Thread: 308 MSR weight

308 MSR weight

With more and more .308 MSR’s coming on stream, I’m considering grabbing one for big game, mainly because I love the style, and sort of want to help lead the modern style, that being said, I’ve hunted and on some level will continue to hunt with my bolt actions.

Basically I’m curious how they new MSR’s stack up weight wise compared to your average wood/synthetic bolt actions.

I can’t find much on the new rifles so anyone with one that knows the weight please chime in, ie. BCL102, maccabee defends slr, Stag-10 GI, etc. Please feel free to mention any and all you can think of.

•Stag-10 GI - 8.2 lbs (Stag Arms site)
    Last edited by DTC709; 09-14-2018 at 01:29 AM.

The Savage weighs 7.8 pounds. The DPMS GII Hunter weighs 7.6 pounds. I believe people are still waiting for the BCL102 to even be in production, the "Wave 2" version weighs 8.9 pounds. All of 'em are a bit lighter or the same as a regular scoped bolt action. All this info can be easily found with a net search.
    Where you are may matter. An MSR will draw unwanted attention for LEO and maybe the CO's.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    The Savage weighs 7.8 pounds. The DPMS GII Hunter weighs 7.6 pounds. I believe people are still waiting for the BCL102 to even be in production, the "Wave 2" version weighs 8.9 pounds. All of 'em are a bit lighter or the same as a regular scoped bolt action. All this info can be easily found with a net search.
    Where you are may matter. An MSR will draw unwanted attention for LEO and maybe the CO's.
    Couple rifles there I never thought to look up. And yeah since posting I’ve been doing my own searching and seeing basically the same as your saying. Which is nice, cause usually my mind goes to excessively heavier.

As for LEO’s & CO’s, I’m in Newfoundland so I honestly can’t see much issue. But I wouldn’t let me it stop me regardless. I’ll gladly carry the proper paper work and ensure I’m well versed for a discussion about the ‘need’ to carry a MSR for hunting, which I’m sure would come up. Could change some minds and give people food for thought maybe.

Did a net search for '.308 MSR'. Hordes of 'em. Not all are non-restricted due to barrel length. The only other thing is local availability. Probably a special order thing in Newfoundland anyway though.
    It's mostly because the things look like AR's. It really shouldn't be an issue considering they're not restricted, but neither cops nor CO's know the difference.
    In the old days, I knew guys who carried FAL's for hunting. 12 pounds or so. Still just a semi-auto .308.
    I'd love to be able to use my semi'd Winchester M14. Has the fibreglass stock and is 9 pounds empty, but balances perfectly. Far too evil, being a 12(3), of course.