Best Method for Getting Horns to Gleam?

Amazingly my beautiful wife suggested that if I spit polish up my most memorable moose rack that I can mount it over the fireplace. Itís been in my shop now for a decade and starting to look a little dull and the skull has started to yellow a little.

Lots of info out there but whoís had the best success with what?

Cheers.

I’ve never used it on horns, but “Buffalo Milke” is an amazing wonder product for dang near anything you want shiny. Paint, plastic, vinyl, glass, etc. Did incredible stuff to a couple of my vehicles that I had no expectations of results. Maybe try the backside of the rack first to see.

If nothing else many coats of polyurethane?

Bullwinkle doesn't have horns. He has antlers. Different things. So is the skull.
    There are lots of How-to's online.
    It is alleged that a bit of regular bleach(potassium permanganate supposedly works too) in water will clean antlers. Then do this.
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index...,344938.0.html
    Have a look at this for the skull. It's bleaching too.
    https://www.ballistol-shop.de/Trophy...g_B-S_293.html

http://www.bowhunting.net/taxidermy/care.htm#top

You have taken the time and money to have that memorable hunt preserved by having your trophy mounted, now you need to take care of it so it will last a life time. Everyone assumes the mount has been preserved for life but that is not really the case, only the skin has been treated with a tan solution. There are all kinds of insects that love to eat hair follicles, horns, leather, etc. There are dermestid (insects), Moths that will go after your trophy if not maintained by you. Before the EPA (environmental protection agency) stop the tanneries from using strong toxic chemicals it was not as much a problem but now they are not aloud to use toxic chemical in there tanning like Arsenic. So here are some basic things you need do to keep your mount clean and safe.

To clean the eyes use a Q-tip and Windex. To clean the hair you can use a furniture polish like pelage and a clean white wash cloth. Spray a little on the cloth and start at the head and go toward the rear, NEVER brush against the grain of the hair. For the horns/antlers I use a product called Liquid gold you can also find this in the furniture polish section of your favorite store, just apply to a clean cloth and wipe on, it will go on shiny but when it is dry will look natural.

Don't say this will never happen to you it happens in the best taxidermy shops, museums, and homes. Let me tell you a short true story. All my mounts are in my taxidermy shop and treated with the exception of a squirrel that is in my sons bedroom. He was 3 than and I got him a cap double barrel shotgun from Cabelas for Christmas, so of course he wanted to have something of his own mounted. I put out a small pile of corn on the edge of our woods and let him "shoot" a squirrel from our deck. The mount was in his room for 3 1/2 years (without any treatment). His room is on the second floor and I find little need to go up since I am the "boss" he has to come down, so since it was out of sight it was also out of mind.. Last month the little lady said she was doing her normal dusting and found some fur on the carpet under the squirrel and thought I better have a close look cause it was looking sick. I knew before I even went up the stairs what it was, Dermestid insects. The mount was not worth saving as there was hair loss on the face. This could just as easy been a Grizzly bear, Big horn sheep, or a Polar bear with these trophies not easy replaced. So you can see it can happen any where even in the cleanest homes, museums etc.

My shop is treated once or twice a year with a product called "Mount Shield", I buy it commercially in a concentrate, I spray it on, let it dry, than brush my mounts. I do this after I have cleaned them. I sell a small 2oz spray bottle in my shop for my customers for $8.40 (this includes tax) ask your taxidermist to order you some if he/she does not stock it. If they are not sure where to get it have them call or Email me and I will give them details or where to order it.

If you have any questions Email me Visit my web site http://www.wildlifeartistry.com

Thanks Gents, some damn good info right there! I was on my phone on the op and too lazy to spell antlers for my swamp donkeys rack... lol No mocking my kids first deer

This is what Iím looking into gussy up a bit, was a Hell of an adventure with that bugger and havenít pulled an LEH since....

Cheers

15D04059-56E7-4C0F-9600-A28E17593D54.jpg18EBD787-F7C9-46C6-8688-DDB8E4415147.jpg