Large to small shank Savage conversion

I have a large shank Savage barrel in a caliber I want to build on and am wondering if I should or could convert the barrel to small shank or just try to find a large shank 308 bolt face action for the build? If conversion is the answer, who? Please advise.
    Gun control is supported by an illogical minority, which holds forth the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Possibly, depends on the size difference between the two. Is there enough cross sectional area to stack the two threads on top of each other without making the part too thin?

The short answer is it would prob be better to just find a bbl with the correct shank size.

Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    Possibly, depends on the size difference between the two. Is there enough cross sectional area to stack the two threads on top of each other without making the part too thin?

The short answer is it would prob be better to just find a bbl with the correct shank size.

The barrel I have is an unfired SS fluted take off from a Savage 10BA Stealth in 6.5cm. I wanted to build a standard all weather type bolt action rifle, but, It's a large shank and I cannot get a straight answer on what Savage action is large shank. I was told the barrel can be turned down, but, I want to confirm that before I buy an action. If it can be turned down even a Stevens 200 action with a 308 bolt face will work. With no gunsmiths in the area I am looking for expert opinion/help and perhaps a gunsmith's name to do the job.
    Gun control is supported by an illogical minority, which holds forth the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

FYI got a PM on another form that Henry Rempel in Alberta will turn the barrel down to small shank threads. Called him to confirm, which he did and given his reputation, I will be shipping the barrel to him. So now I am on the look out for an action(Stevens 200 most likely). Cheers!

Best to buy the right size barrel or receiver. Machine shop time runs well over $100 per hour plus set up time.
    "...on the look out for an action..." Actions alone are like hen's teeth. Try and find a receiver that has a beat up barrel with the same bolt face(.473" for a .308 family.) Even that can be difficult. Mind you, Savage does sell actions. Cheap they ain't though.
    A Savage M200 is the same action as a Model 110.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    Best to buy the right size barrel or receiver. Machine shop time runs well over $100 per hour plus set up time.
    "...on the look out for an action..." Actions alone are like hen's teeth. Try and find a receiver that has a beat up barrel with the same bolt face(.473" for a .308 family.) Even that can be difficult. Mind you, Savage does sell actions. Cheap they ain't though.
    Have been looking for more than 18 months for a large shank Savage action/donor rifle with a no go, sooo... $150 with shipping seems cheap to re-thread the barrel and then a Stevens 200 donor rifle for $350, what did I miss?

Quote Originally Posted by Curly1 View Post
    The barrel I have is an unfired SS fluted take off from a Savage 10BA Stealth in 6.5cm. I wanted to build a standard all weather type bolt action rifle, but, It's a large shank and I cannot get a straight answer on what Savage action is large shank. I was told the barrel can be turned down, but, I want to confirm that before I buy an action. If it can be turned down even a Stevens 200 action with a 308 bolt face will work. With no gunsmiths in the area I am looking for expert opinion/help and perhaps a gunsmith's name to do the job.
    Sorry, I thought you wanted to put a small shank bbl into a large shank action. Apparently I got it bass ackwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Curly1 View Post
    FYI got a PM on another form that Henry Rempel in Alberta will turn the barrel down to small shank threads. Called him to confirm, which he did and given his reputation, I will be shipping the barrel to him. So now I am on the look out for an action(Stevens 200 most likely). Cheers!
    Henry is a bloody good gun maker. I've got a former Hunter BR rifle that he originally built.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By Suputin

Curly1 (07-12-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    We used to just buy complete Rem 700 rifles, whatever the cheapest model was in order to harvest the action.