Powder coating cast bullets

Had a bit of time on my hands. Cast probably 1500 bullets and powder coated them all. 600 230 gr 453 semi wad cutter 45acp. 900 124gr rn .356 9mm. Great day for casting outdoors.

The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

2. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By tigrr

Drache (08-07-2018), firemachine69 (08-06-2018), Rory McCanuck (08-06-2018), Swingerguy (08-07-2018)

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Damn, those look nice Tigerr. Great job !
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

So do you just put them in a jar with some powder and swirl them around? That just sounds too easy. Do you size after powder?

I like this method because it gets away from the sticky alox lube. Nothing left in the barrel after 100 rounds either. Going to do some 500 gr .458 and see how they work.
    The bullets sit on a silicone rubber cookie sheet in the oven for 20 minutes at 400 degrees f. works slick. I stand the 45 cal bullets up but lay down anything smaller. I bust any that are stuck together while they are still quite warm. It gets harder to bust apart if they are cool.
    The bullets and powder get shaken up for 5 minutes and come out fully coated. Then pour bullets and remaining powder into a sieve to remove excess powder and then pour onto the cookie sheet. I size my 45 acp and 9mm but shoot 40 cal as cast and coated.
    Last edited by tigrr; 08-07-2018 at 07:30 AM.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

6. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By tigrr

Drache (08-07-2018), Rory McCanuck (08-07-2018)

Well damn, now I have another project to put in the cue, haven't even gotten around to casting yet, but have everything to do it, and now you made me want all the powder coat stuff, hum, silicone sheets on sale a can tire maybe, I think we're due for a new toaster oven anyway.

silicone sheets at the dollar store. Feels better when I cut the cheap ones to fit my toaster oven pan.
    New toaster oven at the Salvation army store $5. Powder coat on sale at Princess Auto $7 something. Works. The powder coating comes in clear now. Just not at PA.

Approx how many bullets from an 8 oz bottle of powder, i know it depends on size, but just to get an idea what to get, I'll be driving by a princess auto next week.

What exactly is in the powder? Anything that might be abrasive? Any lubricating qualities?
    Obviously it prevents leading, but is anything else going on?

Made in China, so probably contains lead.

The powder may be a thermoplastic or a thermoset polymer resin. It is usually used to create a hard finish that is tougher than conventional paint.
    The 8 oz will coat probably 20000 bullets. I've done 3-4000 out of the red already.