Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
    I ran some SK standard this weekend. I don't think that it was statistically better than CCI in my rifles.

One thing I hated about it is the cartridges are oiled, or have some sort of lube on them. Near impossible to load up a 10 round CZ mag with those mini greased pigs.

And they smell funny...

Why on earth are they greased? Easier to run through a straight pull rifle?
    SK Standard are the budget match practice ammo made by Eley. Thus the primer, which I agree is not satisfying to smell.

Match grade ammo is made to tighter tolerance QC. They are designed for target rifles and have a wax coating on the LRN.

In what I have read it is a waste to use the match grade in something like a semi, the burnt residue from the wax just gum up the firearm during blow back.

I've posted this link before from a retired gunsmith on the Ruger forums:

https://rugerforum.net/ammo-dump/598...ed-vs-lrn.html

Read the responses from Iowegan.

Winchester wild cats are my favorite. They cost the least and are just as accurate as any other ammo I have tired.

The Cooey 60 with wild cats combo can hit clays are 100 meters, assuming I do my part

I like the federal bulk packs.
    I've had good luck over all with them.
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

I have a shit ton of .22 I acquired when the cadet corps dropped their .22 rifles....it shoots great
    Calvin Martin, Q.C. 1933 - 2014

I would like to apologize to anyone i have not offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by wolver View Post
    I've often heard to break .22's in with Mini Mags. What's it mean to "break in" a gun, and what does it matter if you use Mini Mags of Thunderbolts?
    22's don't need a "break in" and what does anyone imagine is occurring by shooting a few soft lead bullets down a steel bore at 1200fps?

Properly maintained I bet a 22 rifle could shoot hundreds of thousands of rounds with hardly any wear at all to the bore.

Most 22 rifles are worn out by improper cleaning.

6. The Following User Liked This Post By Suputin

grc1 (10-07-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    Buy one box of everything you can find. Shoot from a benchrest, use some sort of a standard target, keep records, and you will soon see which ones feed best, shoot best; in each gun.
    THIS

Is the only advice worth following when it comes to choosing a 22 ammo. My favourite ammo for my rifle is completely irrelevant to what may or may not work in your rifle and what may fill your performance needs.

Quote Originally Posted by MissMeggie View Post
    I've tried doing some searching here briefly and can't see a thread on this already (other than comparing prices) so here goes:

What is your favourite .22LR ammo?

We have some Winchester Dynapoints that we got on sale and I'm not really fussy on them. They seem really dirty and I've had couple of feeding issues and misfires with them. A friend seems to like the Remington Thunderbolts but I've never tried them.
    I've heard that CCI Mini Mags are great and a local store has a decent deal on CCI Blazers but I know nothing about them.
    Misfires are a fact of life with virtually all 22 rimfire ammo .... except maybe the really expensive target stuff. For sure I have found ammo brands that have more than others but most all of them will have misfires.

Dirty is also a fact of life in the rimfire world. Spend some money and get a god cleaning rod and a rod guide as well as some rimfire specific cleaning fluid and learn to clean your rifle properly without damaging the bore.

Feeding is for sure an issue with some ammo types but it would be worth testing a few similar types to make sure the problem is not your rifle.

After that you need to consider what amount of accuracy and terminal performance you require for the type of shooting you expect to do. The combination of accuracy and downrange performance will dictate the ammo to test.

Then buy a bunch of different makes and styles and spend some time at the bench shooting groups. This is the only way to choose an ammo for your rifle.

Generally a higher quality bullet will be more accurate but not necessarily in your gun.

A friends son toured the Lapua factory and they make all their .22rf on the same machines with the same components. They test all the lots they make and the most accurate are packaged as their most expensive. There is no difference in how any is manufactured.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Enfield View Post
    Generally a higher quality bullet will be more accurate but not necessarily in your gun.

A friends son toured the Lapua factory and they make all their .22rf on the same machines with the same components. They test all the lots they make and the most accurate are packaged as their most expensive. There is no difference in how any is manufactured.
    Interesting.

With all the different uses for 22 rimfire, accuracy is not the only factor to consider. I tested all kinds of different ammo in my target rifle and the one we eventually settled on is not in the top 4 or 5 most accurate. The other factors that were important to me were a bit more velocity (above typical target ammo) for longer ranges and a big hollow point that produced more effective downrange effects on gophers. An expensive, super accurate, low velocity ball round simply did not fulfill the requirements for high volume field shooting.

CCI Minimag 40 grn...and nothing else for me
    Harley

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast