks earlier then it had been I'd have waited for that, but that's just because I loved my SR1911.

The RIA is tight and accurate. I'm a fan of the bull barrel

It runs well

Minor issues: it is accumulating brass marks behind the ejection port at about 1 o'clock from the top of the slide. Whether that means too much or too little extractor tension I've not really resolved yet. It doesn't bother me much.

Second is that the last round hold open only worked reliably with the included magazine, which is metalform brand. Mec gar and a token really expensive Tripp I had sprung for did not work

I bought some extra metalform mags from Brownells. I also bought an Ed Brown 40/10mm slide stop that has completely fixed the issue.

I've put probably 500-700 rounds through it to this point. I load 180gr Cam Pros with Power Pistol as hot as I can that still shoots straight. Might try the 200s as its not a whole lot more impressive in the hand than 45ACP ball. Just louder and with a sharper recoil impulse.

If I find a good deal on the Ruger I may buy it, but only because I like Ruger. I'm happy with the performance of the RIA.
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
    I have the non-railed RIA. <Snip>

Second is that the last round hold open only worked reliably with the included magazine, which is metalform brand. Mec gar and a token really expensive Tripp I had sprung for did not work

I bought some extra metalform mags from Brownells. I also bought an Ed Brown 40/10mm slide stop that has completely fixed the issue.

<Snip>
    My Nork .45 had the same issue. I built up the end of the slide stop with the Tig welder, reformed it, than tried it in pistol with a dummy round, and shaped it to clear the bullets; polished it, and have not missed a beat since!

3. The Following User Liked This Post By MarkR

Mark-II (06-12-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Druu View Post
    A friend of mine suggested a glock what did you think of that in 10mm?
    I've never been a fan of the triggers on the polymer guns, (I hated my M&P until I put an Apex trigger in it, I use it more the my 1911 Trojan now) So I must say that I did not like the trigger, and I felt that the gun was too light for the 10mm(too much barrel rise) That being said.. the Glock is a very good firearm, the trigger can be changed and you can adapt and get used to how it works after practice and time.
    The Glocks are cheaper to buy initially, but can be more in the long run if your planning upgrades. I have a $700 Glock 17 that I have spent a total of $1600 on to make ME happy with it's operation and feel. While others will run them stock forever, It's all a personal preference thing.
    I would check and see if Phoenix or Wild West has a Glock 21 you can try and see if you like it, the 45ACP will be close, little less bang.
    Personally I would go with the 1911 style or more preferably the Sig 220

Sig 220 is a beast of a gun. I've only shot the 45acp version of that variant.

It was on my consideration list, but I have a hard time putting that much into a single pistol.

But of all of the choices thus far I'd wager on the 220 holding up the best to full power 10mm

I shot a fellows Glock as well. Didn't much care for it, but I don't care for them in general. The 10 was pretty punchy in it.
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
    I've put probably 500-700 rounds through it to this point. I load 180gr Cam Pros with Power Pistol as hot as I can that still shoots straight. Might try the 200s as its not a whole lot more impressive in the hand than 45ACP ball. Just louder and with a sharper recoil impulse.

If I find a good deal on the Ruger I may buy it, but only because I like Ruger.
    I made the switch to 200s a few years ago. My go-to loading with 200gr FMJTC is 7.4grs mof Power Pistol. I'd like to gel-test a similarly hot load with 200gr JHPs just to see what kind of mayhem it'll create.

I've been eyeballing the SR1911 in 10mm too, but I'm not fond of the looks of stainless, nor am I a fan of needing a pin to take it apart. The only P220 model I've been able to find in 10mm these days is the Kryptek dipped Hunter model. That makes what should have been a gorgeous pistol rather ugly.
    Yes, you can fix stupid, but the stupid folks have passed laws against it. - FallisCowboy

I'll give the 200's a go once I run out of the 180's. Not much point in owning a 10 if you're not taking it up to a 10

The bent paperclip I'm not over fond of either. It's going to be annoying to change out the spring, I'm guessing.

Likewise on only seeing the dipped SiG. A $2000 gun covered in decal...ugh..

there's also the tanfoglio offerings....most guns in the ''limited'''line up has the 10mm option.

Originally Posted by shortandlong
    Wtf , It makes about as much sense as feathers on a trout!
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbes/Hutton View Post
    I was hoping he would show up and do something useful in front of the cameras. Like beat the flames out with his face.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz Axxemann View Post
    I made the switch to 200s a few years ago. My go-to loading with 200gr FMJTC is 7.4grs mof Power Pistol. I'd like to gel-test a similarly hot load with 200gr JHPs just to see what kind of mayhem it'll create.

I've been eyeballing the SR1911 in 10mm too, but I'm not fond of the looks of stainless, nor am I a fan of needing a pin to take it apart. The only P220 model I've been able to find in 10mm these days is the Kryptek dipped Hunter model. That makes what should have been a gorgeous pistol rather ugly.
    7.4 gr? I put more in my 45 loads.

You could always replace the goofy reverse plug with a normal one. That's the beauty of the 1911 - there are tons of nice parts out there.

The RIA and Ruger have bull barrels, though - no using a proper recoil spring setup with those

The 1911 has always had a fully supported spring - It has a well thought out telescoping spring guide. Modern full length guide rods in place of that are a backwards and cumbersome step

I have a g20 and have shot a 10mm 1911. The glock is softer shooting with quicker followup shots... FOR ME.
    The 1911 is my favorite pistol. I prefer it in 45 though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12