Thread: Small game bow

Small game bow

I haven't used a bow since I was a kid(and only a handful of times then), but the idea of having one around for small game... rabbits, grouse, squirrels - has recently crept into my brain.
    I could also practice outside without any fuss from the neighbors.

So, having no knowledge of them, what would be a good bow for such a goal?
    How much money would I need to get into it?
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies. - H.L. Mencken

I'm looking at take down recurves in the 35#-ish range. I mostly want it to mount a reel on to take sucker and carp out of the creeks in the spring, but the water was so low this year in the creeks near the farm there wasn't much point. Seems like a decent one starts around $200-$225 at the archery range up the street. He generally comes in a hair cheaper than Cabelas with a lot of free knowledge tossed in for good measure. The staff all either hunt or shoot competitive archery, I found out some years ago an actual archery shop is a far better place for stringed instruments than any big box store. As evidenced by the constant stream of people coming in to get their Cabelas purchased bows fixed.....

Anyway, the takedown recurve seems a handy place to start. My compound setup, though nothing particularly fancy, set me back around $800 six or seven years back. Basic arrows with field points and a quiver won't set you back too much.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Have gun, will travel. Forbes/Hutton's Avatar
    https://www.mandarinduck.net/

https://www.mandarinduck.net/product...-right-handed/

The Phantom somewhere between 35-45 pounds will do, the riser can take any accessories you could want to add (sights, arrow rest, stabilizer (not really needed)).
    You'll have to find small game (blunt) arrowheads, they should srew right onto the arrows MD sells.
    Pick between glove/tab or release but make sure to get a wrist guard, learning how to hold the bow to avoid string slap is a painful lesson without one.
    Remember: the opposite of "Far Right" is Far Wrong.

4. The Following User Liked This Post By Forbes/Hutton

lone-wolf (07-03-2018)

"...practice outside..." That'd be a very decided maybe. Most firearms discharge by-laws include bows. Check that out first.
    Using a bow of any draw weight requires using muscles not used for anything else. Mostly upper body(back and shoulders, not your arms.). It requires constant practice as well. Especially for itty-bitty beasts like rabbits and tree rats. Plus you need to be fitted for arrows. Actually them to you. Best to go to a specialty archery shop not a shop that sells archery kit like Cabela's or Crappy Tire. They'll kit you out with a bow and arrows that fit. Most have an indoor range so you can try it out before buying.
    Do not buy a bow of any type that has a draw weight that is more than you can easily lift. As in if you can't easily lift a 35 pound box, you won't be able to pull a bow of that draw weight without hurting yourself. A recurve is easier to pull than a long bow of the same weight. A compound is a totally different critter.
    However, any hunting bow with blunts on will do. Birds are another thing though. There are special arrows heads for birds. Friggin' things are not cheap either. Cabela's(easiest place to find rough prices in Cdn dollars.) wants $13 each for small game arrow heads. Another brand runs $15 for 2. They're designed to catch on grass, etc. so they don't bury themselves under the grass. There's a point called a Snaro Bird Point too that's designed for hunting birds on the fly(arrows for those require a different kind of fletching too. A carbon-composite shaft with what's called Flu-Flu fletching run $13 each at Cabela's.) They run $13.99US each. Otherwise expect to pay ~ $50 plus per dozen for arrow shafts with no point. Lotta learning curve to bow hunting.
    Prices for just the bow start at about $170Cdn for what's called a 'stick bow'(not a compound) and can go to almost a grand for a compound. Yeah, pricey. Paid $350 for my compound in the mid 80's($350 was more money then). A 40 pound 'horse bow'(basically a gussied up fibreglass bow) cost me $300 years later. Had money then. So decide on your budget first. Just like everything else. Oh and get some upper body toning exercise.

Oh I can shoot outside if I want, I just want to be neighbourly and not a pita
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies. - H.L. Mencken