Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Banned
    That's very nice for a first gun. My first gun was a Ruger 10/22. I see you've got a good scope there, and you picked bolt-action instead of semi-auto, I guess you want it to shoot accurately instead of fast?

Quote Originally Posted by Morivond View Post
    That's very nice for a first gun. My first gun was a Ruger 10/22. I see you've got a good scope there, and you picked bolt-action instead of semi-auto, I guess you want it to shoot accurately instead of fast?
    Many years ago I put a single shot target rifle up against a heavy barrel 10/22 in the gopher fields of S Alberta. After many days of shooting against each other, I was on the brink of conceding defeat when my opponent beat me to the punch and declared he needed an accurate target rifle cause he was sick of watching me produce such high kill rates. On the other hand I was sick of seeing him walk bullets onto running gophers and produce follow up shots faster than I could rack the bolt open.

While he was a hell of a good shot, he went through ferocious amounts of ammo in the process and produced a very low kill ratio per shot. After a bit of experimentation we realized that the semi-auto encouraged slovenly marksmanship in even the most methodical shooter because in the back of your head you know there is always another shot available.

Whereas the single shot target rifle caused even the most haphazard shooter to slow down, take their time and focus on marksmanship because there was simply no follow up shot available.

At the time I was producing a kill ratio upwards of 70% with my single shot rifle. And these were not short range gimme's but lots of hits well out past 100yds.

The target 10/22's are great rifles but they encourage poor marksmanship and result in much lower hit ratios. Just depends on what you want out of a rifle.

I love my heavy barrel bolt but it's useless against buddy's 10/22 on his dueling tree, right now I use a heavy barrel 597

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    I love my heavy barrel bolt but it's useless against buddy's 10/22 on his dueling tree, right now I use a heavy barrel 597
    Bottle caps at 150 yds would even things up a bit.

uncertain what that has to do with a dueling tree, we shoot at several different types of targets, different platforms for different disciplines

Beautiful gun!

I just ordered my first gun today, same gun but the Canadian version Along with 2 bricks of CCI Minimags, box of Federal Automatch, brick of Velocitors to play with longer distance... looking forward to it!!!

7. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Gostumpy

Eel (09-14-2018), Rory McCanuck (09-13-2018)

Velocitors are crap. Thy don't group for sh!t.

Try some Eley too.

10. The Following User Liked This Post By MarkR

Suputin (09-14-2018)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345