Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Media advisory, Thursday, July 12, 2018, 8 a.m., Police headquarters, media gallery, Gun Violence Reduction Plan announcement - Toronto Police Service news release 2018 07 11

http://torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/41594

webheader.jpg
    Media advisory,
    Thursday, July 12, 2018, 8 a.m.,
    Police headquarters, media gallery,
    Gun Violence Reduction Plan announcement

Broadcast time: 19:59
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Corporate Communications
    416-808-7100

On Thursday, July 12, 2018, at 8 a.m., in the media gallery at police headquarters, Chief Mark Saunders will be joined by Mayor John Tory to announce the Service’s Gun Violence Reduction Plan.

The news conference will be available on the TOC and will be live-streamed.

Please note that, for the safety of employees and visitors, all persons entering Toronto Police Service headquarters must go through security screening. You are not required to submit to screening. You may leave at any time but, if you do not consent to this screening, you will be denied entry. Thank you for your cooperation.

For more news, visit TPSnews.ca

Meaghan Gray, Corporate Communications

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    THIS IS THE "LIVE STREAM" LINK WHICH IS A YOUTUBE LINK

This isn't really news. The real news is the actual press conference tomorrow but I'm curious to see what angle they're going for.

Will they promote crime prevention/reduction or will they blame legal owners?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    The real news is the actual press conference tomorrow
    The original post is the actual press conference tomorrow. (about 11 hours from now)

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    The original post is the actual press conference tomorrow. (about 11 hours from now)
    I know. I posted it. I try to make posts as true to the original as possible, making edits only for formatting so I didn't want to add my comments in the original post.

Probably another useless amnesty that will get a few single shot .22's, broken down parts guns and some paintball/BB guns "off the streets"

Possibly but with all of the negative firearm activity in the city, I'm wary.
    There's been a lot of finger pointing going on from the police union and even a cop wrote a letter to the chief, which stirred the pot.

I'm afraid that the narrative will turn towards legal firearms owners as a source of firearms used in crime.

This is politics. Both Tory (mayor) and Saunders (police chief) are on the hot seat.
    We make an easy scapegoat.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Possibly but with all of the negative firearm activity in the city, I'm wary.
    There's been a lot of finger pointing going on from the police union and even a cop wrote a letter to the chief, which stirred the pot.

I'm afraid that the narrative will turn towards legal firearms owners as a source of firearms used in crime.

This is politics. Both Tory (mayor) and Saunders (police chief) are on the hot seat.
    We make an easy target.
    Fixed it.
    Yes, you can fix stupid, but the stupid folks have passed laws against it. Old, Caucasian, and male; so I am automatically a "racist". I can live with that, if you can't that's not my problem, cupcake.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By FallisCowboy

Shoe (07-12-2018)

Useless announcement.

$15 million in new money

$3 million for police.

$12 million for "gang prevention programs" to "steer youth away from that lifestyle"

Numbers should be reversed.

And unless they take the political correctness handcuffs off the cops and let the crack some heads, it's all a waste of money
    Last edited by soulchaser; 07-12-2018 at 11:32 AM.

10. The Following 6 Users Like This Post By soulchaser

50 B.M.G. (07-12-2018), canthitathing (07-12-2018), joe6167 (07-12-2018), manic29 (07-12-2018), Marcel (07-13-2018), Smc (07-12-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by soulchaser View Post
    Useless announcement.

$15 million in new money

$3 million for police.

$12 million for "gang prevention programs" to "steer youth away from that lifestyle"

Numbers should be reversed.

And unless they take the political correctness handcuffs off the cops and let the crack some heads, it's all a waste of money
    From what I've been seeing in the news, Toronto doesn't have the money.
    I'd like to see where Tory pulls it from.

Hey, at least they weren't pointing fingers at legal owner. That was my biggest fear.

Thanks to Miller with his ban on new ranges in the city and with the closures of Union Station and McGregor Park there's even less places to shoot. So now I have to shlep my butt an hour out of the city to the range. All of the ranges I checked out within the city and reasonable driving distance had mile long waiting lists.

Just listened to the press conference..... And there it is

Okay well timecode linking doesn't work with the site so hit THIS LINK or fast forward to 7:47.

Transcript excerpt ****translated by YouTube so accuracy not guaranteed*****

07:45
    will be outlined in the coming days I
    07:47
    will also be continuing my strong
    07:50
    advocacy on stricter gun control laws
    07:52
    tighter bail conditions and our ability
    07:54
    to prevent drug and gun offenders from
    07:56
    returning to TCHC housing all things
    07:59
    you've heard me speak about and the
    08:00
    public have heard me speak about over
    08:02
    time
    Last edited by Shoe; 07-12-2018 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Editted link to proper time code.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast